Baby stuff - Am I missing something?!

124»

Comments

  • grey_lady
    grey_lady Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    Argos do a cheap play mat which I can recommend - likewise a cheap bouncer.

    I'd also add bottles/steam sterilizer and a sling/wrap.

    I have a Mobi wrap (sling) that I'd happily pass along to the OP if she pm's me her address.

    Oh and nappies - tesco cheeky bots are half price - £15 for a month's worth of nappies.
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • vickylee
    vickylee Posts: 222 Forumite
    It's not essential, and I only got one because it was cheap at the car boot, is a bath seat/support for baby.

    My hubby worked night shifts, and bathed our first baby with no problems whilst he was on paternity leave. But when I tried to bath the baby, when hubby was back at work, he screamed and wriggled and I was scared that I would drop him (and very nearly did).

    I got a bath seat for £3 at the car boot and bath time was never a problem again. Plus it means you have both hands free.

    With baby no 2, he went in the support seat for his second ever bath, and only screamed for his first when hubby bathed him without. He's not quite 3 months yet, and loves bath time.

    So if you do see one for a couple of quid, it can make bath time so much easier.
    Mum to 2 cheeky little monkeys! :D
    Usborne Books at Home Organiser
  • Sid_Wolf
    Sid_Wolf Posts: 485 Forumite
    Bluemeanie wrote: »
    Hello Sid.

    I've got some hats but not socks or shoes? I think they kick them off a lot by the amount I see on fences or posts? Makes me feel sad...shoes belong in pairs. I hate seeing one glove too! Lol. Will I need any?

    dont bother with shoes, my son has a couple of pairs and i've never used them! But yes unless you're only going to use sleepysuits with feet you'll need socks, personally I only use sleepysuits at night and i get him dressed in 'day' clothes in the morning, so we do need socks :) Only get one pack though I tend to use socks 2 days in a row, its not like they get dirty! lol

    We dont use scratch mitts either, but he doesnt scratch at his face, some babies are terrible for it! But you can get sleepysuits with built in mitts (ends of the arms fold over), next ones have them and i think sainsburys do aswell :)
    I'm not a bloke! :rotfl:My real name is Sinead, Sid is my nickname :rotfl:
  • Sid_Wolf
    Sid_Wolf Posts: 485 Forumite
    vickylee wrote: »
    It's not essential, and I only got one because it was cheap at the car boot, is a bath seat/support for baby.

    My hubby worked night shifts, and bathed our first baby with no problems whilst he was on paternity leave. But when I tried to bath the baby, when hubby was back at work, he screamed and wriggled and I was scared that I would drop him (and very nearly did).

    I got a bath seat for £3 at the car boot and bath time was never a problem again. Plus it means you have both hands free.

    With baby no 2, he went in the support seat for his second ever bath, and only screamed for his first when hubby bathed him without. He's not quite 3 months yet, and loves bath time.

    So if you do see one for a couple of quid, it can make bath time so much easier.

    agree with this, we didnt buy a bath or any support, we planned on bathing with him or using the sink, but we got given a seat/hammock thing and its fantastic, its made of flannel stuff so it cleans his back and i dont have to worry about holding him :o He loves his baths aswell :D

    this is our one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jane-40326-Bath-Support-Hammock/dp/B003AS5SOC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368052275&sr=8-2&keywords=bath+hammock
    I'm not a bloke! :rotfl:My real name is Sinead, Sid is my nickname :rotfl:
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bluemeanie wrote: »
    Hello Sid.

    I've got some hats but not socks or shoes? I think they kick them off a lot by the amount I see on fences or posts? Makes me feel sad...shoes belong in pairs. I hate seeing one glove too! Lol. Will I need any?

    Sock-ons are one of the few more recent baby inventions I think are amazing (especially if you have an older sibling with an utterly irrational grudge against socks very fond of doing crawl-by de-sockings of her younger sister).
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    I know many people think a baby bath is a waste but I bought the Mamas & Papas moulded 2-way one and am still using it 2 years+ later. Think how much hot water you save only filling that instead of a whole bath.

    Also, beware if you buy sock-ons - they are so small one got sucked down the drainage pipe of my washing machine and resulted in a costly repair.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,291
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Make-it-3 wrote: »
    Also, beware if you buy sock-ons - they are so small one got sucked down the drainage pipe of my washing machine and resulted in a costly repair.
    I pop all small items in one of those net laundry bags (you can buy them in supermarkets) much cheaper and easier than washing machine repairs!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £0
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • lambanana
    lambanana Posts: 685 Forumite
    I rarely washed sock ons as they didn't get dirty and just gave them a quick handwash now and then as they dry so quickly. They are such a fantastic invention! That is assuming you don't do full time babygrows with feet covered of course.

    I'd agree on some sort of bouncy chair or rocker and also slings but try out at a sling library if you have one locally to see what suits before you buy.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Make-it-3 wrote: »
    I know many people think a baby bath is a waste but I bought the Mamas & Papas moulded 2-way one and am still using it 2 years+ later. Think how much hot water you save only filling that instead of a whole bath.

    Also, beware if you buy sock-ons - they are so small one got sucked down the drainage pipe of my washing machine and resulted in a costly repair.

    I put them inside a sock and tied it at the end.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • Lola888
    Lola888 Posts: 975
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I would say don't buy too much as when the baby is born people will give you loads. I also got loads of gift vouchers so anything you don't buy now you can use vouchers to get.

    I loved gro-bags for my LO to sleep in. She would kick off blankets so the gro bag made sure she was warm
    Got married 13/11/10 :)
    DD1 born 25/03/12 :D
    DD2 born 28/11/13 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards