PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

March 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've not bought ANY groceries since last Friday, and have dried beans soaking to make a bean casserole for tomorrow to save me having to go and buy any vegetables for tea ;)

Need to put my breadmaker on tomorrow morning though - it was that or lose an NSD today or tomorrow to buy just a loaf of bread so I can have toast on Sunday morning!

I've just popped in to reduce my spend so far this month by £10, as the giftcard I was promised for taking part in a survey arrived (the survey required the purchase of a grocery item to cook and try, so this was to cover the cost - and I managed to make it cover the cost of the entire meal ;)). Really impressed as my participation in the survey didn't finish until 2pm on Tuesday, but that and a cheque arrived this morning (so I've been and banked the cheque as I was close to my building society for my swimming lesson this afternoon). I'd best not tell them I'd have done it just for the giftcard, as that effectively provided what OH and I would call a 'high end' meal for us for free in return for 5 minutes completing a survey and 2 hours participation in a net chat ;)

My spends total will see a huge upwards jump on Sunday (OH and I are off to Costc0 to stock up on things like Minced Scotch Steak before the offers change), but for now I've spent just £48.17 of my £211.50 budget which I think is brilliant going :T
    Cheryl
  • loveasale
    loveasale Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Went to Ald!, spent £47.22 :eek
    But I have got all the Easter Eggs I need. ( bunnies and Cadbury eggs for my boys- and a few spare bags of mini eggs and hollow chicks just in case!) got a whole carrier full for under £8 !
    Still hopefully to come in on target... May not need to do a shop next week ( well not big one, just milk and fresh bits)
    Fingers crossed! :rotfl:
    :money: I will never be rich but I'm happy :rotfl:
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 March 2013 at 8:44PM
    Options
    Coxy11 wrote: »

Nurse said I need more iron in my diet as the test droplet didn't sink very fast. I do have low blood pressure (always have done) so that is a factor. Don't really want to take iron tablets due to the side effects :o What can I eat that I don't already? I do have green veg 6 days out of 7. Can't bear dark chocolate. Any ideas folks?

Coxy

Curry powder, seeds and tofu has lots of iron. But the iron is not as easily absorbed by the body as meat is.

Another tip is to eat vitamin C with the iron, so meat with veg, orange juice with breakfast cereals.

Dont drink tea or coffee with your meal wait half an hour, as the tannin reduces the absorption of iron into your body.

Have a look on vege web sites as iron is something vegetarians struggle to get enough of sometimes.

http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=782
    hth
  • brighteyes1987
    Options
    Evening all,

Had to do my shop today after all as I have to work extra days now this coming week. I wouldn't have had time to go until next Friday if I hadn't one today. Never mind, I should hopefully have 7 NSD in a row now :cool::cool:

£24.61 in mr m
    £2.50 in £stretcher

Will update sig shortly.

Quick dinner of hot dogs, hm wedges & beans as dd had beavers.

Have a lovely evening all.

BE x
    March grocery challenge 147.28 / 150.00 :j

April grocery challenge 60.36 / 150.00
  • lizalloareds
    lizalloareds Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    Options
    Another £1.93 spent today in Mr S:(
    sig updated
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another NSD for us but we have no fruit and are getting very short of loo roll so will have to venture out tomorrow. Will also pick up some cheese and bread and that should do us until next week. We are going to be really pushing it budget wise this month but another small top up next week should see us through to pay day.
    I have meal planned until pay day which has helped but it has felt like a really tough month but I guess that's why it's called a challenge:o

Have a good weekend everyone

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    A NSD at last ... about time!

CW18 you are doing brilliantly, well done :)
    PS how do you trial food, which site is it with? I have just signed up for about 15/20 of Martin's top 20 survey sites. Don't know of any others though like you mentioned.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £106.38 May £?
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spend of €9.99 brought my spend this month to €148.07, so just short of €22 left....need dog food, veggies, toilet rolls and god knows what else so will have to be careful!!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Nicky_Noo_Na
    Options
    Another 99p today - 2 bags of tangerines and 2 bags of carrots, got to love YS bargains and the multibuy offer still came off too, bonus!
  • Tenyearstogo
    Options
    £68 spent today. A bit more than I planned but I bought larger packs than I needed of some things so they'll carry over to future weeks. That will last us until next Friday so I am on track for my monthly target.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport