getting started with running

Options

Comments

• xnikkix
    xnikkix Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Running with the dog can help too. Gets you and the dog fit and exercised in one go! I go to Cani-x (cani cross) and run about 5km with my dog attached to me via a belt, bungee lead and harness for the dog. This has helped me build up to running two half marathons.
    It's a bit expensive to set up with kit but the club near us hires out stuff to get people started.
    It's great socially for dogs and humans as well as tiring us out suitably!
  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    If you happen to have health insurance with Pru, all the running shoes in Sweatshop are half price when you show your membership card (not including ones in the sales) and they'll do your gait analysis too.

When I was buying mine in the Clapham branch the other day, I also got a code for custom race training plan worth £60. So all in all I got a £120 of stuff for £30 . :j
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • amistupid
    amistupid Posts: 55,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 June 2013 at 9:29AM
    Options
    I've never been a very fast runner but from the age of 30 to 47 years I used to run 5 X 7 min miles most days. I was addicted to the endorphins and tended to over exercise, this gradually took a toll on my joints and I packed in. I put on weight and really missed the exercise buzz, I tried cycling but didn't enjoy it as much a running.

About a year ago, aged 55 years, I started fitness walking and have built up to a pace of almost 5 miles an hour, it's hard work walking at this pace. I now walk 5 miles a day 5 times a week, it takes me an hour to brisk walk the 5 mile route I used to run in nearly half the time.

I am amazed that fitness walking gives me the same wonderful buzz that I once got from running, without the pain to my legs and joints. I'm also astonished at how the weight has dropped off me, I'm now back down to the same weight I was when I was running.

I'm so impressed with the benefits of brisk walking as opposed to running/jogging that I've researched it on the internet. This was typical of what I found.
    There’s a different dividing line at walking at 5 mph. Once you exceed that speed, your calorie burn becomes greater than it would be if you were running. That’s because at about this pace, running starts becoming less physiologically demanding than walking. “The mechanics of the two tasks are completely different,” explains Peter Adamczyk, PhD, a biomechanics researcher in Ann Arbor, Michigan. “When you walk, muscles have to generate energy for every step. In running, you’re temporarily airborne, and you fall onto your leg, which acts like a spring.” It’s similar to the difference between throwing a ball up in the air over and over again (walking) and bouncing a ball (running). You use more muscles and energy to throw a ball than you do to bounce it. And even at speeds above 4 or 5 mph, walking is much easier on the joints than running is.
    http://www.more.com/walk-off-weight

So if any of you struggle running or jogging try fitness walking as a good alernative, having done both I'd strongly recommend it.

PS: I walk much faster than my avatar and I'm not nearly as fat, honest. :D
    In memory of Chris Hyde #867
  • purple_runner
    Options
    Running is great, and free! That's why I started, couldn't pay £5 a class for zumba anymore and so apart from the trainers (had an ok sports bra and sports clothes) I was off.

Also started with couch 2 5k and it was a great way to get going. I'd tried running a few years before and could only manage a minute then felt awful so gave up. The structure of c25k is great for making sure you don't do too much too soon.

So now I've been running for a couple of years. Not done much distance (5km is about my limit) and want to find some new routes for longer runs. I live in a town centre so it's mostly roads but I've started along the canal path (it's not very long) just to get some fresher air.

Has anyone got any advice for route finding?

Back to the trainers though, I got a £40 pair from Decathlon. No gait analysis or anything but they had a little guide on their website I think so did a bit of research before hand then tried loads on. The only injury I've had was a pulled tendon in my foot so they've done me good. Sounds like I need to strengthen my glutes though, thanks nicolula87!
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has anyone got any advice for route finding?

Register on Strava - people in your community will have added segments over which you can compete and measure your performance. Makes route planning easy - just string a few segments together.

Use http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm to work out where footpaths are.

Use mapmyrun.com to get accurate distances and elevation profiles for any planned routes.
  • 1940sGal
    1940sGal Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    Options
    With regard to 'proper' running shoes. I won a pair of Merrill Barefoot trainers last year and that's what I've been using for all my exercising. I use them for running and they feel perfectly comfortable, and thus far (knock on wood) I've stayed completely injury free. I keep wondering if I should get a pair with a bit more cushioning but tbh if I'm fine the way I am so far, why bother?
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    1940sGal wrote: »
    With regard to 'proper' running shoes. I won a pair of Merrill Barefoot trainers last year and that's what I've been using for all my exercising. I use them for running and they feel perfectly comfortable, and thus far (knock on wood) I've stayed completely injury free. I keep wondering if I should get a pair with a bit more cushioning but tbh if I'm fine the way I am so far, why bother?

I'm using minimalist shoes as well at the minute and think I'm far better off for them. I'd say as long as you're comfortable, stick with them. Btw mine were recommended to me by a friend who is an ultra marathon runner and she says she was always picking up injuries til she went minimalist :)

A lot more MSE as well! I buy a pair every 2 years or so and haven't had to throw any out yet.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Also just to add my top running tip for couch to 5k ers. If you find yourself too breathless, slow down. Then slow down some more. Especially at the start your focus needs to be on keeping going rather than on your speed. This is based on my experience of starting to run at the age of 35 and at least 3 stone overweight :)
  • andreww22
    andreww22 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this post and sharing this valuable information.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Take care with running. I took it up at age 50,got drawn into marathons and now at age 77 full of aches and pains. What I should have done was try shorter distances first, then maybe flexibles after that.
    No way are long distances natural.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport