IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Options

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Eebe wrote: »
    Success against Highview Parking at Coventry Airport Retail Park, owned by LondonMetric Property. Overstayed 3 hours free parking due to newly introduced poor signage. Appealed to HP on this basis but was rejected. Appealed to POPLA and HP decided not to contest.

Run, run, run away, Highview Parking!

Good result however achieved. Well done!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • AKent
    Options
    Southeastern Railway car park, ticket for non-display of permit

Appealed 25/07/16, on hold since then as a byelaws case.

Appealed on the grounds that I had a permit (enclosed photo) and the Indigo "evidence" consisted only of photos of the car which had such bad reflections from the windscreen that you could only see half of the dashboard. This was the only grounds of appeal, as I hadn't read the forum back then!

Received notification today as follows:

Thank you for submitting your parking charge Appeal to POPLA.

An Appeal has been opened with the reference xxx.

Indigo Solutions have told us they do not wish to contest the Appeal. This means that your Appeal is successful and you do not need to pay the parking charge.

Yours sincerely

POPLA Team
  • Frade
    Frade Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 15 February 2017 at 7:58PM
    Options
    Decision
    Successful

Assessor Name

Assessor summary of operator case
    The operator’s case is that the appellant parked without displaying a valid permit.

Assessor summary of your case
    The appellant’s case is that the Notice to Keeper (NTK) is not PoFA compliant, not relevant land under PoFA, no authority from the landowner, poor signage and the parking charge is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

Assessor supporting rational for decision
    I acknowledge the reason the operator has issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN). The burden of proof lies with the operator to demonstrate that it has issued the PCN correctly. In this instance, I am satisfied that the keeper of the vehicle is entitled to appeal the validity of this PCN, as the operator has issued a NTK to the keepers address. I note the operator advises that it is not attempting to transfer the liability for the charge using the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and so in mind, the operator continues to hold the driver responsible. As such, I must first consider whether I am confident that I know who the driver is, based on the evidence received. After considering the evidence, I am unable to confirm that the appellant is in fact the driver. As such, I must allow the appeal on the basis that the operator has failed to demonstrate that the appellant is the driver and therefore liable for the charge. As I am allowing the appeal on this basis, I do not need to consider the other grounds of appeal raised by the appellant. Accordingly, I must allow this appeal
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,205 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Frade wrote: »
    Decision
    Successful

Assessor summary of operator case
    The operator’s case is that the appellant parked without displaying a valid permit.

Assessor summary of your case
    The appellant’s case is that the Notice to Keeper (NTK) is not PoFA compliant, not relevant land under PoFA, no authority from the landowner, poor signage and the parking charge is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

Assessor supporting rational for decision
    I acknowledge the reason the operator has issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN). The burden of proof lies with the operator to demonstrate that it has issued the PCN correctly. In this instance, I am satisfied that the keeper of the vehicle is entitled to appeal the validity of this PCN, as the operator has issued a NTK to the keepers address.

I note the operator advises that it is not attempting to transfer the liability for the charge using the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and so in mind, the operator continues to hold the driver responsible.

As such, I must first consider whether I am confident that I know who the driver is, based on the evidence received. After considering the evidence, I am unable to confirm that the appellant is in fact the driver.

As such, I must allow the appeal on the basis that the operator has failed to demonstrate that the appellant is the driver and therefore liable for the charge. As I am allowing the appeal on this basis, I do not need to consider the other grounds of appeal raised by the appellant. Accordingly, I must allow this appeal

Well done, here was your thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5603706

APCOA at Luton Airport, beaten again! :)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • meater
    meater Posts: 46 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    UKPC fold again before getting to POPLA appeal. Another win for the MSE team :)

No thread made for this one but have received a reply from both POPLA & UKPC to say they won't be challenging any further.
  • cretoony
    Options
    Successful appeal against a PCN with NCP at London underground carpark for parking outside of a bay (along with 6 other cars, bad carpark design). Had a rejected original appeal by NCP, appealed to POPLA quoting signage, railway bylaws etc. on advice from Coupon Mad, The Deep and Umkomaas. Received email stating:

"NCP Ltd have told us they do not wish to contest the Appeal" Apparently Cancelled as a gesture of goodwill.

Big respect to everyone on the forum! Cheers

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5578524
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Great result, and thanks for linking this to your original thread. Reading back over it is useful - reminds me of what I said a couple of months back, hard to keep tabs on every bit of advice given. Lord knows how Coupon-mad remembers. :)

Well done.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • HCRIBA
    Options
    hi,

My first posting but need help with getting 10 digit code for city of london council but they have sent me a notice of rejection email attached with appeal application. I have rang and asked if they can provide me with the code but they say they are not aware of this code.

can you help please
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,205 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    HCRIBA wrote: »
    hi,

My first posting but need help with getting 10 digit code for city of london council but they have sent me a notice of rejection email attached with appeal application. I have rang and asked if they can provide me with the code but they say they are not aware of this code.

can you help please

City of London Council are not a private parking firm! You have a real penalty charge there.

Your next level of appeal is explained in their rejection letter AND on the back of the PCN AND on the CoL website about penalty charges.

If you want help with a Council PCN, post on pepipoo in the right forum:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HCRIBA wrote: »
    hi,

can you help please

This has nothing to do with POPLA - And you clearly agreed to not hijack threads as part of your signup.

Post this in the main forum for more help.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback