IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,729 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a valid point and you can show us pictures in your own thread, not here which is just for POPLA decisions.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Mike172
    Mike172 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a thread for IAS decisions as well or would that be just full of failed appeals lol?

Out of interest do IPC PPC's pursue people with court action yet? I keep my eye on these forums from time to time and not a lot seems to have changed since the whole Beavis thing.
    Mike172 vs. UKCPM
    Won:20
    Lost: 0
    Pending: 0
    Times Ghosted: 15
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mike172 wrote: »
    Is there a thread for IAS decisions as well or would that be just full of failed appeals lol?

Out of interest do IPC PPC's pursue people with court action yet? I keep my eye on these forums from time to time and not a lot seems to have changed since the whole Beavis thing.

There's no IAS appeal thread. Have you succeeded at the IAS?

Gladstones and BWL have been serving court papers on thousands of motorists mainly for IPC members for the past 9 months or so. If you use the following link on a daily basis (the court list changes daily) you will see how many private parking cases are appearing at court each day. Many of the claims made by G's and BWL are still in the pipeline, yet to be allocated to a court.

http://www.bmpa.eu/court.html

There used to be only a handful of cases each week (mainly ParkingEye), but since Beavis it's more like 20-30 per day.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Mike172
    Mike172 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    There's no IAS appeal thread. Have you succeeded at the IAS?

Gladstones and BWL have been serving court papers on thousands of motorists mainly for IPC members for the past 9 months or so. If you use the following link on a daily basis (the court list changes daily) you will see how many private parking cases are appearing at court each day. Many of the claims made by G's and BWL are still in the pipeline, yet to be allocated to a court.

http://www.bmpa.eu/court.html

There used to be only a handful of cases each week (mainly ParkingEye), but since Beavis it's more like 20-30 per day.

No I avoid IPC operator carparks like the plague to the point where I will actually get back in my car and park/shop elsewhere now.

Interesting they actually proceed to court now. Thats dreadful. Do many on here succeed with appeals in court against an IPC operator?

Gets worse all the time the private parking firm industry..... How has it got so bad?
    Mike172 vs. UKCPM
    Won:20
    Lost: 0
    Pending: 0
    Times Ghosted: 15
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,729 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do many on here succeed with appeals in court against an IPC operator?
    The vast majority succeed and we are fighting back with claims against the PPCs where appropriate, too. I guess this is not the thread for discussing this issue though!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • plynch66
    Options
    POPLA assessment and decision
    20/01/2017
    Verification Code
    Decision
    Successful

Assessor Name
    Steve Macallan

Assessor summary of operator case

The operator states that it issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN), because the vehicle with registration XXXX XXX, “parked longer than the maximum period allowed” at Church Farm on 28 October 2016.

Assessor summary of your case

The appellant is questioning the operator’s authority to issue and pursue PCNs for this site. He is also questioning the accuracy of the operator’s Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system. He states the operator is in breach of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations Act (UTCCA) 1999 and that the amount of the PCN is “disproportionate” and also “punitive and unreasonable”.
    Assessor supporting rational for decision

The operator states that it issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN), because the vehicle with registration XXXX XXX, “parked longer than the maximum period allowed” at Church Farm on 28 October 2016. The appellant is questioning the operator’s authority to issue and pursue PCNs for this site. He is also questioning the accuracy of the operator’s Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system. He states the operator is in breach of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations Act (UTCCA) 1999 and that the amount of the PCN is “disproportionate” and also “punitive and unreasonable”. The terms and conditions state: “Failure to comply with the following will result in the issue of a £90 parking charge notice”, which includes “Parking limited to 1½ hours”. The operator has also provided photographic evidence of the vehicle arriving at 13:25 and departing at 15:17, for a total stay of one hour and 52 minutes.

The appellant has questioned the operator’s authority to issue and pursue PCNs for this site.

The operator has provided a copy of a witness statement which has been signed the day after the date of the contravention, and does not confirm authority prior to this date. In combination with the only date stamped photograph of a sign being from 12 January 2017, I am not satisfied the operator has provided sufficient evidence to demonstrate it had the appropriate landowner authority on the date of the alleged contravention. As such, I am unable to conclude that the operator issued the PCN correctly, and I must allow this appeal. For clarity, any issues the appellant has regarding potential breaches of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) regulations by the operator are outside of POPLA’s remit. This would be a matter between the appellant and the ICO.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    For clarity, any issues the appellant has regarding potential breaches of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) regulations by the operator are outside of POPLA’s remit. This would be a matter between the appellant and the ICO.
    But no reason for the OP not to contact the ICO themselves, as well as considering suing for wrongly accessing his/her data in breach of the DPA.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done :beer:

It is unreal that Euro try to con people including POPLA

"The operator has provided a copy of a witness statement which has been signed the day after the date of the contravention"

There are a few rooms left at Broadmoor
  • plynch66
    Options

FWIW - I've got one more shot to fire across their bows - I have lodged a complaint with Warrington Council's Planning Enforcement Team to the effect that ECP gave a false reason on their application to install their ANPR system. They described its purpose as follows :

"The site is the car park for Church Farm Retail Park which has a number of retail shops and
    restaurants around the car park. The site is managed by Burley Development Group. The
    ANPR will be used to monitor any entry and exit to the site. This information will be used to
    see the flow of traffic within the car park and allow retailers to identify busy shopping periods.
    It will also be used as a security measure to monitor vehicle registrations."

I believe this to be false.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    plynch66 wrote: »

FWIW - I've got one more shot to fire across their bows - I have lodged a complaint with Warrington Council's Planning Enforcement Team to the effect that ECP gave a false reason on their application to install their ANPR system. They described its purpose as follows :

"The site is the car park for Church Farm Retail Park which has a number of retail shops and
    restaurants around the car park. The site is managed by Burley Development Group. The
    ANPR will be used to monitor any entry and exit to the site. This information will be used to
    see the flow of traffic within the car park and allow retailers to identify busy shopping periods.
    It will also be used as a security measure to monitor vehicle registrations."

I believe this to be false.

Also complain to Trading Standards, the BPA, and the DVLA about their lies. Local and national press, your MP and Mrs May should also be made aware of the underhand methods used by parking scammers.
    Do you know if Euro Scammers Inc got Advertising Consent for their signs as well? That is a criminal offence if they didn't.

Well done on your win.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business