storage heaters/electric central heating or gas?

Options

Comments

• john1
    john1 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • roddericoz
    roddericoz Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 March 2012 at 10:37AM
    Options
    I don't know why the people here just don't fit electric combi boilers. Although electricity is a little more expensive, you can have heat when it's required, plus electric is direct heat into the water, just like an electric kettle, so uses less energy, whereas gas isn't it has to use a heat exchanger to heat the water, with a lot of the heat produced going out of the flue, so less efficient. And don't forget that eventually electric will be as cheap as in the rest of europe via nuclear energy. we are running out of gas/oil. Also central heating will add value to your house. Another plus is that you can get solar panels, and get paid for the extra electricity you supply to the grid.
    So it makes a lot of sense.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    roddericoz wrote: »
    I don't know why the people here just don't fit electric combi boilers. Although electricity is a little more expensive, you can have heat when it's required, plus electric is direct heat into the water, just like an electric kettle, so uses less energy, whereas gas isn't it has to use a heat exchanger to heat the water, with a lot of the heat produced going out of the flue, so less efficient. And don't forget that eventually electric will be as cheap as in the rest of europe via nuclear energy. we are running out of gas/oil. Also central heating it will add value to your house.

No, it's about 3 times as expensive as gas per kWh.

That's what they said back in the 1950's when Calder Hall was commissioned. It was said that nuclear power would be so cheap that it wouldn't be worth metering. We're still waiting...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • michaela.m_2
    Options
    Hi
    I'm looking to install some form of electrical heating (unfortunately we have no gas in the village, no room for oil tank, cant install air source heat pump with underfloor heating as would require us to underpin the property!). Its been a nightmare to get impartial advice and want to know if dynamic storage heaters really are better than conventional night storage heaters. Anyone experienced dymanic storage heaters? Have night storage heaters really improved?
  • lyndielou1605
    Options
    Electrorad radiators are really expensive to run and you don't even get a manual with them. My electricity bill is how £806 for 6 months and I live on my own, am out most of the day at work and switch everythign off at night (the only thing that was on when it was really cold was those 'quality energy efficient radiators'......E-ON are coming out to test everything so i'll be providing the details to Electrorad , The ASA and Ofgem so they can see how inefficient Electrorad really are!! Oh yes and one of the radiators have overheated and died (it's a converted barn and I was the first person to move in and have been here 6 months.....surely the rads must be under warranty........the landlord will i'm sure be having a shock when I refuse to pay the rent because my electricyt bill has more than doubled because of those 'electric rads'....ggggrrrrr!!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All electric heating is 100% efficient, it doesn't matter if it costs you £100's from Electrorad or £10 from Argos.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • I have been looking at different methods of heating our bungalow for months as I mentioned in a previous thread, to replace our oil heating. I have come to the conclusion that for our household it will have to be electric and am assuming an electric wet system could be adapted to our current pipework. I am nervous about the usage costs, although oil is costing us around £600 for about 7wks use in winter. We are at home all day, does anyone know whether an electric boiler for 9 rads would use more electricity than night storage. heaters.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 3 September 2012 at 6:10PM
    Options
    I have been looking at different methods of heating our bungalow for months as I mentioned in a previous thread, to replace our oil heating. I have come to the conclusion that for our household it will have to be electric and am assuming an electric wet system could be adapted to our current pipework. I am nervous about the usage costs, although oil is costing us around £600 for about 7wks use in winter. We are at home all day, does anyone know whether an electric boiler for 9 rads would use more electricity than night storage. heaters.

If oil is costing you £600 for 7 weeks, then a wet electric system using a normal electricity tariff is likely to cost you a lot more! How much extra depends on the efficiency of your oil boiler. However as it is only 2 years old(from your other post) it should be around 85% and so around £900 -£1000 for electric would be a ball park figure.

Being home all day would make storage heating a better proposition for running costs. Either storage heaters, or install a very large thermal store(a large tank of water) heated on an Economy 7 tariff.

However looking at your other post, by far the best solution would be to get in a competent fitter and get your oil boiler sorted out.
  • Getting a 'competent' fitter is not so easy in my neck of the woods. I have had 4 different companies out to our boiler and it is still not right. Our family had a lucky escape earlier this year when the carbon monoxide detector went off. Otherwise I guess I would have just gone into a deep sleep. I urge everyone with a boiler to have a detector fitted, the effects on your body can happen really quickly. As we are on our 2nd boiler and still having similiar problems I wonder if there is a fault in the way the heating was originally put in, that could affect the boiler. Sadly I can't find a problem solving fitter. But I think that my own fears of the same thing happening again is propelling me on to find an alternative, even if it is a bit more expensive to run,(hopefully not too much more). Thank you for your advice on storage heating, I shall get a few quotes and see how it works out. If I do go that route I'll repost later and let you know how it compares.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I would contact your local council for advice(Health and Safety) or contact the Boiler manufacturer and ask them to send an engineer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure