Experian vs. Equifax

Comments

• DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The link to equifax in post #33 has changed.

It is now at :

https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/consumer/uk/gb_consumerletter.ehtml

Cheers, Des.
  • Anyone aware of a high street/mainstream mortgage lender that uses purely Equifax for the credit check searches?
  • Tesco loans uses equifax.

Natwest loans uses both.
  • Cerbera_2
    Cerbera_2 Posts: 1,317 Forumite
    Spoke with Halifax Credit Card people during the week. I was trying to get my APR lowered which they cannot do :confused:

Anyway the girl told me APR's are based on your credit rating and I should check with my Credit Files. :rolleyes:

I told her I had done this with Equifax, 'Oh yes that's who we use!' she replied.

So basically another confirmation that Halifax uses Equifax :beer:
    NCFC Member #00012 :cool:
  • Just be careful. Applied for Halifax loan, Sainsbury loan, IF cc, and BOS cc (all of which are halifax), they all used experian. None of them checked my equifax report
  • I must say I have found that lenders don't always use the same CRA as stated in these posts.

I tried applying for a CC with one of the companies listed under the Equifax column. They used experian and declined me!

Maybe they chop and change to prevent people 'cheating'!
  • Cerbera_2
    Cerbera_2 Posts: 1,317 Forumite
    As I said I have my Equifax report so I'm just going to order the Experian one now!!
    NCFC Member #00012 :cool:
  • Hey all...

I have copies of all three credit reports and although I don't have much on my credit reports I can confirm the following:

Capital One check both Equifax & Experian

Nationwide check Experian only

Barclaycard checks Equifax only

Barclays current account checks Experian

Vodafone check Equifax, but also report account information to Call Credit & Experian

MBNA check Equifax (not on my credit report, but I spoke to them on the phone and asked who they use so I could check my report)

Cahoot check Experian only (although they don't seem to check it if you don't meet their internal credit score!)

Royal Bank of Scotland checks with Equifax (not on my credit report, but I spoke to them on the phone and askey who they use so I could check my report)

Hope this helps....
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Here is my experience:

NTL used Equifax only (but this dates 6 years back, so my be correct or not)

GE Capital (behind a lot of the store cards), RBOS, T-Mobile and MBNA used both, Equifax and Experian

The following used Equifax only: Camelot (Lotterie), Nationwide, Cahoot, Egg, Liverpool Victoria (Saga), ICICI, ING, Alliance and Leicester.

I also noticed that registering with what are traditionally mailorder companies (FiftyPlus, ShoeTailor) resulted in Experian searches for only registering with them! I can't recall that I authorised them during sign-up, or even that I signed up for an account, but that's what the credit agencies say I did), but will pay more attention in future to hidden smallprints....
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think we may be wasting our time here with this feedback. The reason being that my reports directly conflict with at least 6 of the most recent posts.

But, for what it's worth, with my applications...

Egg, Virgin, LTSB, IF, M&S, & Capital One ALL searched Experian.

The ONLY one of the above to search Equifax was Capital One.

They all report to BOTH Equifax AND Experian, with the exception of LTSB who report to neither (yet!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure