We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Beware of unnecessary payment hikes - Scottish Power

Options

Comments

• Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    This T&C refers to payments due under the package.

Payments due under the package are due until the end date of the package. If you cancel the DD on 1 July with your bank, in the example you gave, no payment would be taken on 7 July.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • DirectDebacle
    DirectDebacle Posts: 2,045 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2013 at 10:34AM
    Options
    Thank you for the response but you haven't answered my question (post #58) which was:
    A condition of the contract is that the account be paid by monthly DD. The contract ends on 30/6/13 and the DD payments are taken 7th of each month.

On 8th June 2013 the customer cancels the DD with their bank and notifies SP of this. Is a cancellation fee generated because the DD has been cancelled prior to 30/6/13?

You did explain that cancellation fees are not applied to non compliance with the payment conditions but would cause the customer to be put on a standard tariff.
    Payments due under the package are due until the end date of the package. If you cancel the DD on 1 July with your bank, in the example you gave, no payment would be taken on 7 July.

This statement does not answer my question or address the points raised in post #79.[STRIKE] It appears, untypically, to be evasive.[/STRIKE]

Will a customer be put on a standard tariff if the payment method is cancelled after the last payment due is made but before the end date of the package? If so please give the reasons.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^
    It will as you had the foresight to cancel the DD immediately after the final payment due under the contract had been made. If SP 'accidentally' and prematurely put you on their standard rate and/or apply cancellation fees, at least they won't be able to plunder your account for them.

Good luck with the switch.

Thanks. Not cancelled yet, see below.

My deal ends on 30th June with next DD due on 1st July and the DD will be cancelled very close to 30th June. This is because that after previously cancelling my DD when in dispute with yourselves, you were very quick to immediately move me to a more expensive tariff.

With my switch imminent, you will get as little as possible at a higher rate and will get the final bill paid when due instead of !!!!ing around waiting on a refund from a company as bad as Scottish Power for customer service.

I got two different apologetic e-mails last week for your crap service. That's what happens when SP insist on employing idiots that don't even understand the English language.

My experience so far with EDF makes Scottish Power look like utter wanks.
  • keiran
    keiran Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 June 2013 at 7:11PM
    Options
    Aren't SP utterly the worst piece of crap???

And don't blame the overseas folk... in my experience the natives here are utterly stupid and beyond any salvation

I would happily kill off each and every one of the managers/employees in a very slow, prolonged fashion given a chance...and I'm a peace-loving vegetarian
  • eschaton
    Options
    keiran wrote: »
    Aren't SP utterly the worst piece of crap???

And don't blame the overseas folk... in my experience the natives here are utterly stupid and beyond any salvation

I would happily kill off each and every one of the managers/employees in a very slow, prolonged fashion given a chance...and I'm a peace-loving vegetarian

To be fair, in my experience the UK staff have had to do the apologising (repeatedly) and the foreign staff demonstrate their inability to read.

But it's the overall service that matters which is in fact crap.

As for killing them all off in a very slow prolonged fashion - I'd prefer it to be much quicker :)
  • DirectDebacle
    DirectDebacle Posts: 2,045 Forumite
    Options

My deal ends on 30th June with next DD due on 1st July and the DD will be cancelled very close to 30th June.

I think this explains the SP reps odd reply to my question. Seems to have confused your situation with mine. So wasn't being evasive, just made a mistake. Apologies to SP rep.
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do find this thread very strange. The one time Scottish Power requested to up my direct debit, I called up to make sure it stayed the same and it did. Didn't even have to give my reasoning.

Maybe I'm special? :p
  • eschaton
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    I do find this thread very strange. The one time Scottish Power requested to up my direct debit, I called up to make sure it stayed the same and it did. Didn't even have to give my reasoning.

Maybe I'm special? :p

Some people had to do it repeatedly which is why they are changing supplier.

Very rarely did their figures add up. Their latest effort for myself included £70.47 of debt - there was £1.
    97 of debt. Including this made up debt, it made my payment £71.51. This meant that without the made up debt, my payment should have been £65.80.

They wanted to make the payment £79.00 and did so. I then started the transfer to a new supplier. Days later I did the same for my parents account.
  • sneaky
    sneaky Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Scottish Rep can you please explain to me why my monthly forecast will be changing from £95 to £185 after I have just provided my first meter reading (for 3 months) and have only made two payments??? The account will be £65 in debit after my payment for June is taken next week. If my quarterly usage stays the same (unlikely as just had a wedding at the house) £350 x 4 /12 = £116 should be the new forecast?

It would be understandable if there was some history to the account but to change after two months is very poor. I rather pay the cancellation fees and get out as it's not the best of starts and can't see it getting any better.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Because they can? And no doubt because they need to ensure they get as much of the payment due paid off as the have no wish to supply credit.

If you do not choose to pay the bill on presentation, then you have to fall in with their scheme - however it has been configured.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport