We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Quantum Electrical heating by Dimplex

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    For that reason I am going for the Dimplex CXLS range which has got a convector boost if required. .

What is the price differential between a 'straight' NSH and this model of Dimplex?

Personally I would be wary of combining the two systems in the one 'box'.

'Normal' NSHs seem to last forever. There is bound to be some electronics to bring in the convector boost and those electronics could be the 'Achilles heel'.; so I would have a separate cheap convector.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    Even Sinclair didn't manage to deliver on the 'quantum' buzzword. Anything with quantum in the name should be ignored. Their advantages will be immeasurable.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Or even Rointe.

Wouldn't want anyone 'Googling' Rointe to miss your post!

- 'booooogar' it I'll have to backtrack & edit otherwise their legal team won't be able to find my posts .................... :D
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • madonmanilow
    Options
    Snap on timing Richie!! Thanks for blinding me with science ha ha. I,m a simple but logical person. You asked about my circumstances. I am a senior lady who was made redundant so I am in and out of the property during the day. I live in a 2 bed open plan duplex maisonette which is sandwiched between others and fairly well insulated including new, if not somewhat large windows. It is basically a fairly warm property the upstairs being furnished by the 2 large heaters downstairs which is adequate unless bitterly cold then I will use a convector upstairs to supplement but not all night. Might have to rethink that one! I discounted Rointe immediately. I am not taken in by any sales blurb hence the extensive research I have been doing. What fun it's been searching the forums which I never usually go on. So amusing a lot of the time but also very informative. The point is that I will not really know if I have made the right decision about the heaters until, like I say, the proof of the pudding etc. Still not discounted Quantum but prices have gone up a little and stock seems to be low. Whatever I had chosen should have been fitted today but I have been ill for 3 weeks so had to postpone which will take me to probably the colder weather but can't be helped.:(
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Just to add a little about the performance of NSH from personal experience. I am replacing my 20 odd year old NSH heaters soon as they appear to have outrun their useful life and are not working properly. For that reason I am going for the Dimplex CXLS range which has got a convector boost if required.
    The CXL and CXLS are the same as the XL and XLS but have a 13a 900W to 2kW convector built in to all 3 sized units. So for example if you had the CXL24 16 bricker you would be able to store just short of 24kWh of cheap electricity and have the benefit of a built in 2kW of extra available anytime you choose without the need for an extra heater or extra heater mounting wall space.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • madonmanilow
    Options
    Note for Cardew. The price difference you asked for is about £87 per heater between standard NSH compared for one with convector. I know you wall say you can buy a convector much cheaper, I know, I have one but would prefer to have it neater in one unit rather than supplementary heaters dotted around. The extra point will not be a problem. Also it will convect only when I say it can!! I've forgotten to mention that I have only been in this property for 15 months have come from a house with GSH so it has all been a learning curve for me. Still, good for the brain :)
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Snap on timing Richie!! Thanks for blinding me with science ha ha. I,m a simple but logical person. You asked about my circumstances. I am a senior lady who was made redundant so I am in and out of the property during the day. I live in a 2 bed open plan duplex maisonette which is sandwiched between others and fairly well insulated including new, if not somewhat large windows. It is basically a fairly warm property the upstairs being furnished by the 2 large heaters downstairs which is adequate unless bitterly cold then I will use a convector upstairs to supplement but not all night. Might have to rethink that one! I discounted Rointe immediately. I am not taken in by any sales blurb hence the extensive research I have been doing. What fun it's been searching the forums which I never usually go on. So amusing a lot of the time but also very informative. The point is that I will not really know if I have made the right decision about the heaters until, like I say, the proof of the pudding etc. Still not discounted Quantum but prices have gone up a little and stock seems to be low. Whatever I had chosen should have been fitted today but I have been ill for 3 weeks so had to postpone which will take me to probably the colder weather but can't be helped.:(

I would consider Quantum or even their DUO range. I would never consider Rointe because the end price of their water & space heating system with a 24 month warranty is stupidly high, and it would not fit lifestyle needs or my already good, but not good enough SAP rating. Additionally a shower man, who's never had a bath in 20 years I like the luxury of 120+ litres of boiling hot water every day of my life. It, the cylinder is PartL and then extra-over insulated, its cost relatively peanuts per year and .. .. I still have a hot fill washing machine.

In your case upping the amount of storage capacity in your living area might be all you need to do and spend. Changing your existing to a CXLS or DUO might be all you need to do, alternatively a fail safe cheap route would be to install an additional XLS12 will give you an extra 12kWh of storage needed to take advantage of the the cheap stuff. That would give am available storage capacity of 30-35kWh in the one most important room in your dwelling if you were ever to need it and a built in convector for the summer months when the night store side is not in use.
  • Wantbell
    Wantbell Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2013 at 12:43PM
    Options
    I would like to add to this discussion; my view being that the best electric heating product is dependant upon the way a room/dwelling is used and how much heat is required.

A Rointe product may in fact be cheaper to use than a NSH, if that room is heated for a couple of hours a day and well insulated, but for an elderly retired person requiring warmer temperatures for longer periods a NSH would be much cheaper.

The Quantum heater will provide additional savings over a NSH as anytime the fan is not running, heat which would normally be outputting from a NSH is saved for later. The fan may not be running due to the timer facility or room is at sufficient temperature. The good thing with temperature control is that unlike normal NSH the Q can take heat gains into account and stop outputting, unlike a standard NSH which will just overheat the room

Rointe products are no better from a running cost point of view than a £5 Chinese hater from pound stretchers! It's all marketing spill. Anybody who believes a more accurate thermostat makes a different needs to realise that the average room temperature over the course of the day is the same! Rointe compare themselves with NSH to justify the price. Also note they refer to economy 10 tariffs; these can be used for any heating product but note the additional costs compared to E7.

As I said, it's horses for courses, E7 is the cheapest form of heating if you need heat more often than not. Standard convector heaters could be cheaper if used less within a low heat loss room.

Also worth noting that EPCs for properties award NSH with better SAP energy ratings based on a standard pattern of occupation but this doesn't mean they are cheaper heaters for the end users lifestyle. Rointe products/on peak heaters get the worse SAP energy rating for a property, but how you live in that property is the question.

Quantum heaters will provide the highest SAP score for a property. Tested and proven by BRE who are responsible for the data used within the software that produces the EPC.
  • soupie69uk
    Options
    Just to say thanks for all the information folks.

I have ancient storage heaters and do not use them as when I get home from work they will be warm at best. I use a cheapish oil filled heater on wheels when I need it instead.

I hate the look of the old heaters on the wall and was considering all the ones which are branded dragon oil on here as they look great. Been put off by the reviews/information on here so saved myself a few quid.

I have also been looking at the Dimplex Quantum NSH. They are very expensive and some people rate them very highly and others have branded them as old tech just polished up.

Anyone got one of these yet and able to give some unblinkered opinions?

Thanks.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    The Delonghi's are the same as the hundreds of other similarly priced oil filled RADS with an on-stat. Quantum is miles away from 'old tech just polished up' as is reflected in the price.

If your current NSH is 'warm at best' when you get home, you are likely to be so under insulated that whatever form of E7 pre-heating you buy you will suffer from the same outcomes. How good or bad is your insulation & glazing is - is something to consider attending to before a new heating system is purchased.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport