Traditional Party bag or an Easter egg?

Options
Hi,

My little girls turn 3 soon! I've booked her a party and I was thinking about party bags, I'd be making my own. I was thinking a bottle of bubbles, a slice of cake and a sweet, plus the bag is about £1 per child. But Tesco's have offers on easter eggs at the moment £1.50 each buy 2 get 2 free, and I was debating whether to just get all the kids an easter egg each instead at 75p per child.

Her party is the weekend before easter.

Has anybody done this and how did it go down? As a parent ould it bother you if your child got an easter egg and a slice of cake instead of a party bag?

Comments

• LisaLou1982
    LisaLou1982 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I would do the Easter eggs for the following reasons

Its cheaper therefore better for your pocket
    All kids like chocolate

That is all...
    £2 Savers Club #156! :)
    Looking for holiday ideas for 2016. Currently, Isle of Skye in March, Riga in May, Crete in June and Lake District in October. August cruise cancelled, but Baby due September 2016! :j
  • Moomum
    Moomum Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    My LO s birthday is on 1st April, we had her 2nd birthday last year and gave out cadburys egg heads (£1 each at tesco). We did this mainly because of the age range at her party and they went down really well. Will def do it at future parties too!
  • Threebabes
    Threebabes Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another vote for easter eggs, I think its a good idea. My sister whos son has a xmas birthday, did selection boxes.
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    As long as all the kids can eat chocolate it's a good idea. My niece has multiple allergies and although she'd accept it graciously she'd probably be a little upset. Otherwise, it's a great idea.
  • Erinnire
    Erinnire Posts: 515 Forumite
    Options
    gingin wrote: »
    As long as all the kids can eat chocolate it's a good idea. My niece has multiple allergies and although she'd accept it graciously she'd probably be a little upset. Otherwise, it's a great idea.

I hadn't thought of that, Im just inviting children from Nursery so I will ask them when I give them the invites, obviously they wouldnt be able to tell me but maybe if a child can't have chocolate they can ask the parents to let me know and I can sort out something else for them.

Thanks Gingin!

Thanks everyone else, I am going to go for it. Will pop into Tesco's tomorrow!
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you think any of the families might be church goers? If so, then it could possibly be a problem, e.g. my daughter has given up chocolate for Lent, so wouldn't be able to eat the egg until a week later. She's 10 so old enough to understand the choice that she has made, but other families might have chosen to all do the same and it's tricky to take a present from a small child in this situation.
  • Xaniwoop
    Xaniwoop Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    definitely go with the eggs. Much more original than a party bag and no plastic tat to clutter up the house - win win!

I can't imagine under fives giving up chocolate for lent (I'm a church goer and I wouldn't go that far myself!) but if they were they could keep the egg until easter Sunday, I would guess that the parents would have had to encourage that kind of delayed gratification more than once in the 40 days already.
  • kitschkitty
    Options
    If you get the flake eggs they contain 4 mini flakes & 2 egg halves (by that I mean not 1 egg that won't break in half).

Having just eaten one myself I would say you could easily give a 3yo a half with 2 mini flakes, a slice of cake (and something extra if you feel like it) and it's be plenty of choc for them, that would only be 38p per child for the choc - and if any kids parent's wouldn't be happy with eggs you could give them the choc bars & something else. :)
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    Options
    Threebabes wrote: »
    Another vote for easter eggs, I think its a good idea. My sister whos son has a xmas birthday, did selection boxes.

DS shared his birthday party with a friend two weeks before Christmas last year and we gave out selection boxes and a piece of birthday cake instead of a party bag. Wilkinsons had an offer on so they worked out at 75p each too. I would agree that giving an Easter egg is a good idea, DS and DD have been to parties where they've been given them before, to much excitement!

Jx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    cte1111 wrote: »
    Do you think any of the families might be church goers? If so, then it could possibly be a problem, e.g. my daughter has given up chocolate for Lent, so wouldn't be able to eat the egg until a week later. She's 10 so old enough to understand the choice that she has made, but other families might have chosen to all do the same and it's tricky to take a present from a small child in this situation.

Any family prepared to make choices for their child should also be prepared for eventualities like this.

The OP should check for food allergies (although most parents in that situation will volunteer this info in my experience) but it's a bit much for her to start thinking about 3 year olds fasting!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure