PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

April 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• rogue999
    rogue999 Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all, can I join the GC please? We are 2 adults, 2 kids (9 and 7 - with big appetites!) and 2 cats. I shop mainly in Aldi and Morrisons but trips to Costco see me going overboard on my budget as i'm always tempted. I generally do a week by week meal plan and I mainly cook from scratch and freeze portions. We all take pack-up to work/school. We don't often have takeaways but every couple of weeks we have a chippy tea which is about £15 for the 4 of us.

At a guess we spend about £250-£280 pm but i'd love to lower this as we really need to do some home improvements this year. Cat food I buy in large 6kg bags online which last around 6-7 weeks at around £35 per bag (Hills Vet Essentials as they have dental/UT issues!) so I'll not include this in the budget.

Can you put me in for £220 please?

Thanks - look forward to getting new ideas.
    xx
    Happy Easter - off to eat my choccy egg!
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Had a pretty good day today. Batch cooked Thai red curry and had one lot for tea and had enough for another two meals for the four of us to freeze. Also made some chicken soup with a carcass I shoved in the freezer. We'll have this tomorrow with HM rolls followed by roast beef as we have family coming for dinner. Still need to bake but that will have to be tomorrow's job. Still need a pudding for tomorrow. Think I'll do syrup sponge and custard seeing as it is still so cold and icy here.

Apart from getting a bag of Super6 onions I am hoping for lots of NSDs between now and next weekend.

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Set up for this months challange, cant wait to start but wont be doing any shopping tomorrow, as I have enough in to last a couple of days. I have put all frozen HM ready meals onto my chalk board so I know what I have in and I will make a concerted effort to wade my way through as many of those that I can, I must stop eating rubbish as well cos want to lose some weight, so hoping to save a bit from that as well!!
    nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - nothing as yet 
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    thriftmonster - your GF focaccia recipe has been added to the index :)
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April 2013 at 10:19AM
    Options
    Mr A delivery today totalling £55.75 (including delivery at £5) - got:

Fruit and veg - bagged salad x2 £2; Loose bananas 1.4kg 95p; Unwaxed lemons x5 £1.35; Smartprice apples 850g £1.01; white potatoes 2.5kg £1.80; Loose courgettes 170g 23p; Green beans 240g £1; Fresh sage 65p; Butternut squash 1.1kg £1.14

Meat & fish - Extra special corn fed free range chicken 1.5kg £7.64; Asda ham 125g £1

Dairy - Smartprice butter 98p; Whole milk 4 pints £1

Bread - large white baps 6pk x2 £1

General groceries - W*lkers crisps x6 £1; walnut halves 150g £1.76; D*ritoes salsa 300g £1.00; Olives 310g 88p;dried cranberries 170g £1; rich roast coffee 200g £1.98; tuna in brine 97p; mackerel in oil 85p; Smartprice chopped tomatoes x3 93p; Pinto beans 39p; extra virgin olive oil 750ml £2.50; cooked chestnuts 200g £1.47; crushed chillies 28g 71p; smoked paprika 82p; Smartprice ketchup 28p; balsamic vinegar 250ml £1; Smartprice orange juice 3x200ml 45p; Asda cola 4 pk x2 - £4.30

Cat, household and toiletries - Cat food 950g £1.28; Smartprice food bags 100 78p; deodorant 250ml £1.50; Smartprice cat litter 10kg x2 £3.20

Made a roast chicken dinner and my sister, her fiance and OH's brother came for dinner and a game of monopoly - lots of fun. Sister brought a gorgeous chocolate cake and we have some left, plus the leftover chicken from the carcass and I've stashed the bones in the freezer for making stock. Got enough veg left to make bubble and squeak for lunch tomorrow, too :)
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all,

Can,t beleive its April already.

Naffed up March,s budget:mad:, but will try again for April - can you put me down for

£350 a little bit more due to school hols and DS2,s birthday.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Bluegreen for adding the focaccia recipe to the index - I really need to get my head round some of these techy bits!! Eating a piece of it toasted with marmelade atm.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    Posting my first spend of the month this morning aldi was open at eight and iceland was nine so my pedometer got a work out. Aldi was cat food and s6 and iceland was milk and reduced .
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Can i please try AGAIN this month?

I don't know what I am doing wrong :( I am not managing to stay within budget at all, every month!
    So I have changed to weekly, in the hopes that it might help me budget better..but i have tried weekly before. Lets see if it works this time.

Any advice appreciated.

Please put me down for £60 a week in April.
    Thanks.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Can i please try AGAIN this month?

I don't know what I am doing wrong :( I am not managing to stay within budget at all, every month!
    So I have changed to weekly, in the hopes that it might help me budget better..but i have tried weekly before. Lets see if it works this time.

Any advice appreciated.

Please put me down for £60 a week in April.
    Thanks.

Are you using cash,I find putting thr bedget in a separate purse helps me focas , when yu see the cash going down really makes you think do I really need it. Good luck
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family