PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - Springing Ahead

Options

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This_Year wrote: »
    I've not been able to do much this week as I've been either under the weather or feeling very down as I didn't get that job I went for. Finish on Thursday, and with nothing concrete on the horizon I feel empty (if that makes sense?) had the leaving meal on Friday and tbh I almost wished I didn't go as it's all sitting on me now and making me feel very scared.

We're not anywhere near desperate money-wise but I'm so used to working, I was made redundant 6 years ago and went from that to my current job, with only a week off, now I'm wondering whats going to happen!

And it's snowing and it's really getting me down. :(

I can't help but feel that you not getting that job to start straight away is because you need time for your dehoarding project.

Feeling empty is a normal feeling for me when I have had a big disappointment but Life Rewards Action and that emptiness will soon go and you will wonder how you used to fit in a job.

I am sorry that you didn't get the job and hope you feel better about it soon.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    3 binbags of rubbish out.. I swear this house is a pit!!!

Currently mid bedroom-shuffle.. very slowly getting things back to a habitable state.. thank goodness the girls are away until Saturday.. 4 beds are currently down to none!!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    I can't help but feel that you not getting that job to start straight away is because you need time for your dehoarding project.

Feeling empty is a normal feeling for me when I have had a big disappointment but Life Rewards Action and that emptiness will soon go and you will wonder how you used to fit in a job.

I am sorry that you didn't get the job and hope you feel better about it soon.

Thank you - really appreciate that :)

Am feeling more positive this evening. Maybe because I can smell dinner cooking!
  • minimoneyme
    minimoneyme Posts: 1,638 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Sorted out the bread bin yesterday, it's too warm for bread so we keep all the kitchen kipple in there. I filled a carrier bag with out of date vitamins, old recipes, candles, and stuff.

Somebody rescued them :mad: Was it one of you?
    I HATE candles! They are clutter, they get dusty, I find the smell very artificial, with kids around they are a fire hazard. We have plenty of bog standard emergency ones, but these were very cheap tea lights in nasty looking glasses. So in protest I have now lit them ALL (about 7 :o) and I won't put them out until they are all burnt down to stubs, then no one can object to me binning them. :p

This Year, sorry about the job, sorry if this sound trite, but the only way I can reconcile things like that is to think that it wasn't really for me and something better is just around the corner.
    Hubby is cooking a roast here so I can smell lovely cooking smells too - anyone remember the bisto kid? That's me at the moment!
  • idristhedragon
    idristhedragon Posts: 399 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2013 at 10:16PM
    Options
    My bedroom is still beautifully clear and un hoardy after the declutter lady (ok, ok Jenny) came! I am still obsessively looking after it like a kid with a new toy. Dh has started cluttering the sideboardy thing again and I am watching with interest to see which of us falls foul of the clutter nutter syndrome first........
    The front room is starting to regain a bit of kipple round the edges- there are kids bits and bobs moving in again- a few footie stickers under the sofa, a PSP down by the sofa arm, some pens, some socks BUT the major change in my mind set is that I can SEE it creeping in now and tomorrow will stop it in its tracks, I am ashamed to say that the 4th boxes that jenny helped me sort (the put those things back where they came from boxes- please tell me someone else read that in the tone of the song from Monsters Inc??) are still full and untouched. I really need to sort that as I feel like its almost making a mockery of all the wonderful work we did.
    I was also very nervous about the space in my room. Im used to teetering piles of stuff, stepping on stuff, wading through piles of black clothes to find a certain top/hole free leggings. However I am now LOVING the fact that I can get out of bed and walk across lovely clean carpet. I even took off a pair of holey leggings yesterday and put them straight in the bin!

I have restarted my debt free diary if anyones interested- the money thing is intrinsically linked with the hoarding, the aspirational purchases, the filling a hole with stuff, etc etc. Rome wasnt built in a day and I know I wont be able to de hoard, stay de hoarded and become a financially sensible person overnight BUT the dehoarding is giving me headspace to tackle the rest defnitely. Interestingly having a clear bedroom has had a massive effect (positive) on bedroom activities!! Is this linked I wonder?
    Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

£117/ £3951.67
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Been in the office of doom today and cleared an amount of stuff.

