PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Using things up vs declutter

Options

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I banned myself from buying any more toiletries last year until I ran out, even after throwing anything away that had been open more than 12 months I had LOADS! I now have a big box which has the extras in, then out the ones I am using at the time which reduces having loads of part used things laying around, when they empty I get another out of the box. Box has a list in so can check off what is left. No kidding most are lasting me still and I put myself on the 'ban' last September :o It is working, DPs shower gel stash (he likes Mint Source so I bought loads every time I seen it on offer) and mine is now in single figures :rotfl: yes it was that bad!

Sets I won't use and haven't opened I donated to the school for raffle/tombola prizes.

Hope we have a good summer, I have 14 bottles/tubes of unused sun cream :o
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Sallys_Savings
    Sallys_Savings Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Options
    lil_me wrote: »
    I banned myself from buying any more toiletries last year until I ran out, even after throwing anything away that had been open more than 12 months I had LOADS! I now have a big box which has the extras in, then out the ones I am using at the time which reduces having loads of part used things laying around, when they empty I get another out of the box. Box has a list in so can check off what is left. No kidding most are lasting me still and I put myself on the 'ban' last September :o It is working, DPs shower gel stash (he likes Mint Source so I bought loads every time I seen it on offer) and mine is now in single figures :rotfl: yes it was that bad!

Sets I won't use and haven't opened I donated to the school for raffle/tombola prizes.

Hope we have a good summer, I have 14 bottles/tubes of unused sun cream :o
    Please don't forget if you keep suncream too long it will not have as high a factor as on the bottle.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yeah I realise that thanks, it was only bought last year, end of summer sales I am bad for :o I was suprised to find this did have a 'use by' date on the bottles which is December 2008. I did have to throw another bottle out which I feel was well past it's use by date as it had seperated. It's all factor 50 should hopefully be ok.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Littlebean_2
    Littlebean_2 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I have regular battles between the 'Flylady-me' who wants to fling everything out and the 'MSE-me' who wants to be as frugal as possible and use everything up/find alternative uses. I think the bottom line is that if having the stuff hanging about is making you feel guilty/getting you down then fling.....If you can be strict with yourself and use it up then do...
    I definately learnt my lesson about stockpiling toiletries though - how many bottles of shampoo does a girl need in a year for heavens sake!
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hmm, on both sides of the fence here. My frugal nature says use it up, yet the me who now has a red face from using a facepack only about a year old says bin the damned lot!!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Tartan_Mum
    Tartan_Mum Posts: 217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's in this position.

Littlebean has summed it up perfectly.

I've recruited my sister to come round next week to go through it all. She's been prepped to be ruthless so we'll see what we can use between us, what needs to be binned and what could be donated to others.

Sorry about your face Softstuff. Sounds painful. Ouch!

In the meantime, I'll need to force myself to spend an extra five minutes after EVERY shower using body lotion. I usually skip that bit when i'm in a hurry..... and with a 7 month old, I'm usually in a hurry!

Thanks again to all
    a soft-skinned TM x
    #26 MFW 2023 challenge Small OPs are better than no OPs! Feb 2018 £231,000 / Apr 2042 Current £133,700 / March 2036
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Tartan_Mum wrote: »
    Let's face it though - no one needs 12 different types of hand cream!

TM x

I had about the same amount :) I still have one in my bag, have one on my desk, one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom and one beside my bed. :eek: But I'm getting through them gradually.

I did find myself about to buy some more in Boots the other day - how insane am I??
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I,m trying to use mines up too, any leftover suncreams from hols I do use as a moisturiser when I,m home, keep the satches of conditioner from hair dyes to take on holiday as it,s light ,and use the bottle instead. I do get fed up of some ,and leave it halfway through ,to moulder at the back of the window ledge then have to throw out, but I,m working on that
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • vfairbrass
    vfairbrass Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    I had a massive declutter when I first discovered Flylady some 18 months ago. Since then I have found that there are things I chucked which I could really do with and in some cases have had to rebuy them. I wasn't Old Style when I decluttered and think I went too far. It's mainly the kitchen/baking/gardening things that I made a mistake with. I'm now restocking from jumble sales wherever possible.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tartan_Mum wrote: »

Sorry about your face Softstuff. Sounds painful. Ouch!
    Thanks, it's calmed down now thankfully. The boss at work would have given me such a ribbing if it hadn't.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family