legal and general ppi

Options
hey, sorry to be so stupid but on my partners account there is a direct debit being paid to legal & general and is shown as MI C/L, he believes this may be a payment protection that was added in along with his mortgage which is with Nationwide..can somewhere in back of his mind recall girl in bank almost making him feel like he had to take this or else he wouldnt get mortgage.however, he is not receiving or cannot place any paperwork from legal and general about this? would this be a mis sold ppi? thanks in advance for any help/replies

Comments

• KeepFighting_2
    Options
    besshut wrote: »
    hey, sorry to be so stupid but on my partners account there is a direct debit being paid to legal & general and is shown as MI C/L, he believes this may be a payment protection that was added in along with his mortgage which is with Nationwide..can somewhere in back of his mind recall girl in bank almost making him feel like he had to take this or else he wouldnt get mortgage.however, he is not receiving or cannot place any paperwork from legal and general about this? would this be a mis sold ppi? thanks in advance for any help/replies
    Sounds more like Mortgage Protection Insurance I think you will find ti hard to prove this was missold as it is something people should have and is propbably life insurance not PPI.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    would this be a mis sold ppi?
    More likely Life and/or critical illness insurance.

Even if it is payment protection insurance what makes you think it was mis-sold? Mortgage PPI doesn't suffer the same faults as loan or credit card PPI and complaints about it are rejected in the vast majority of cases.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    would this be a mis sold ppi?

That would be a daft conclusion to make at this stage.

1 - the product isn't known (if could be life assurance, PHI, CI Cover or even a pension)
    2 - You havent mentioned if there is financial need for the policy or not. e.g. if it does cover a mortgage on death then as a married couple that would indicate a financial need.
    3 - you havent indicated any reasons for mis-sale.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,537 Forumite
    Options
    Why doesn't he just phone up legal and general and ask what it is....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • besshut
    Options
    thanks all for replies, would be mis sold on the grounds that he felt pressured into taking policy out along with mortgage perhaps?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2013 at 3:06PM
    Options
    would be mis sold on the grounds that he felt pressured into taking policy out along with mortgage perhaps?

Pressure is allowed. Mortgage advisers are required to point out shortfalls in cover and risks and consequences of no cover. To some people, that can be quite distressing. There is a line to cross. Problem is that your husband doesnt actually know what the policy is. So, his claim he was pressured into it seems unlikely. Also, it is highly unlikely you have any evidence to support the allegation. If it is a mortgage related product, then these are not treated in the same way as loan and credit card PPI. Indeed, you havent even confirmed it is PPI. It could easily be life assurance and most people take that out with a mortgage.

Also, adviser related sales only account for 0.2% of PPI complaints at the FOS. It is not seen as an adviser failing. Its a sales rep failure mainly.

None of this means it was not mis-sold. However, until we know what the product is, you cannot reasonably expect to make a complaint. If it isnt PPI, then you would just look silly making a PPI related complaint and could prevent a valid complaint (say a failure in another area) being rejected.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks all for replies, would be mis sold on the grounds that he felt pressured into taking policy out along with mortgage perhaps?

Only if the pressure was unfair.

It is no less acceptable to make somebody aware of the possible consequences of losing your income with outtaking cover (i.e. eviction) than it is to make somebody aware of the possible consequences of crossing a railway without first finding a place designated safe to do so (being electrocuted or splattered along the line!).

Making somebody aware of a possible outcome that is very unpleasant might make them uncomfortable but that does not make it unfair.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,537 Forumite
    Options
    He felt pressured into buying something and he hasn't got a clue what it is?

If I felt pressured into buying something, I'd damn well remember exactly what it was.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Pompey55
    Options
    We have had a mortgage (L and G) via an independant financial advisior. Someone ticked the box for ppi... not use.

L and G say the fraud was not theirs. The FSA cannot find the advisor and we had been told (many years ago) that no claim is possible.

The tick box is clearly marked with a different pen. We are teachers and had no need for the cover. The mortgage is now finished but the treatment from L and G would have to improved before we could describe it as poor! They said the mortgage and the ppi were linked and you could not stop one without the other.

Can we do anything? Any advice gladly welcomed.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    You can refer your case to the Ombudsman, but it will take up to eighteen months to reach a by no means certain conclusion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure