edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Boost Your Income
102 replies 86.4K views

Replies

• vigmanvigman Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Gamegal wrote: »
    I've a beautiful 14ct gold necklace weighing 37.1gr verified by a few jewellers. According to http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/ I should expect £704.21 from them.

However, I've been told this company gives a better price. Anyone dealt with it please? It's not on Martin's list.

http://www.manchestergoldcompany.co.uk/

If the necklace is in 14 ct gold then I suspect it is probably Victorian. If it is in good condition and the clasp works, do NOT scrap it. It has a 'premium value' of up to 25% of the scrap price (eg scrap = 700 and 'premium value' for being a nice piece of jewellery = 175 = £875 approximate private sale value.

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • GamegalGamegal Forumite
    103 posts
    It is a beautiful modern necklace & Turkish gold, stamped '585' & verified here in the UK for insurance purposes.
  • vigmanvigman Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Gamegal wrote: »
    It is a beautiful modern necklace & Turkish gold, stamped '585' & verified here in the UK for insurance purposes.

I have bought several of these and they have all tested at the correct carat.

Unfortunately they do only sell at scrap value and some buyers (eg smaller jewellers without sophisticated testing kit) are suspicious of modern stamps on continental gold as there are so many fakes.

For those of you with items that either say 14ct or 14K (usually American) or look old and test as 14 ct then my initial comments about age etc stand.

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • MurtleMurtle Forumite
    4.2K posts
    jeweller wrote: »
    Murtle, I'm totally stumped as to why you want to destroy something possibly valuable, just to get the bottom line scrap value out of it.

Don't fall for the "it's unpopular" line, that's an age old buyer's trick. One man's meat is another man's poison, some people love Victorian, and hate Deco, others love Modernist and hate Georgian, it's horses for courses, someone, somewhere, I'm sure, would want to buy your your pieces for what they are. But do yourself a favour, research what you have before you part with it.

Thank you. Yes you are right, I think it was after taking it into a jewellers who didn't like the ring and told me so.

I will find some local jewellers (have moved location) and see what they say.

x
  • Hi all,

I have recently received a 'gemcheck' card as an insurance payment for jewellery stolen last year of a value of £2405.

My girlfriend cannot justify spending that much on jewellery especially as a lot of it was of sentimental value. I am just wondering what is the best way of recuperating the most i can in cash. Is buying then selling of gold my best option? many thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Lois Jewellery Ltd
    I had some scrap gold and silver to sell. This site was recommended by Martin Lewis money saving expert. I have been very impressed with the service. I posted my item at 12.pm and at 12pm the next day I had a phone call offering me exactly what I was expecting, by 1pm the money was in my bank account.
  • Is it possible to register my company for any new guides? I wont directly link here but i would be very interested in having my company reviewed against the companies in this guide. forum admins can you advise how i can give my details without advertising on here?
  • I have been bequeathed two rings which I have had them valued for insurance purposes and subsequently after the shock had them locked away for safe keeping.

They are valued at far more than I was expecting, they have no real sentimental value to me and selling them would go some way to improving my financial situation.

If I sold them would I be able to get what they have been valued for, and which companies are likely to be interested in buying high value jewellery
  • 22ct22ct Forumite
    1 posts
    I used Gerrards precious metals in Hatton Garden. They are housed in an office . It was good to be abe to go in person. They were very friendly , paid different rates for the different cts even though they were not marked/ assayed.
    So fully recommned them.
  • I have been bequeathed two rings which I have had them valued for insurance purposes and subsequently after the shock had them locked away for safe keeping.

They are valued at far more than I was expecting, they have no real sentimental value to me and selling them would go some way to improving my financial situation.

If I sold them would I be able to get what they have been valued for, and which companies are likely to be interested in buying high value jewellery

It really depends on the valuation, if it was an insurance valuation then itis based on the cost of replacement which is most likely higher than you will beable to sell them for. Scrap value's are easy to calculate as they are based onweight and gold purity (carat).

If you know the weights of the rings and the carats then today's prices youshould be getting around £11.10/g on 9ct, £17.30on 14ct, £22.20 on 18ct and£27.10/g on 22ct

(all prices based on link to Presman in the Opening of this thread)

Obviously this is a price for scrap, not a valuation of crafted fine jewellery