IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Parking charge

Hi I have not been on this thread for a while and was wondering if advice given is the same as it used to be?
My husband got a ticket from UKPC the other day while in my car - for leaving the site!
I know advice used to be ignore all correspondence, but have seen something called POPLA? mentioned a few times and wonder if this changes things?
I guess as registered keeper, their letters will come to me. Any advice will be gratefully received. TIA :)

Replies

• StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    Popla is the supposed independent appeals service, you can go there if ukpc first turn down your appeal, if you have time for that we can help you frame an appeal, it's not binding on you but is on the parking company.

Or you can ignore them still and it's highly unlikely to go beyond junk mail
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • So do I need to appeal - basically the ticket said driver left site (which he did) to get some money to spend at the retail park where he was parked! Thanks again for your help.
  • StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    There is no obligation to appeal if that is what you're asking. It's up to you if you wish to appeal though, there are good reasons too, but equally good reasons not to bother.
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    111.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    So do I need to appeal - basically the ticket said driver left site (which he did) to get some money to spend at the retail park where he was parked! Thanks again for your help.

Ignore it all (certainly in Scotland or if a 'ticket' is from a non AOS member, but UKPC are), or appeal it then appeal to POPLA if in England/Wales. Discussed in depth here because if you appeal to POPLA it needs to be strong:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=77301

There is no right or wrong choice except if a victim is stupid enough to pay!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Ignore it all (certainly in Scotland or if a 'ticket' is from a non AOS member, but UKPC are), or appeal it then appeal to POPLA if in England/Wales. Discussed in depth here because if you appeal to POPLA it needs to be strong:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=77301

There is no right or wrong choice except if a victim is stupid enough to pay!

Thanks we are in England - thanks for link to other forum - will give it a good read. Thanks for the reassurance too :)
  • Half_wayHalf_way Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    the car park owner can only relay sue for any losses caused by your husbands actions, in this case a parking charge notice for leaving site to get some money to spend on site would get laughed out of court if it ever went that far.

the car park company also ahs a duty to mitigate their losses, byt watching someone leave site, and not taking any action ( ie verbal warning) they have not done this.

you have nothing to fear.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Half_way wrote: »
    the car park owner can only relay sue for any losses caused by your husbands actions, in this case a parking charge notice for leaving site to get some money to spend on site would get laughed out of court if it ever went that far.

the car park company also ahs a duty to mitigate their losses, byt watching someone leave site, and not taking any action ( ie verbal warning) they have not done this.

you have nothing to fear.

Thanks - I have just looked at link coupon mad posted and its scared me a bit! lol I can't take in the appeals process - will probably start a thread over there to see what advice is given!
  • StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    You still have the option to ignore ukpc though, they are easily ignored and are very tame as scammers go
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    111.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks - I have just looked at link coupon mad posted and its scared me a bit! lol I can't take in the appeals process - will probably start a thread over there to see what advice is given!

This is the advice you'll be given:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=77754

...that thread is nice and easy to take in and I am also a poster called SchoolRunMum over on pepipoo, you probably prefer the links I gave to that poster as they are simpler and much more amusing!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks coupon mad - it was late last night and I was tired! Reading some of the posts I was thinking I need a law degree!! Thanks for your help once again :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals