MSE News: Apple UK urged to refund kids' iPad and iPhone app cash

Options

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have, I totally disagree with MSE on this one. Its the parents responsibility to look after their money and make sure anything they give their kids isn't going to cost them more money than they expect.

You can hardly blame a phone company for allowing your kid to know your password :)

What next for Martin?

Demand money back from banks because the child knew the PIN number and withdrew money from an ATM using their debit card?
    ====
  • rockin_plumber
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    What next for Martin?

Demand money back from banks because the child knew the PIN number and withdrew money from an ATM using their debit card?

I can see it now...

My child withdrew £200 and spent it on iTunes cards....
    I want apple to refund me
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    I can see it now...

My child withdrew £200 and spent it on iTunes cards....
    I want apple to refund me

And the bank don't forget...double bubble :D

I think most of MSE's campaigns are great on the flipside...just not this one
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • rockin_plumber
    Options
    And the bank don't forget...double bubble :D

Oh yes.. Very MSE :D
  • Jezzamk
    Jezzamk Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am surprised how many people seem to allow children to use iPhones/iPads etc without ensuring that a password is needed before spending money.

Who knows what else they may be looking at. Most apps will be fairly safe as Apple controls what is available but all sorts of stuff can be found/looked at on the internet and Apple can't control that.

I do think that some of the apps aimed at children should be reviewed by Apple. Allowing small in game purchases is one thing but £69.99 for a mountain of food or gems is absurd. Perhaps there should be a limit on the cost of a single 'in app' purchase. I am not suggesting that app prices be limited as some apps may be worth a high price (not that I can think of any but...).
  • g4kvi
    g4kvi Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I maybe wrong but I am sure if you read the T & C of most companies it is YOUR responsibility to ensure your details ie passwords and pins are not given out or become known by other people. Look at a joint bank account you have sepearte pins. I have to say if I was Apple I would say if you are stupid to let your kids use something without proper supervision then tough S,,,,, I assume the next one will be who has withdrawn £1000 from my bank?? Mr bank manager will you refund it as I gave my kids the pin number. people need to stop finding some else to blame for their own stupidity.
  • CaroleCH
    Options
    When the iPad1 first came out I allowed my 5 year old Grandson to play Wii Farm. Great! Until I was billed for every drop of feed that he had purchased on my non-pass protected account! Took advice from Apple set up a password and contacted the game makers who helped me to get a full refund. My own fault but it wasn't clear that there was a charge. It taught me a lesson and I deleted the game too. It's easy to be cynical and I agree it's our own responsibility. I wonder if they would be so helpful now?
  • DJ_Mike
    DJ_Mike Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Man, I should have some kids so I can blame them for all my frivolous purchases and get me some money back! :)
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is the next demand from MSE going to be "Parents! Take responsibility for what your children do"? Doubt it somehow.
  • Well, going against the thread on this...

On an ipad/iphone, there are defaults which allow a 15 minute window AFTER a password has been set, where the user doesn't need to re-enter it. Also, in-app purchases are enabled by default.

Now, I've seen 2 year olds that are quite able to use an ipad. My 3 year old is very proficient - and knows what to click if he wants to buy 'add-ons'. I also have my credit card linked to my itunes account.

If I wasn't computer savy, it's very possible that my boy would have spent money on my card, without needing to ever see my password.

BUT - I've set mine in 'protected' mode so he can't see the app store, can't make in-app purchases and the password doesn't allow the 15 minute window. Yes, it's the parent's responsibility to do this - but they've made it very, very easy to spend money on these devices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure