Looking for the silver lining

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,403 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Buffy - still not got him in at the docs. He wants to wait and see if he feels better after weekend.

He's been down today and has been looking for MacMillan phone number just to talk to someone. He has been watching something on TV where a woman's husband died of non Hodgkins Lymphoma - which is what he's got and it's set him off. Tried to pacify him by saying he's much younger than him. Sigh.

Embarrassing moment with him yesterday - the old him would never have done this - he rummaged through someone's skip when we were walking dog because there was a ladder in it. He has become obsessed with ladders!!!! Was shouting at him to stop!!

Goals for August are lose 4lbs, get up to date with spending card so I can pay more off debt and pay as much as I can off debt.

Things I need to sort out:

1. Need to decide whether to sell house or get remortgage to do it up
    2. Look into joining the gym I mentioned the other day
    3. Get Mr SA sorted with brain tumour support group
    4. Start menu planning again

Re driving - decided to put this on hold until I'm in the right mindset. Can't afford to run a car right now and can manage without one. Not in the right frame of mind for lessons at the moment. Will see if Mr SA can drive again next year, if not then I'll do it.

By the way still not received £100 owed from NPower. Does that surprise you? I don't think so. I bet if it was me who owed them it would have been taken out of bank by now! When it finally arrives it is earmarked for paying off debt.

And finally - we have had torrential rain tonight, thunderstorms, flash flooding, the works!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,464 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Bleeping Sc Power.
    Get in touch with your local MP's office to put a rocket up their jaxie.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Lost the coffee battle yesterday and the pub lunch battle. In fact yesterday was a lost day all round, got nothing done. Thanks to Hurricane Bertha we have been confined to barracks today so it's been a no spend day. :) Torrential rain and just awful. Managed to get cleaning done and DS and family came round this afternoon so got to see GD again. She's really coming on now.

Got an email from Audible saying thanks for joining them (at £7.99 a month!!). Had no knowledge of doing this so guess who is the guilty party? Yes Mr SA and his interfering with computer again and clicking on stuff he knows nothing about. Managed to cancel thankfully. Aagh!!!!
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Thank goodness you could cancel it! That's £96 a year :eek:.

Yay to DGD cuddles and NSDs. Boo to Big Bertha Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,464 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank goodness you could cancel it! That's £96 a year :eek:.

Yay to DGD cuddles and NSDs. Boo to Big Bertha Xx

From me too :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    Costa have a loyalty card.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• Sun_Addict
    Options
    He's got a Costa card and a Cafe Nero one. Like Robin pointed out earlier it's the social aspect of it, it's something he can do that doesn't take it out of him and it's his chance to do something normal. My only beef about it is that at the weekend I like at least one day when I can get my household jobs done, preferably Saturday then it's over and done with. For instance Saturday just gone he wanted to go for a coffee then it turned into lunch and we didn't get home until 3pm. I didn't really feel like cleaning up when we got back so it got left until Sunday. My weekends are so precious to me as I get very little time to catch up on things and relax and days like that just take too much of a chunk out of the weekend. It's alright for him because he's at home all week. Before he got ill we used to take the dog out in the van for a long walk and hardly ever went into town. Now we're limited to where we can get to on the bus and where he can have a sit down when he gets tired. He can't walk far without having to rest even using his stick. It's just finding a balance that suits us both really. Having said that we're at a food and drink festival this weekend. We can go either Saturday or Sunday and we'll choose whichever day has the best weather forecast. Looking forward to it.
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SA, could you say "yes, let's go for coffee this afternoon after I've done xyz" that way you avoid having lunch out? Could Mr SA make lunch whilst you're doing your chores?

In terms of the carer, I think you need to strongly advise him that purchases at the likes of B&Q must be pre-planned, i.e. must have your agreement. It would perhaps be ok to have a ceiling of £x that doesn't have to be agreed upon? The carer needs to know the parameters so that he avoids getting himself/Mr SA in trouble from you, and also avoids battles with Mr SA. After all, if the budget is blown on unplanned items, there'll be no budget for his wages.
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    Do they have any coffee afternoons/mornings suitable for DH to go to whereby the coffee is free/very cheap?? Our local salvation army does a coffee morning nearly every morning, I used to go to the mum & baby one and there were lots of other ones- not just ones for very elderly and the very young I should point out ;) Does he like reading? Our library does lots of different activities/events- perhaps he'd be inclined to forego the coffee for another activity? Talking of coffee though our library has an excellent coffee shop in it and half the price of c0sta! Does his carer know of any other activity/events in the local areas to persuade Mr SA to stay away from coffee on a daily basis.....?! (and thus save money?)
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF Goal 2- £259.70/300 86.6%(EF total £1750.96 - 1 month expenses! )~ NSD 4/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £283.29 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £97,285.47
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions, all very welcome. You will probably roll your eyes though as he did both Costa and B&Q with the carer yesterday. However, he did ring me to check first that he could buy a new hosepipe, our old one has sprung holes, so I said yes. Can't believe it cost £30, didn't realise hosepipes were so expensive. The carer does all he can to occupy Mr SA and keep him away from coffees as he's not too keen himself. Satchmo - re your suggestion of him making lunch - he always cadges lunch out by saying "you won't feel like making lunch when we get home, it'll save you doing it" - no word of either making it himself or helping me. DFW- he used to enjoy reading but sadly the brain damage makes it difficult for him to concentrate.

Mr SA still not feeling well. He's worried his Lymphoma has come back. He's got an MRI scan next week and consultant's appointment 2 weeks later where they'll take blood and check for this so hopefully his mind will be put at rest then (and mine too).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport