PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What Type of Washing (Laundry) Cleaning Product Do You Use?

Options

Comments

• honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Someone has suggested liquid or gel clogs up the waste water areas of the machine and pipes.

It's also been suggested Soda Crystals fade colours...

Has anyone else heard this?
    I think there was a thread here about gel clogging the washing machine and there was advice from a repairman (or links to his site perhaps?)
  • cyclingyorkie
    cyclingyorkie Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i looked in the instruction book for my Miele recently and it advised using powders as liquids do not have the bleaching/whitening agents in them.

That day I bought some powder and washed my white cotton sheets - and they did look an awful lot brighter...
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Powder from Ebay and is cheap as chips and is Persil both Bio and Non-bio. Whole years worth and dishwashing powder for the year for about £30 max including delivery. Only need an egg cup full as concentrated.
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i looked in the instruction book for my Miele recently and it advised using powders as liquids do not have the bleaching/whitening agents in them.

That day I bought some powder and washed my white cotton sheets - and they did look an awful lot brighter...
    I found these tips from a washing machine repair man (but I couldn't find the thread I was looking for)
    You need to scroll down a bit for the six tips.

http://www.daviesdomesticappliance.co.uk/
  • sandyann63
    Options
    Just picked up some Sainsbobs Basics biological powder today. Has anyone here used it and if so, is it any good? Ta xx
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sandyann63 wrote: »
    Just picked up some Sainsbobs Basics biological powder today. Has anyone here used it and if so, is it any good? Ta xx

I've used that when I ran out of Al*i washing powder and couldn't get to the shop.
    It's fine - smells nice too, and my clothes were washed and not "itchy" like they are with some other brands. I'd use it again.
    Normal people worry me.
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i use ariel actilift powder for white, towels and bedding and ariel colour for the rest I am not bothered whether it is powder or liquid

I have tried others but havent found anything as good for keeping whites white as Ariel
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    as someone else said, I buy whatever's on offer, or if I go to the 99p shop I use what they're selling.
    I've never used tablets or sachet things though, as they seem really expensive.
    If nothing on a good enough offer I use Sainsburys basics. I've never really found any of it to be much better than another.
    I generally put some soda crystals in as well.
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For my coloureds I use a spoonful of soda crystals in powder drawer and vinegar in the fabric softener compartment. My whites are done on a hot wash with whatever is left in the pipes. Everything always smells lovely and clean, and gorgeously fragrant if dried on the line outside.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    I used to use just "whatever was on offer", powder or liquid mostly, I don't like paying "full" price for anything. I don't really know what the full price of a box of washing powder would be, since I just wouldn't pay more than £6 for a big box!

A few weeks ago I got a kilo each of borax and washing soda, and some soap bars. It cost less than £7 altogether and should make around 250 washes's worth of washing powder (or laundry gloop, but the powder is easier to manage and store), I probably do 5-7 washes a week so it's much cheaper than shop bought and I haven't noticed my clothes being any the worse for it.

It's easy to make - finely grate a cheap soap bar (expensive soaps might have lotions or oils which can stain the clothes) add a cup/200g of washing soda and the same of borax. Mix really well, store in a tub and use 1tbsp per wash, putting it in the machine before the clothes apparently works better than in the drawer. Ta-da! Under 3p per wash load!

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business