Struggled with some paniers mum bought me for my bike but which I never use - I would like some jazzier ones and these ones don't fit properly. I had to keep saying "it was your mistake not mums, she only bought what you asked for" and "these are not mum, just something she bought". I am pleased to say they have gone.

A whole bunch of old Thompsons, yellow pages and bt phone books have gone. A picture frame full of old photos has gone - photos will go in an album [STRIKE]one day[/STRIKE] soon. I am hoping OH will get rid of some articles he printed off when doing his masters - they are out of date but he might take some convincing. A whole pile of plastic A4 wallets have gone (as a lecturer, I have more of these than I dare admit to and unending future supplies).

When OH turned 50 someone made him a beautiful cake that had a top "plate" of an iced image of his favourite railway steam engine. It is a thing of beauty but we don't know what to do with it. It is in a perspex box so is preserved - but what do you DO with it?
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be happy with photos of the cake. Is there a local railway or group that has its own events day that could perhaps use it? If not, I would just chuck it - it has served its purpose and it will just gather dust otherwise.

Or perhaps the person who made/ordered it would like it back?
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    *shuffles in*

Room for one more?

My first hoarding post - please be gentle!

I can de-clutter when the mood takes me, but more often than not it doesn't! There is schmutter all around the house and it will be baby steps for me, but today I've had a small sort out of my craft room. I've bagged up a load of fabric scraps which will soon be off to a new home via freecycle and I've listed 11 lengths of fabric and a cross-stitch kit I know I'll never use on eBay. It's the tip of the iceberg, but it already feels clearer up there!
  • Brighton_belle
    Options
    welcome LizD - you'll get plenty of gentleness here (and the odd firm talking to if necessary:)). That's an excellent start - you just need to build your declutter muscle by doing a few little things like this every day and slowly you'll see the difference. Keep posting here for maximum support.

Idris - well done re the bedroom remaining clear and recognising the start of kibble returning - that's the secret - we're likely to always face kibble creep, it is sorting it quickly that will make thew difference. Don't beat yourself up about the box of returning items, just get in the habit of doing a couple a day.

A very busy day for me yesterday away from home having loads of fun desiging/crafting. Today has been a complete rest day apart from cleaning the bathroom and kitchen floor with my steam mop:D, and changing bedding and towels. My linen cupboard is a nice old preward suitcase that belonged to my grandfather. Takes the 1 spare set of bedding. The 1 spare set of towels all fold neatly and sit on a shelf in the bathroom.

Tomorrow I must clear the remaining kibble on the sofa that has been there for 10 days since I emptied the random craft stuff box form the attic.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Still no beds up, I was quite pleased when DD2 asked if she could stay at her friends tonight!!! I have 5 binbags for her to sort, 4 for DD4 and 6 for DD5 and 4 for DD3.. They are mainly clothes and bears.

DD2's bed looks like it is heading tipways.. she has smashed the guest bed under it so it is unusable.. OH is saying 'it might be ok and I'm saying bin it!!! We have an unused beautiful black metal bedframe and this is a cheapy divan.. no competition really.. He is worse than I am.

Once the girls room is sorted I have 2 beautiful satin throws they can use which I have had stored since 2003.. I know!!! I know!!! They are too lovely to bed trashed by ungrateful girls but they are bigger now and I am feeling evil so they will be keeping the room tidy.. I shall reimplement the 15 minutes tidy before you get in bed, that kept it under control for years. The problem is once I became unable to walk well when having the babies I let it slide and I am sure I'll end up there again this time.

Tomorrows jobs.. Finish rebuilding the bunks, DD2 to sort at least 2 of her binbags and I shall finish stripping the tiny bedroom ready for papering on Tuesday. DD1 is coming to watch the small naughties. The boys can load the DW and I need to mop the bathroom and work my way through 90 loads of washing.. the boys can find that lot and bring it downstairs too.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts