Sell your gold - guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Gamegal
    Options
    emma71 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have some odd bits of broken sterling silver jewellery to sell as scrap but I'm not sure the best way to do it - there are loads of places advertising that they buy gold but do they do silver too? Any recommendations very gratefully received :)

Their websites will tell you this, Emma.
  • emma71_2
    Options
    I applied to get a postal bag from tesco for a broken gold chain and in the confirmation email they said they do silver too. Can't be bothered to go in and out of loads of websites for the sake of what will only probably be about a quid's worth of silver so it can all go off in the same envelope :)
  • Watch out for London Gold Refinery.

They quoted me £733 on their website, so I sent them my gold. They then came back with an offer of £566! If I reject the offer, they charge a minimum of £23 for it to be returned insured.
  • Gamegal
    Gamegal Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Watch out for London Gold Refinery.

They quoted me £733 on their website, so I sent them my gold. They then came back with an offer of £566! If I reject the offer, they charge a minimum of £23 for it to be returned insured.

Should've read reviews .. http://www.reviewcentre.com/Money-Making-Websites/London-Gold-Refinery-www-londongoldrefinery-co-uk-reviews_2253633
  • Maz134
    Options
    I have been offered £490 for 75gm of gold is this a fair price ?
    I was originally offered £242 but asked for the gold to be returned. The company then said they had made a mistake and made this offer. Should I push for more? Can I haggle with these post for gold sites?
  • Buster_Danog
    Options
    Gold crowns will be a minimum of 14ct (approximately £15 per gram 5/07/2013), sometimes as high as 22ct (approximately £23.30 per gram). my Best advice is to clean it out as much as possible so only gold is left and no one has to estimate the weight

Anyone know how to clean the dental cement off the inside of a crown? The only way I can think of is to scrape it with something, but I don't want to damage the crown.

As for the carat. Aren't some gold crowns a mixture of gold and other materials?
  • Softasputty
    Softasputty Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    I sent a small quantity of jewellery off to thus online gold buyer. They took ages to give me a price. They are quoting £145 for just over 18 grams. Is that reasonable or should I ask them to return my gold?
  • jo901288
    jo901288 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can anyone tell me where the best place is to sell a 9ct gold amethyst bracelet (in the North West)? Obviously I won't get much selling it for scrap gold (as the main weight of the bracelet comes from the gemstones). I have been offered just over £190 (based on the weight of the bracelet) from these companies where you send off your jewellery to them (mygoldbuyer.co.uk) but I've never used these types of companies before so not sure whether they're reliable - can anyone help please?
  • louisdrive
    Options
    Hello,
    1st time i have posted on here however I feel i need to mention the FANTASTIC service that HGM provided me with. I done an online calculation on Saturday 7/6/2014 in the morning. I then checked your forum and was a little worried as most of the comments in relation to HGM where very dated (hence I am doing this) i decided to give it a go as they were offering £70.00 more than my local shop.
    I posted it before 12 noon on Saturday and got an email from them at 10am on Monday 9/6/2014 to confirm arriva lof gold and that they were willing to give me £13.00 over the estimation which was £589.00. The money was in my bank by 4pm that day !
    What a fantastic service.... Great company.
    Highly recommended !!!!:p:p:p:T:T
  • Dave_the_Ginger_Cat
    Options
    According to eBay, which is a great price setter in such matters, the going rate for 9ct scrap seems to be just under a tenner a gram.
    So many glitches, so little time...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure