PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Jellybaby
    Jellybaby Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone, well over spent by about £87 for February but in my defence this included a few nice bottles of wine and some chocs as part of presents for neice and nephews 'big' birthdays.

For March I'm going for £225 MAX.
  • prophecy_grrl
    Options
    Hi I'm aiming for £120 for march[/SIZE] as we've moved into our own place now so need to build up stocks again. No spends so far. Only 2 days in tho!

Have a good month all

p_grrl xxx
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

I have done some shopping already today - items that I couldn't get on my online delivery - this is being delivered between 4.45pm-5.45pm tonight, so can't post any accurate figures just yet, but will do later. Was doing the GC challenge on my own last month - horrendous disaster as was £90 over - admittedly I have included things like a sack of potatoes, offers on washing powder, fabric conditioner, special offers on meats, and lots of other items on offer - none of which we could possibly use within a month - will look at splitting this costs but only if it's obvious that we won't use the item within that gc month, IYSWIM. Have today been to butchers, and then purchased the out of stock bits from other SM. I'm now trying to cook different foods as we seem to be eating the same stuff week in week out - then we blow the budget by buying either a takeaway or extra "nice" food!

Have a great Friday evening, keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Fancynancy77
    Options
    First grocery spend of the week €18.79 in Aldi for bits and pieces. Cut have put half of it back really. I bought baking things when I could have been more imaginative with what I have.
    Very eye opening process.
    Cooking a spaghetti sauce now that I will divide up and freeze for quick suppers with pasta and grated cheese.
    I now have €11.21 left for rest of week in my purse. STRANGE FEELING.
    I need nothing except bananas which I'll get Sunday. But just feel a bit miserable. I guess this is me breaking my addiction and it feels hard.:(
    MFW Target Jan 2016 Sub €100k
    Mortgage June 2015 [STRIKE]€130,655[/STRIKE] July 15 €110,969
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya all,

First grocery spend of March totals £52.87. Spent at Morries and Helldee.

Shouldn't need any more groceries for about a week. Here's hoping!

Welcome to any GC newbies and well done everyone who took part in the February challenge :clap:
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • lizziebabe
    lizziebabe Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

I can't believe we are into March already :eek:

Anyway please put me down for £ 100 again this month. I did come in slightly under in February, but need to try harder this month. I need to take lots more lunches into work as I do tend to buy out. I don't like eating at my desk but can eat in the cafeteria which is then tempting. When the weather is better I can sit and eat outside, but it has been too cold.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to read all the posts but all the best to you all. :money:
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 March 2013 at 8:29PM
    Options
    First off, want to give a big hug to everyone who is finding the process hard - you can do it this month! I know it can seem miserable to put half the food in your trolley - but how much more freeing to have twice the money at the end to spend on what matters to you!

First spend of the month at Mr M on the way home:

Milk 2 pint 89p - I was shocked that we were nearly out this morning - we seem to be using loads lately! That's 8 pints I've bought this week for just the two of us :eek: should have bought 4 pints now I think about it but didn't occur to me :o

YS potatoes (770g) 50p - had them in delivery due Sunday so amended the order to take them out

Limes x2 60p
    Mascarpone x3 £4.50 - me and OH have been invited out to dinner tonight at a friend's, which is great, so I said I'd make a lime cheesecake for dessert as I had loads of digestives to use up!
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Aww, Bluegreen - you're wonderful, you know :) You brought a smile to my face just now. Thank you. :)

Today has been, thankfully, an NSD. First of many in March, I hope! I've started giving Mr KB a bit of a choice some nights with regards to what we have as a main meal (he normally picks what I've put on the meal plan though, to be fair) and it encourages me to be a bit creative with what I cook.

Tomorrow will see me writing up the weekly meal plan and from that (and the storecupboards) the shopping list. Tonight though, we had toad in the hole with beans. That gives me some beans left over and 2 sausages. Now, I can either turn them into a Full English type thing for Mr KB's lunch tomorrow or have beans on toast Sunday and Sausage Sandwiches Saturday. I'll let Mr KB decide - I don't mind either way. :) Tomorrow night's meal is a steak and ale pie. There's one bottle of beer left in the fridge from Christmas which is going to slow cook a pack of stewing steak I have. That'll do us for 2 days of main meals. :) Mr KB may even splash out on chippy chips as a treat!

Have a lovely evening, everyone. ((hugs)) to those in need.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry for long quote, every time i try and crop them i mess it up :rotfl:

My overspending used to be on toiletries. Used to be a sucker for the BOGOFS on Timotei, i cut it right down and have only bought one bottle of shampoo in the last six months and one large conditioner. Now my problem is groceries. Non perishables are in the spare room upstairs as an overflow, three bags full of mainly cereal, sparkling water, pasta and treats. The method in my madness is that when is branded cereal ever a £1 or just over for a big box? The same with most other things that have been unusually cheap. I'm slowly ploughing through it though, even though there are cereal offers on next week's shop :embarasse!
    Trouble is i work in a supermarket... just come home with another bottle of moisturiser reduced from £1.15 to 57p :rotfl:I am saving money thats the trouble, and im coming out with 3 or 4 times more shopping, toiletires and groceries than before i looked for reduced things. So i think my plan should be to cut my budget from£15 per week to £10
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Aw KB, you made me blush!

Mr KB sounds lovely by the way, my OH never wants what's on the meal plan. Lucky he's such a sweetheart in other ways to make up for it! :rotfl:
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure