Forum Home » Boost Your Income

Sell your gold - guide discussion - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Sell your gold - guide discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Boost Your Income
102 replies 86.2K views

Replies

• edited 29 April 2013 at 6:24PM
    redstar2072redstar2072 Forumite
    13 posts
    edited 29 April 2013 at 6:24PM
    From what I know Gerrards are really geared for the trade business, not dealing with members of the public, if you have any gold then do what I did and take to a local jeweller, At least your know that your are getting

And stay away from Hatton Garden Metals, if you don't believe me take a look at the amount of first time posts on their thread. If that is not a wake up call I don't know what is ....

Also what the hell happened to all the posts about the British Gold Refinery. Has Saint Martin Lewis been silenced by there wicked lawyers????????
  • GamegalGamegal Forumite
    103 posts
    stay away from Hatton Garden Metals, if you don't believe me take a look at the amount of first time posts on their thread. If that is not a wake up call I don't know what is ....

QUOTE]

Can you post the link please to above as I can't find it & was going to send gold to HGM :(
  • edited 1 May 2013 at 10:36PM
    ejr2403ejr2403 Forumite
    28 posts
    edited 1 May 2013 at 10:36PM
    stay away from Hatton Garden Metals, if you don't believe me take a look at the amount of first time posts on their thread. If that is not a wake up call I don't know what is ....

This is incorrect. I do think HGM encourage their customers to register for and then post their experiences on this forum, but I also believe these are genuine happy customers. HGM gives a good service and price as does The Birmingham Gold Company. (which I believe started life out as the Manchester Gold Company see above )..lots of happy reviews on websites of both and have used both very happily

Martin's list is far from comprehensive and I know a few gold company owners who find that unfair.Best to shop around and avoid the deal direct refineries. Tescos pays OK but you can all do better IMO!! .

Lois good also and also scrapgolduk
  • robtgossardrobtgossard Forumite
    43 posts
    That's a lot informative discussion. My aunt has gold jewelry that she wants to sell off, but she is waiting for the gold prices to go up before she does so. Can anyone suggest the price point to sell gold? She is not in the urgency to sell.
  • BenDPBBenDPB Forumite
    3 posts
    I work in the Gold Buying industry and my advise would be to shop around and if possible enquire how much the item weighs.

If you are offered anything less than £10 a gram for 9ct I would politly tell them no, the best rates tend to be for anything from £10g-£12g if your lucky.

Also EVERY shop you go into wants YOUR Gold and they will try and haggle for that gold, the less they pay you the more profit they make which means more commision. Now this is where YOU haggle, never take the 2nd or maybe even 3rd offer they give you and if they ask how much you are looking for just simply say your best price and finally they will also ask of you have been somewhere else to which you say Yes if you have but if they ask how much you have been quoted do not tell them.

As Brits we tend to find it hard to haggle and negotioate on prices, the Gold selling is the easiest and best place to haggle for anything because that little bag of gold you was offered £100 for could go up to £150 in 5 minutes if your willing to work for it and not take the first offer no matter how tempting it sounds.
  • frankiesaysfrankiesays Forumite
    44 posts
    I have a gold pocket watch and chain that I am contemplating selling, how can I tell how much gold is in it as there is also the glass, etc. Everything inside appears to be hallmarked.
  • Buster_DanogBuster_Danog Forumite
    397 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Has anyone sold the gold from a dental crown. I had one removed and have the crown which is in two pieces. However, I don't now what carat gold it is, or the grams for that matter.
  • Not all gold buyers are as ruthless as may be perceived, I sent my gold to GoldRushMoney.co.uk and they tested and told me the carat of my gold as I had no idea whatsoever.

By the looks of things they're a new site and provided me with a really good service. So hopefully they don't turn ruthless like some of the others.
  • Has anyone sold the gold from a dental crown. I had one removed and have the crown which is in two pieces. However, I don't now what carat gold it is, or the grams for that matter.

Gold crowns will be a minimum of 14ct (approximately £15 per gram 5/07/2013), sometimes as high as 22ct (approximately £23.30 per gram). my Best advice is to clean it out as much as possible so only gold is left and no one has to estimate the weight - then send it or take it in person to a gold buyer that has access to an XRF 'gun' this technology allows them to scan the surface of the material to determine the carat.
  • Not all gold buyers are as ruthless as may be perceived, I sent my gold to GoldRushMoney.co.uk and they tested and told me the carat of my gold as I had no idea whatsoever.

By the looks of things they're a new site and provided me with a really good service. So hopefully they don't turn ruthless like some of the others.

You had no idea of the carat you sent them yet these guys have been amazing?

Maybe they have been 100% honest but how do you know that you didn't send in 18ct gold and they have told you its 9ct, pocketing gold at half price?

Its always best to find out before you post otherwise you are rolling the dice.

(I don't mean to imply that this company is doing anything fraudulent by the way - just illustrating what can happen, I've been in this industry way too long ;) )