Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Ditching sky for freeview...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
18 replies 6.7K views
alightowlersalightowlers Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Hi,

After reviewing our finances my partner and I have decided to leave sky, simply due to the fact that we do not watch the sky channels enough to constitute paying £44month for the service.

However we have had Sky+ for four 4 years and have grown rather attached to the pause and record live TV, as well as recording 2 programs at the same time.

We've looked into various options being the following:
-Buy a freeview+ box with twin tuner so we retain all the functions of the sky+ box
-Buy a new TV all together with built in freeview and use the USB function to record
-Buy a new TV and a freeview recorder

My questions are as follows (apologies if they seem stupid -I'm not particularly tech-savy when it comes to this stuff) :

1. Most TVs I've seen have a usb port, however only some mention a USB recording facility. Does any TV with a usb port allow you to pause and record live TV or is it only certain televisions?

2. Once Sky has been cancelled, can we connect a freeview box to the dish in order to receive a signal?

3. I have seen people mentioning FreeSat as an alternative to freeview but don't really understand the difference. Would we be better off getting freesat instead of freeview?

I'm basically trying to avoid ordering things I won't need (i.e. a freeview box if the TV can provide it built in, etc.)... Also trying to do this as cheaply as possible.

Desired outcome would be to be able to record freeview channels in the way that Sky+ can, preferably on a new TV!

Sorry for going on... Any help/advice would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• You get freesat through a satellite dish same as sky so a direct replacement for sky if you don't have an aerial.

Therefore if you don't have an aerial then freesat may be the best option for you.

There are also some other factors to consider in that freesat and freeview have a slightly different channel line up, so check which one may suit you best.

Another thing to note is that freesat recorders tend to be more expensive than freeview recorders but this is something to consider if you don't have an existing aerial.
  • kevin52kevin52 Forumite
    156 Posts
    Lots of useful information on Freesat including boxes which record (Freesat+) and those which don't (FreesatHD and Freesat) here:
    http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/
  • hiya we have just done this recently. when you cancel sky you can still use the sky box (remove the card) and you get the free view channels through the sky box for free. however like you i liked the record and pause function so we pay sky £10 a month for this feature!
    Debt Free Wannabe since Sept 2012!
    £8,106.27 / £10,770.00 - 75.26% paid!! Getting closer!
    Debt Free by Xmas 2013!!
    Thanks to those that post freebies and competitions!
  • I've got a Humax Foxsat freesat box and it does all the recording stuff you're talking about, really like it.

Your requirements are a little mixed up, though....You say you want it done as cheap as possible, but then say you'd prefer to get a new TV.

Getting a freesat HDR will be cheaper than getting a TV - but if you want a new TV anyway, that may change things....
  • Thanks for your responses. :)

Just so I know, if I was to buy a freesat+ box and just connect it to the tv and the sky dish (after cancelling sky) would it work?

Seems like freesat is shaping up to be the best option.
  • Yes, it would work.
  • Yes, sorry, my requirements are a little confusing... Basically I just want to know what my options are and whether at the end of it all I can still afford a new TV :D

Think I'm going to take the freesat route and go from there. Thank you everyone!
  • you dont need to buy a freesat or freeview box to get the 'free channels' on your tv. as long as you have a tv, sky box and sky dish you can get the free channels by cancelling your sky and removing the sky card in the box. if you want to still be able to record then you can pay sky £10.00 a month to keep the recording facility of the sky plus box. so you dont need to spend a penny to get the free channels which leaves more money for you to buy a new tv
    Debt Free Wannabe since Sept 2012!
    £8,106.27 / £10,770.00 - 75.26% paid!! Getting closer!
    Debt Free by Xmas 2013!!
    Thanks to those that post freebies and competitions!
  • you dont need to buy a freesat or freeview box to get the 'free channels' on your tv. as long as you have a tv, sky box and sky dish you can get the free channels by cancelling your sky and removing the sky card in the box. if you want to still be able to record then you can pay sky £10.00 a month to keep the recording facility of the sky plus box. so you dont need to spend a penny to get the free channels which leaves more money for you to buy a new tv

I don't really see the point of paying sky £10 a month indefinitely just to record on the box.

I purchased a Humax Foxsat 500gb returned box, grade A and in as new condition from the Humax direct website for £149 complete with 1 year warranty. They also sell 320gb boxes for £129.
  • I don't really see the point of paying sky £10 a month indefinitely just to record on the box.

I purchased a Humax Foxsat 500gb returned box, grade A and in as new condition from the Humax direct website for £149 complete with 1 year warranty. They also sell 320gb boxes for £129.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking....my foxsat's been going strong for 4 years now...or £480 worth :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals