Shout credit card

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Shout is such a rip off. I originally had a RISE credit card and paid a fee something like £3.50 for every £100 balance on the card unless paid off.

They then changed me to Shout and started charging £10 a month just for having the card without even asking if I wanted to change to Shout.
  • maria932
    Options
    I have a card from these and there customer services is absolutly crap. I spent a little too much and was unable to pay in full so im paying monthly but when Lloyds TSB split into 2 banks caused probs with some DD's. I got in touch with them to try and sort it out and they put the phone down on me.
    There was a major communication problem as they speak very little English. I wrote a letter and they ignored everything. By this point im now in arrears by 1 month. I tried calling again to speak to supervisor they refused to take my call. I wrote another letter.
    Its still not resolved but when i have payed it off that is it it. I will never be a customer of theres again and will always warn people to stay away as I have had a terrible time with them
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    maria932 wrote: »
    I have a card from these and there customer services is absolutly crap. I spent a little too much and was unable to pay in full so im paying monthly but when Lloyds TSB split into 2 banks caused probs with some DD's. I got in touch with them to try and sort it out and they put the phone down on me.
    There was a major communication problem as they speak very little English. I wrote a letter and they ignored everything. By this point im now in arrears by 1 month. I tried calling again to speak to supervisor they refused to take my call. I wrote another letter.
    Its still not resolved but when i have payed it off that is it it. I will never be a customer of theres again and will always warn people to stay away as I have had a terrible time with them

If they call you either ask to speak to a manager or deal with them in writing. You would think we live in some corrupt third world country, not the UK, the way their call handlers go on.
  • Atidi
    Atidi Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    The early posts in this thread suggest that shout is aimed at those with bad credit history, wishing to attempt to rebuild it.

So if anyone was in that position, and again falls into difficulties paying back what they have spent, even just the minimum amount per month (which is not recommended as a MSE principle), then I think those people really will have difficulty ever getting a credit card again ... which in their circumstances is probably quite a good thing :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Atidi wrote: »
    The early posts in this thread suggest that shout is aimed at those with bad credit history, wishing to attempt to rebuild it.

So if anyone was in that position, and again falls into difficulties paying back what they have spent, even just the minimum amount per month (which is not recommended as a MSE principle), then I think those people really will have difficulty ever getting a credit card again ... which in their circumstances is probably quite a good thing :)

I closed my Shout card when they changed from Rise as they started charging £10 a month just for having the card.
  • Atidi
    Atidi Posts: 943 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2013 at 1:22PM
    Options
    I closed my Shout card when they changed from Rise as they started charging £10 a month just for having the card.

#Goodcall :T

£120 a year for a credit card is outrageous ... even more so if there are no obvious benefits.

Still, I suppose that charge was when they dropped their interest charges. At least people will know how much they have to pay each month.

But with a £300 max credit limit (at least initially), even if you are maxed out, £10 a month charge is quite a lot ... 582% APR according to their website... but that has a higher monthly payment.

Looking at their website, there doesn't appear to be a monthly charge as such. i.e. if you haven't spent anything (and you paid your last bill in full) then you are not charged anything.

Charges seem to be £15 a month for credit balances of up to £100, £30 a month for credit balances of £101.01 - £200 and £45 a month for credit balances over £200*
    (On top of that the minimum payment also is 10% of the outstanding balance)
    *the monthly charge actually increases by £15 per £100 balance, if you should happen to have balance above £300

Minimum monthly payment is never less than £25 (unless your full balance is less than that, in which case you just pay that amount.)

https://www.shoutcreditcard.co.uk/Summary-box-CLH.pdf
  • shepochu
    Options
    I have just applied for this card, wish I had read this first, will cancel it in the morning, seems like financial suicide the more I think about it (not a first for me).

Thanks

Shepochu
  • shepochu
    Options
    just out of interest I calculated how much a £300 card spend would cost if you just payed the minimum repayment (10% plus the fee) and the total stands at 1800 and would take 104 months to clear. On the plus side I did find this easier to work out than an APR calculation.

Handle with caution only use in the short term !
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I suppose it's cheaper than a pay day loan if you are desperate but as already said, this card is financial suicide.

When they changed my Rise card to Shout, I thought it was just a branding exercise but it's a lot more than that.
  • DAD39
    DAD39 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    What can I Say...But stay away from them I am a customer with them and tried to use my card to purchase some items the card came back as declined...I got on the phone to them and asked why my card has been declined ? they told me that my account is closing as my credit does not meet their criteria when asked again they told me my credit was to good for them and they don't want my custom any more...bearing in mind I have always paid on time never missed a payment....But that reason is a new one on me!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure