We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How far 'south' do you need to live to be a southerner?

124»

Comments

  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I'd say Watford Gap as well. Can't get much further sarf that me other than the Isle of Wight!
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

    :j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • amani_2
    amani_2 Posts: 604 Forumite
    ZTD wrote: »
    South of Redcar is the Midlands.
    South of the Wash is the South.




    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: OPPS WRONG ONE
  • amani_2
    amani_2 Posts: 604 Forumite
    ZTD wrote: »
    Has to be. Southerners are so soft they'd freeze to death with proper weather.




    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • amani_2
    amani_2 Posts: 604 Forumite
    amani wrote: »
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:



    SORRY WRONG ONE
  • chocaholic110
    chocaholic110 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    I'm from Durham so consider most people to be "down south". It used to confuse me when I was little and people said Liverpool was in the north as we had to travel a long way south to get there.

    Though these days I imagine England in rough thirds, using Wales as a guide - draw lines from the top and bottom of Wales (where it joins England). Above - northener, below - southerner!
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    RugbyLisa wrote: »
    As someone who was born and bred in Newcastle but moved as a 20 year old to London I'd say - as soon as anyone realises you say bath instead of barrth! RLx

    I'm from Bath, Liza, but then again I am a Southerner, with 'unofficial' Northern roots.:rolleyes:
    Seriously though, I would say that the 'South' starts when they start serving flat beer. :beer:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • lestamunda
    lestamunda Posts: 305 Forumite
    Always taken it as "Watford Gap" - the services!
  • Dukie_Boy
    Dukie_Boy Posts: 145 Forumite
    Anyone South Of Meriden Is A Southerner ???
    Anyone North Of Meriden Is A Northener ???


    Dukie Boy
  • oopalah
    oopalah Posts: 396 Forumite
    I'm from Durham so consider most people to be "down south". It used to confuse me when I was little and people said Liverpool was in the north as we had to travel a long way south to get there.

    I live in Cheshire and it used to confuse me when I was young to hear people talking about taking the train up to London.
    Sealed Pot challenge #59
    SPC5 total £473.60
  • Bunnyinthelights
    Bunnyinthelights Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    If we considered this WEATHER wise, everyone on this small island is a Southern compared to us Canadians. You ALL complain about the winter and they are possitively BALMY compared to what I grew up with!

    However, I live in the Midlands but I consider this part to be the 'North Midlands' lol

    Bunny
    Empty pockets never held anyone back, only empty heads and empty hearts can do that -Peale
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.