Replacing debit card with contactless card

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
48 replies 15.4K views

Replies

• JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    + I can't imagine a thief trying to use contactless as it would be really awkward for them if there was a random security check :P

Also because most card thieves want to buy expensive goods they can sell on for cash, not sandwiches.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    Also because most card thieves want to buy expensive goods they can sell on for cash, not sandwiches.

Indeed, the only problem I can see with contactless is the contactless ATMs in Spain. I can imagine some thief withdrawing 25 euros quite easily.
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, the only problem I can see with contactless is the contactless ATMs in Spain. I can imagine some thief withdrawing 25 euros quite easily.

With a £20 limit it would still be so utterly pointlessly unprofitable to commit that type of fraud that it wouldn't be worth bothering. The risk of getting caught and punished is far too high in relation to the reward.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    With a £20 limit it would still be so utterly pointlessly unprofitable to commit that type of fraud that it wouldn't be worth bothering. The risk of getting caught and punished is far too high in relation to the reward.

Oh I agree, it would be much easier to skim a few cards and buy a few thousand pounds worth of goods.
  • BosieBosie Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    rb10 wrote: »
    Firstly, there is a limit to the number of consecutive contactless transactions that a card can perform before a PIN transaction is required. So that limits the potential loss to under £100.

However, you can be >99% certain that the bank will refund any fraudulent transaction on your account, even if the transactions happen before you notice that your card is missing. It's not something to worry about.

Thanks rb10, never thought about it until my friend put the thought there!
  • I just hope they will increase there security of the cards as I have heard and seen major security flaws with these cards!!!
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just hope they will increase there security of the cards as I have heard and seen major security flaws with these cards!!!

The fears are massively overhyped. I have never, ever heard of a contactless fraud. Ever.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • matttyematttye Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wanted a contactless card and got one about a year ago, but haven't been in a situation where I've been able to use it yet! Hardly anywhere supports them.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • dalesriderdalesrider Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    I just hope they will increase there security of the cards as I have heard and seen major security flaws with these cards!!!

Do you think that the card provider are stupid enough to introduce something insecure. That will cost them money...

So far in nearly 2 years I have seen 1 true case of contactless fraud.
    Ran to a massive total of £15 :rotfl:
    Yet I deal with many stolen at ATM cases and these never then go onto use the contactless facility...

Clearly as far as the card providers go. Contactless is not a risk at all.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • gusgormangusgorman Forumite
    38 Posts
    dalesrider wrote: »
    So far in nearly 2 years I have seen 1 true case of contactless fraud.
    Ran to a massive total of £15 :rotfl:
    Yet I deal with many stolen at ATM cases and these never then go onto use the contactless facility...
    As was mentioned the last time this came up - this is because the technology is new. As is normal with any new technology, as it becomes more common cases of fraud will increase.
    dalesrider wrote: »
    Clearly as far as the card providers go. Contactless is not a risk at all.
    It might not be a risk to them, but it is a risk to their customers. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804

If someone wants to use contactless to make payments, then in most cases they will be happy to accept any security risk that goes along with carrying the card.

However, if someone doesn't want to use contactless then it makes sense for them to contact their bank and ask to opt out.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides