PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Using things up vs declutter

Options
I'm trying to get to grips with Flying (thanks to the motivating words on that thread :D ) but there's one piece in particular that I struggle with.

In the past I've been a sucker for creams and lotions etc. My cupboard which is supposed to be for linen currently has two shelves full of body moisturisers, face moisturisers, fake tan lotions, hand creams etc etc You name it - it's there. Most of them are quarter used at most :o This doesn't even cover the sets that I've received as Christmas and Birthday presents. And the stuff in the bathroom and on my dressing table. In my heart of hearts I know that there's stuff in there that I won't use. The ironic thing is that I barely wear make up. I just love the lotions and potions.

The thing is, the MS side of me says that I should force myself to use everything up. However, the decluttering side of me says that I should get rid of the stuff that I know I won't use and start with a clean slate even though it's pouring cash down the drain.

What do/would you do?
#26 MFW 2023 challenge Small OPs are better than no OPs! Feb 2018 £231,000 / Apr 2042 Current £133,700 / March 2036

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    How about getting a big cardboard box with a lid and putting all but one of each kind of potion in the box and put it away somewhere unobtrusive (under your bed maybe or in the garage). This will mean that your bathroom is easier to clean which achieves Flylady's purpose. If you use up one of the bottles in the bathroom replace it with one from your box. If you haven't used up the bathroom stock by Christmas, you're not going to, so throw the whole lot out (bathroom and box) and tell people not to buy you more for Christmas
  • avstar
    avstar Posts: 1,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Tartan Mum

You could do a carboot sale / sell on ebay to get rid of your clutter, its pure profit on the brithday & Xmas pressies !

Or what about making up hampers of stuff to give as gifts to relatives and friends at Xmas or birthdays ?
    avstar
  • rosh12
    rosh12 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    We have a local homeless project that appreiciates unopened goodies like this... alteratively, is there a women's shelter or anything similar near you?

MUCH better to give it to people who'd really appreciate it rather than just sling it or let it "go off"!
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'd get rid of anything you know you won't use in the next three months. I find lotions I've let hang around for several months often seem to separate out and begin to smell not quite as they should.
    Not sure I'd purchase anything like this from carboot if it's already part-used, but that's probably just me!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I did this recently and my decision in the end up was that I needed to learn the lesson properly. So I put all this stuff on the bathroom windowledge (and yes it gathers dust etc) and forced myself to keep using till it was done. Though i did throw out anything that smelt off or that was a real mistake and I couldn't use. I haven't bought any moisturiser or soap since November and I still have stuff left. I think I needed this visual reminder so that next time I was in Boots I wouldn't just throw something mindless into the basket. It has worked a bit for me so long as I stay away from the boots thread (I am not to be trusted around special offers!) So it depends, do you need to do the penance thing to persuade yourself not to overbuy in the future? Is this stuff that you are 'saving' for good? Or is it stuff that makes you break out in a rash? Do you actually want to throw it out so you can buy more (been there, that's why I ask). Only you can answer this...
  • Tartan_Mum
    Tartan_Mum Posts: 217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses.

I hadn't even thought about a women's refuge - that would be great. I wouldn't feel bad about giving unused stuff away then.

It's the opened stuff that bugs me. I agree that I would never sell things like that as it's not hygenic but I think that you're right. They're probably not in optimum condition anyway. Might have to just take a deep breath and sling the used stuff. I won't even think about how much I've spent on it all or else I'll cry :p

I might do what Nicki suggests with the newer stuff that there's a chance I might use and try and throw the rest. Will have to do in the daytime whilst DH is at work. I don't think he realises how much is lurking in there!

Thanks again
    TM x
    #26 MFW 2023 challenge Small OPs are better than no OPs! Feb 2018 £231,000 / Apr 2042 Current £133,700 / March 2036
  • Tartan_Mum
    Tartan_Mum Posts: 217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you actually want to throw it out so you can buy more (been there, that's why I ask). Only you can answer this...

A part of me probably does think this a little :o you've hit the nail on the head....

But I must be strong and not do it.

Let's face it though - no one needs 12 different types of hand cream!

TM x
  • LilMissEmmylou
    LilMissEmmylou Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Options
    im in the same position at the moment, i didnt even realise how much i had tbh, but when i moved back to N.I from England I had 2 large boxes of the stuff. I now refuse to buy any bath and hair products till i use them all up.

I wouldnt throw the stuff out though - why not give your "spare" hand creams and stuff to people your close to that wouldnt mind the fact you had used a little. People like your mum or sisters (if you have any) or best friends? It would be such a shame to throw stuff out thats still fine to use, just because you have too much.
  • alimac23
    alimac23 Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    They go mad for lotions/potions at our local car boot sale.
    1.Virgin CC: [STRIKE]£9432.00[/STRIKE] £10290.00
    2.RBS CC: [STRIKE]£3254.62[/STRIKE] £3029.61
    3.M&S CC: [STRIKE]£1262.11[/STRIKE] £464.95
    4.Next: [STRIKE]£400.00[/STRIKE]. £280.00

TOTAL = [STRIKE]£14348.73[/STRIKE] £14064.56
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Tartan mum I have a method of using stuff up if I am not enamoured with product .....I use if for other things...face cream becomes body lotion etc

I now dont ever open stuff until the one being used is finished. One bubble bath, one shampoo etc its bliss! Even my perfume collection is down to two..... everyday and special.

It makes life so much easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport