HSBC Cash ISA 2013

Hi folks,

ISA season is pretty much upon us, and though we don’t know what rates will be like this year yet, we're starting to do some digging and want to know if you've heard anything through the grapevine.

Things like details of HSBC's new ISAs, rate changes or deals exclusively for existing customers, anything at all really!

As ever, your help is much appreciated :)

MSE Sally

Comments

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    What new HSBC cash isas are this ? Can't see anything they are offering that hasn't been there for yonks. Granted, their 2.75% isa is becoming more attractive day by day.
  • beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mr_K wrote: »
    What new HSBC cash isas are this ? Can't see anything they are offering that hasn't been there for yonks. Granted, their 2.75% isa is becoming more attractive day by day.

Though it's exclusively for HSBC current account customers only.
  • ANGLICANPAT
    ANGLICANPAT Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 March 2013 at 1:13PM
    My guess is that that 2.75% will drop like a stone with little warning as soon as HSBC thinks it has 'held' its present customers past the date it thinks the majority will be hunting for good deals, but will be just enough less than other providers to make it not worth while going to the trouble of changing. Be happy to be wrong though as OH 's money is there. I think the PO will do the same thing with their earlier edition instant ISA which is still paying somewhere around 3%
  • kenny62
    kenny62 Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2013 at 1:30PM
    I have just been to hsbc to open a basic account ,but they said i cant transfer my isa if i only open a basic account ? so i am trying online there not interested in store , wasn't very helpful ,just try ed to get me open a different account said the basic is just for people with bad credit and on benefits ?

Update as i had no luck in store branch i just called and the same again they couldn't understand why i just wanted a basic account, So i said i want to take advantage of the isa transfer higher rate for current account holders .I said is it illegal to do what i am trying to do ? as i cant seam to get it across to any of the hsbc staff in branch or on phone So they are sending me a pack , probably be out dated by the time i finally get an account open .
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 March 2013 at 2:03PM
    Try a Bank Account, not a Basic Bank Account. http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/current-accounts

There is certainly nothing illegal about opening a HSBC Bank Account and then opening an HSBC ISA. Their policy might be not to allow ISA applications from people who don't have a current account, and they might not be too pleased with people who only open a current account in order to get access to the ISA. There's no reason to tell them that you have your eye on their ISA when you apply for the Bank Account.

You can apply for the Bank Account online, though I recall it took ages for them to open mine.
  • TheAlex
    TheAlex Posts: 37 Forumite
    My guess is that that 2.75% will drop like a stone with little warning as soon as HSBC thinks it has 'held' its present customers past the date it thinks the majority will be hunting for good deals
    You were right! :/ I had an appointment to transfer my ISA over to HSBC today but just before I did I asked to double-check the rate. The member of staff then double-checked it as it had only just reduced. Luckily for me my appointment had been delayed from last week, otherwise the transfer would have already been signed...

They did have a branch ISA that was still higher than my current ISA but I may stick with Natwest who have already announced their drop.
    The Cakes - new release now on Spotify!
  • NabCom
    NabCom Posts: 9 Forumite
    Glad I subscribed to this thread, I only opened the account last week, I see there is a "right to cancel your account within 30 days of opening it"
    Hope cancelling the transfer in doesn't get complicated.
  • gulveal
    gulveal Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am in a similar position, having opened a Cash e-ISA a few days ago and I am just waiting for my old ISA to transfer across.

I have been reassured by finding a PDF version of the interest rates on the Cash e-ISA interest rates page, which shows the old rates still being in force for Cash e-ISAs opened prior to 25th March 2013.

David:j
  • NabCom
    NabCom Posts: 9 Forumite
    gulveal wrote: »
    I am in a similar position, having opened a Cash e-ISA a few days ago and I am just waiting for my old ISA to transfer across.

I have been reassured by finding a PDF version of the interest rates on the Cash e-ISA interest rates page, which shows the old rates still being in force for Cash e-ISAs opened prior to 25th March 2013.

David:j

Well spotted, just as well I didn't burst into action.

Many thanks.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    gulveal wrote: »
    Well spotted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport