Bank of Ireland tracker mortgage % increase

in Mortgages & Endowments
1.1K replies 113.9K views

Replies

• smiffysmiffy Forumite
    173 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    36square wrote: »
    The FSA and FOS may have limited powers to act here since Buy-to-Let mortgages are an unregulated product as far as I know.
    I'm currently trying to switch before 1 May and it clearly says 'Unregulated Product' at the top of the Key Facts Illustrations I'm being sent.

This seems to be a bit of a grey area, as pre 31st October 2004, the mortgage code was in place.

It might be worth a listen to this as they specifically mention Buy-to-Let customers and the FSA.
  • HobbyHobby Forumite
    28 Posts
    36square wrote: »
    The FSA and FOS may have limited powers to act here since Buy-to-Let mortgages are an unregulated product as far as I know.
    I'm currently trying to switch before 1 May and it clearly says 'Unregulated Product' at the top of the Key Facts Illustrations I'm being sent.

The irony here is that Residential Mortgages are protected by the FSA and its those conditions contained within the BTL mortgage that are being used to shaft us. I am hopeful that this point alone will enable the FSA to rule on them........in any event the FOS will do so.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant see how its a mis-sale. The issue isnt about the sale of the product but the contract.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • HobbyHobby Forumite
    28 Posts
    dunstonh wrote: »
    I cant see how its a mis-sale. The issue isnt about the sale of the product but the contract.

It's also about the fact that they were sold as Base rate Tracker mortgages when in fact they are anything but. The nearest tyoe of mortgage that they really are is a Variable rate mortgage with the rate set at the discretion of the bank of Ireland.

Get the point!
  • noddynoonoddynoo Forumite
    346 Posts
    ✭✭
    They are a tracker with a clause which in effect says they remain a tracker until the rate becomes a disadvantage to the bank and then they can vary it.
  • HobbyHobby Forumite
    28 Posts
    noddynoo wrote: »
    They are a tracker with a clause which in effect says they remain a tracker until the rate becomes a disadvantage to the bank and then they can vary it.

Yep , so not a tracker then.
  • noddynoonoddynoo Forumite
    346 Posts
    ✭✭
    No a tracker until it becomes silly which it has atm with current rates and BofE demands for banks to hold more capital.
  • HobbyHobby Forumite
    28 Posts
    noddynoo wrote: »
    No a tracker until it becomes silly which it has atm with current rates and BofE demands for banks to hold more capital.

Ahh I get it , so what you are saying is a tracker for only some of the time and anything the bank wants for the perod of time that its not a tracker.

So lets say for twenty years out of a twenty five year term its not a tracker........

I reckon that means its not actually a tracker....at best its clearly been mis-sold as one.....anyway we shall see!
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    And none of that makes it a mis-sale. It makes it a contract that has terms which may be considered unfair. Although that has to be determined.

Mis-sale is when the person selling it does something wrong. The seller is responsible. This is a contract issue. Not a mis-sale issue. The provider has the issue here. Not the seller.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JacquelinesaraJacquelinesara Forumite
    2 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I now have a bank of Ireland buy to let mortgage, but I originally took the mortgage out with the Bristol and west as a residential mortgage. B&W swapped it over to a buy to let 5 years ago. Would I have any leg to stand on as I was originally with Bristol and West?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides