PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• SpendingSensible
    Options

Hope everyone has had a fab weekend. We are very happy in this house about the rugby results :j
    Yep we are welsh but they did thoroughly deserve the win & I've never seen so many people around here genuinely happy today :T
    My step-dad is English & the best part of the day was my dd 7 saying 'grandad will be crying in his beer, mum' :rotfl::rotfl:

BE x

We also had a very happy house, it was an amazing win but definitely deserving. Our visitors are not familiar with rugby, but even they got caught up in the game and were cheering alongside us.:T:T:T
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,930 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For dinner we had HM mince pie with roast potatoes, roast parsnip, asparagus, carrot, leek, onion, white cabbage and gravy.

Sundaysdinner_zpsa432d181.jpg?t=1363559607
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/351
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 77
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • Tales17
    Tales17 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all!

Not been around for a while, been super busy and then away staying with family. Trashing the budget again I think as already nearly 3/4 of the way through it but over £100 is an online meat delivery which will arrive later this week and we should be sorted for a couple of months with that!

We have also bought an extra freezer for the garage so we can cook up bigger batches of food at weekends and freeze more so we have lovely homemade meals midweek without much effort!!

Also picked up our Panasonic breadmaker just before we went away so looking forward to starting to use that soon, with some savings there I hope!! :)
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)
  • threepenny_bit
    threepenny_bit Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2013 at 2:23AM
    Options
    $20 spent on milk and medical supplies - gauze and wound dressing melolin, sweets, a packet of biscuits, and some lime cordial
    EF - save $1000 in 2024 $70 saved

Annual Grocery shop $496/3000 - had to increase by $500 in March as groceries were so expensive, this is now $250 per month.
    March February $300 January $196

My Grocery vouchers not included in the annual total - I have $100 costco (Used January)
    Still have $35 Walmart and $25 Save on.

Started a diary to help me stay on track … @Time to slash the shopping budget and use up the store cupboard
  • Tenyearstogo
    Options
    I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer yesterday so sent hubby up to the shop to buy some more. There was no decent meat there so he spent £2 on chicken nuggets.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Trip to Costc0 yesterday saw me spending a whopping £54.86 on groceries (and more besides on a birthday present, some cleaning liquid and a cookery book), which is more than I'd spent in the first 16 days of the month :eek: Grocery spends now at £103.03 from a budget of £211.50.

And I still need to go shopping for veg (apart from potatoes, as I picked up a 5kg bag of those at Costc0) and salad items !!!!

On the upside I have 4kg of minced scotch beef, which I can make into between 30 and 40 servings depending on what I turn it into. I'm going to split it into 400g bags and put it into the freezer, with the possibility of using 1 or 2 to make meals later this month - but with portions of meals going back into the freezer when I do. I also got 1.5kg of grated mozzeralla that I use to turn pitta breads into snack meal pizzas (I have a supply of wholemeal ones in the house already). I have some grated mature cheddar in the freezer needs using up, so I may defrost some of that to mix with some of the mozzerella and then put the rest of the mozzerella into the freezer for another month......

Then I picked up some eggs, vanilla extract and plain chocolate chips for doing some baking (£12.57 I didn't need to spend), some snack bars for when OH and I take my GDs to the Lakes early next month (another £7.69), and some hot cross buns (pure indulgence at £2.69 for 12, but they are nice ;))

Next trip to Costc0 will be 7th April - last day of the offers that started today, and the day before we take GDs away so that we can pick up the last bits we need for that trip.
    Cheryl
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    cw18 can second the niceness of the costco hot x buns...i buy a lot of meat from costco and find it to be very nice quality but not cheap at all

i am off to make a stew in a bit and a quiche all so need to sort out veg for tea...really trying to stay out of the shops this week as some what over spent and want to use what we have in

right need to get a wiggle on have a nice day
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning all,

Spent £20 at the butchers, £4 at fruit n veg stall and £19 in HB. Total spent = £43.

£222/£200 eek!!
  • MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wasn't going to spend anything today as I'd hoped to avoid shopping for any bits until at least tomorrow. But here I am sat in a garage, just about to have my car checked out (ouch) after it was making weird noises over the weekend, better safe than sorry. :)

So I took the opportunity to have a look in the nearby 99p Store and bought two packets of Jaffa Cakes which should have been £2.59 for 99p, plus 60 sandwich bags and a box of Jordan's porridge oats which will work out a lot cheaper than my daughter's usual Ready Brek which she had ran out of. Then I bought 4 pints of skim milk for £1 from Iceland (um never been in there much before, noticed they have six pieces of white fish for £3, must go back, what an exciting life I lead! :))

Cheers all, sausage style shepherds pie for us tonight x
  • MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    By the way, I have started looking at my shopping once it is in my basket/trolley and putting some stuff back before I go through the check out. I buy far too many sugary snacks and these get well pruned before I pay, can't help feeling a bit obsessive doing this but I think I'm glad overall. My car's going to cost £190 just for the parts, so I'm glad I put £3 worth of stuff back today. :)

Hurrah I am now a money saving stalwart, this seems apt as I found a foreign coin on the floor of my car and put it in a parking machine this morning, whoops.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure