Baby stuff - Am I missing something?!

Comments

• Canucksfan
    Canucksfan Posts: 169
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi Blue!
    Congrats on your little one! The No 1 thing that I found most useful when I had my baby in December was...five other children! As soon as they came home from school, the baby was waiting in his pram, all bundled up and the kids took it in turns to walk him up and down the street and then hand him off to the next sibling in line - this relay took place everyday, rain or shine. Having the other children there to talk and amuse him was just the best thing ever. DS would stop crying and fussing and I could charge around the house doing the most essential jobs only/logging onto MSE etc etc! :rotfl:
    'You've got to tell your money what to do or it will leave!' Dave Ramsey
  • mysk_girl
    mysk_girl Posts: 803
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    fluffysox wrote: »
    Also not needed til 6 months but if you see a highchair while carboot season on perhaps? We got one from neighbours. They cost lots new.

Or go for the ikea £12 one :-) had one for all 3 of mine (just weaning baby at the moment). It's great, and you can take the legs off and put the seat bit in a dishwasher. I had a great big plush padded one with no.1 for a bit, it was a nightmare to keep clean, had to dismantle it to get the straps in the wash and it took up vast amounts of space. Got rid and bought the IKEA one, was just perfect :-)
  • duckeggblue
    duckeggblue Posts: 439 Forumite
    Scratch mitts?
    If you don't leap, you'll never know what it is to fly :heartpuls
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Scratch mitts?

Lots of babygros have them integrated, or just put socks on hand as they're more likely to stay on than the mitts which are useless. I rarely bother with any to be honest- I like dinky little baby hands too much and this one isn't a bad face scratcher.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • Bluemeanie_2
    Bluemeanie_2 Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions! I picked a play mat up this morning from the car boot for .....£3! It's the John Lewis one that's about £50 so chuffed!
    I'm never offended by debate & opinions. As a wise man called Voltaire once said, "I disagree with what you say, but will defend until death your right to say it."
    Mortgage is my only debt - Original mortgage - January 2008 = £88,400, March 2014 = £47,000 Chipping away slowly! Now saving to move.
  • Sid_Wolf
    Sid_Wolf Posts: 485 Forumite
    my swing (£25 kiddicare) is a lifesaver, my son loves it, he loathes his bouncy chair with a passion!

you'll need a little hat, they loose a lot of heat from the top of their heads.

if you plan on disposable nappies try asda little angels, less than £4 per pack and miles better than pampers IMO, pampers are much thinner, the LA ones actually look comfy! also LA wipes can be bought in boxes of 6 for £4 and are great, they have the clicky lids not the sticky strips so your wipes stay really moist :)
    I'm not a bloke! :rotfl:My real name is Sinead, Sid is my nickname :rotfl:
  • debbieme
    debbieme Posts: 54 Forumite
    another saving money tip is try the new xpanda bra , its got adjustable cup sizes in the one bra so you only need to but the one .free delivery and here is a 15% off code MAYXPAND13 which can be redeemed at their checkout Myself and my friends have bought one of these excellent bra saving us mums money check them out @ xpandabra
    good luck
    debbie
  • Bluemeanie_2
    Bluemeanie_2 Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Hello Sid.

I've got some hats but not socks or shoes? I think they kick them off a lot by the amount I see on fences or posts? Makes me feel sad...shoes belong in pairs. I hate seeing one glove too! Lol. Will I need any?
    I'm never offended by debate & opinions. As a wise man called Voltaire once said, "I disagree with what you say, but will defend until death your right to say it."
    Mortgage is my only debt - Original mortgage - January 2008 = £88,400, March 2014 = £47,000 Chipping away slowly! Now saving to move.
  • mysk_girl
    mysk_girl Posts: 803
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I never used socks until they were 4/5 months old - just had them in babygros with feet on, or tights (both girls and boys!). Socks fell off to easily, but you can get some things called sock-ons, which are pretty nifty...

As for gloves, I just kept the nails well trimmed, never had any problems :-)
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Do make sure that you tap your midwife for the free maternity books that you can get at the clinic/hospital.

"Emma's Diary" is a popular one, there are loads of vouchers inside and online baby clubs for you to join where you can get money off stuff and free samples etc. (Just don't give your real phone number on any of the forms or you will end up with loads of hard-sell phone calls from life assurance companies and the like. Set up an email address just for the offers, you will get loads of spam email too!)

The famous "Bounty Packs" are very popular, again, you will get loads of online offers although the free samples seem to be a bit thin on the ground lately, the most I've seen in recent ones are a stingy pack of stretch mark cream and a free sample of washing powder tablets......still, every little helps as they say! ;)

Good luck with your pregnancy! (and with the money-saving :D)
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport