PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Using things up vs declutter

Options
13»

Comments

• Garnet_Gem
    Garnet_Gem Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    This thread made me go and check my stuff. it's amazing how you "need" stuff when it's on offer. Won't buy anything except toothpaste till xmas now.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just done the same with socks, thought DP and the boys were short of socks, over 30 pairs each (when I eventually sorted them all out tonight) so just shows when you sort through it's amazing what you find!! Spurred on by this thread actually thinking the 'Do I really need to buy any more?' Probably saved me about £30 :D
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • simgranny
    simgranny Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm one of those that cannot bear to throw things out if there is a chance that I might use them - both for moneysaving and environmental reasons.
    I am a sucker for lotions and potions and all those little bottles and sachets of stuff that you get in hotel rooms.
    When it becomes too much clutter I make sure that I use the smallest sachets tubes and bottles first so that the sheer number of items is reduced quicker.
  • pocket_fluff
    pocket_fluff Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if anyone can beat this?!

In September 2001 Herbal Essences had a promotion (I think in Boots) of buy one get one free? (or something along those lines). Anyway, being a sucker I bought about 6 shampoos and conditioners. Then I got home.

Actually looking at all the toiletries I had (a lot of gifts and half-used impulse buys) made me realise that I had to start using them up first. So that is exactly what I did. Coupled with this the fact that a few years ago my job entailed me staying in hotels regularly (lots more free toiletries!) means that I STILL haven't bought any since that heady day when I over indulged in Herbal Essences.

Looking at my fast dwindling stock pile, I think I am due to run out sometime before christmas!

p.s. I must also add that I use a very tiny amount of product (using a puff really makes the shower gel last), including shampoo and conditioner. I find my hair actually benefits from this. I have thick, middle-of-my-back length hair, so if I can be frugal with the quantities, anyone can!
  • LilMissEmmylou
    LilMissEmmylou Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Options
    welcome nicci44 :) and lol that is a heck of a lot of bath products!!!
  • Tartan_Mum
    Tartan_Mum Posts: 217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello - not been online for a bit. Wanted to say thanks for the other responses. It's v good to know that I'm not the only stasher.

Of course that doesn't clear out my cupboard but I'm going to use a combo of ideas to clear out, use up, donate. Generally reclaim some space for linen!!

Thanks again to all
    TM x
    #26 MFW 2023 challenge Small OPs are better than no OPs! Feb 2018 £231,000 / Apr 2042 Current £133,700 / March 2036
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, interesting thread.
    I have a couple of 'use-up' lotions near the PC now to dab onto my hands. I also have a 'posh'(ish) little paper bag that has 'use-up' items in it. Feels like a treat then to dip into it and play with a few bits. I recently gave some unused bits (not suitable for pressies or other recyling) to local charity shops.
    You could plan a home spa day to use up items. Eg apply a face mask (not too old a one mind!), run a bath of bubbly, use any face/body scrubs, apply hair treatments, then afterwards apply face/body lotion - knees and elbows always needs lots of moisturing. You could also apply some body lotion to your feet and pop some cotton socks on to really moisturise them. Could use body lotion to do a back massage on OH. Some body lotions are also ok to add just to the tips of your hair if a bit dry. I'm using up a face scrub (which my skin didn't like) as a hand scrub, kept at the bathroom sink. Happy using up!
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • SallyCinnamon
    SallyCinnamon Posts: 306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is the first year that I've actually been able to resist buying travel sized shampoo, body lotion etc for holidays. I've always got loads of bottles ready to decant into, but I just love the travel stuff sooo much! I've been very strict this year though, just got to get through the next week without being tempted.....
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    This is the first year that I've actually been able to resist buying travel sized shampoo, body lotion etc for holidays. I've always got loads of bottles ready to decant into, but I just love the travel stuff sooo much! I've been very strict this year though, just got to get through the next week without being tempted.....

Decant into your smaller bottles NOW.

You have now already 'bought' your travel sizes for your hols for this year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport