Maternity Pay - confused?

Comments

• paulfoel wrote: »
    Because unfortunately her manager does not know the rules. And generally is happy to stitch staff up if it means less leave/cost for the department.

I meant HR.
  • Hi, in the NHS the maternity pay can't exceed full pay so her omp will be reduced once smp is payable to ensure this doesn't happen.

Also her pay will be calculated using the 2 pay dates prior to her 25th week of pregnancy - so count back 15 weeks from her due date and the 2 previous pay days will be used.
  • Olza23
    Olza23 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Hi my partner was in a similar situation, she also got 8 weeks full pay, then 20 weeks 50% salary OR SMP whichever is greater. So her half pay was more meaning she stayed on that "rate"...

Hope this helped
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, in the NHS the maternity pay can't exceed full pay so her omp will be reduced once smp is payable to ensure this doesn't happen.

Also her pay will be calculated using the 2 pay dates prior to her 25th week of pregnancy - so count back 15 weeks from her due date and the 2 previous pay days will be used.

Seems to make sense. Can't complain because it still means 26 weeks at full pay then.

Yes, was aware of the dates too.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • paulfoel
    Olza23 wrote: »
    Hi my partner was in a similar situation, she also got 8 weeks full pay, then 20 weeks 50% salary OR SMP whichever is greater. So her half pay was more meaning she stayed on that "rate"...

Hope this helped

In this case, its 8 weeks full then 18 weeks 1/2 PLUS SMP.

1/2 PLUS SMP is > FULL pay so as other person says, it'll be capped at FULL pay.
  • Oog
    Oog Posts: 116 Forumite
    Be careful about holiday years. Not all Trusts allow you to roll Annual Leave over into another holiday year. Once on maternity leave it cannot be taken away and is accrued but before that they might encourage or require someone to use their remaining annual leave before the maternity leave starts. Check the policy (might be the Leave policy not Maternity). I agree with the previous poster about using this to help with a phased (full pay) return!

Don't forget child benefit which is tax free unlike the SMP component of occupational maternity pay (and of course the half pay portion).

Some payroll departments allow you to share out the salary over the whole year. Careful with pension contributions in the unpaid part of leave; these will be collected as soon as she returns to paid work.
    Any KIT days are paid at full rate during maternity leave which can be helpful...
    Mortgage free plans on hold!
    Renovation Dedication! That's what you need!
  • paulfoel
    Yep. Have discovered that the trust my wife works for is the worlds worst. If they can screw some leave back off you they will.
  • paulfoel
    Well, we're into maternity period and got full pay for the 8 weeks but now shes just getting 1/2 pay.

Sure it should have been 1/2 pay plus SMP?
  • i recently went on adoption leave which is the same as maternity leave i got 13 weeks full pay 13 week half pay then 13 weeks stat pay the half pay period wasnt 13 weeks half pay + stat pay it came after then 13 weeks of no pay

Make £200 by end of January... £20.42/£200
    Grocery Challenge £200 pm Jan £0/£200
    January no spend days - 1/31
  • paulfoel
    i recently went on adoption leave which is the same as maternity leave i got 13 weeks full pay 13 week half pay then 13 weeks stat pay the half pay period wasnt 13 weeks half pay + stat pay it came after then 13 weeks of no pay

and you work for NHS?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family