PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 February 2013 at 10:19PM
    Options
    As promised the SW recipe for coq au vin:)

Serves 4 2.5 syncs on EE and original, 8.5 on green

Low cal spray
    4 chicken breasts
    6 shallots peeled and halved
    6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
    198ml/7fl oz red wine
    397ml/14fl oz chicken stock
    1/2 tsp artificial sweetener
    1 tblsp dried thyme
    Salt and pepper
    2 level tsp of gravy granules
    140g/5oz sliced mushrooms
    4 carrots peeled and chopped
    2 celery sticks sliced
    Parsley to garnish

Brown the chicken breasts in the spray oil. Add the shallots and garlic and fry until soft then add wine, stock, sweetener, thyme and season well. Bring to the boil, add gravy granules then simmer for 20-25 mins.

Add the mushrooms, carrots and celery and cook for another ten mins or until the veg is cooked. Scatter with parsley and serve.

I have been to aldee and mr s tonight for the weekly shop. Did well, used the £5 off voucher and another for 50p off and spent approx £63 including 2 bottles of wine, £5 on steak for DH and a 12 pack of organic snacks for DS to put away for our hold in April. Will double check and update the total tomorrow. I will need to shop again in the week as I will need more fruit and salad.

I received some vouchers for £13 off £90 spend in Mr T and then a load of £9 off £90. I wish they would send me smaller spends but I only tend to buy big things at mr t like Christmas shopping (a kindle for stepdad this year) and a new vacuum last week. There is a dress I have seen I like for work, I need some new work shoes and DS is growing out of all his trousers at an alarming rate so the first one may get used.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Please can I be put down for £280 same as last month please.

Doing well with my 0cad0 home delivery and top up from Lid1.

Really impressed with 0cado, I had an email from them tonight with a voucher for £21 off my next shopping. Something to do with a new distribution centre opening and other customers being offered 3 months free delivery. Most impressed as I only pay £6.99 per month delivery anyway and plan my shopping around their bargains.
    This weeks shopping will cost me £24. Whoop Whoop.
  • Guineapigsqueaks
    Guineapigsqueaks Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 February 2013 at 10:33PM
    Options
    Small spend on pocket tissues, anti-bac wipes and washing up sponges in Home B*rgains £2.14, bargain mascara in Poundl*nd (£1!) and chemical free deodorant for DD £2.99 in B*ots. All needed to keep stock levels as I'm happy with. Total £6.13. Updated total on signature.

Got my newspaper Ald* £5 voucher today ready for next week's shop. Use some of products on bonus 30% or 50% vouchers too, Baby Bath and Wipes and Anti-ageing serum (!) so will use those.

Will need to go to Mr T, Mr S or Mr M soon to get some bits I can't get at Ald* or bits from their value ranges that are cheaper than Ald*, like boxed tissues and bio washing liquid, plus any good deals.

Feel focused on the challenge at this point :) x

Keep Smiling :)
  • lucylollipop
    Options
    Woohoo, 1st NSD of this month done! It's always nice to get the first one out of the way, the rest seem to come easier then. I'm hoping to get through the weekend without any spends too :)
    *2016 - the year of the savings account!*

GC: Jan (£300/£179.76) 8 NSD
    Diet: 60lbs this year - so far: 0.5
  • kobrakai
    Options
    £200 again for me for March - determined to keep it under £200 this month!
    £2 Savers Club 2014 #38 | 20p Savers Club 2014 #37 | 50p Savers Club 2014 #29
    £365 in 365 days #89 £9/£365 | DFBX2014 challenge #023 £70/£6500
    Weekly Saving Challenge 2014 #30 £6/£1378
    Save 12k in 2014 #159 £80.62/£2000
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    As promised the SW recipe for coq au vin:)

Serves 4 2.5 syncs on EE and original, 8.5 on green

Low cal spray
    4 chicken breasts
    6 shallots peeled and halved
    6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
    198ml/7fl oz red wine
    397ml/14fl oz chicken stock
    1/2 tsp artificial sweetener
    1 tblsp dried thyme
    Salt and pepper
    2 level tsp of gravy granules
    140g/5oz sliced mushrooms
    4 carrots peeled and chopped
    2 celery sticks sliced
    Parsley to garnish

Brown the chicken breasts in the spray oil. Add the shallots and garlic and fry until soft then add wine, stock, sweetener, thyme and season well. Bring to the boil, add gravy granules then simmer for 20-25 mins.

Add the mushrooms, carrots and celery and cook for another ten mins or until the veg is cooked. Scatter with parsley and serve.

I have been to aldee and mr s tonight for the weekly shop. Did well, used the £5 off voucher and another for 50p off and spent approx £63 including 2 bottles of wine, £5 on steak for DH and a 12 pack of organic snacks for DS to put away for our hold in April. Will double check and update the total tomorrow. I will need to shop again in the week as I will need more fruit and salad.

I received some vouchers for £13 off £90 spend in Mr T and then a load of £9 off £90. I wish they would send me smaller spends but I only tend to buy big things at mr t like Christmas shopping (a kindle for stepdad this year) and a new vacuum last week. There is a dress I have seen I like for work, I need some new work shoes and DS is growing out of all his trousers at an alarming rate so the first one may get used.

Much appreciated ;)
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • minicooper272
    Options
    February was quite successful - I had £4.50 left over from my £80 budget, and I haven't even run down all my immense stock of food! £4.50 has been put to one side in case I need it this month, but if I find myself with spare money again, I will start feeding it into savings.

March is going to be a little more difficult, I have a guest down for one weekend, and I'll be away for two weekends. I'm definitely going to run with a separate purse again though - it was so much easier than adding up all the receipts.

Signing up for another £80 this month again please!
  • Bluegreen143
    Options
    sheeppappar, your SW Crustless Quiche recipe has been added to the index :)
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Bluegreen143
    Options
    XSpender, your SW coq au Vin recipe has been added to the index.

Sounds delicious btw, think I will try it but as I'm not on SW, try it with sugar rather than sweetener etc.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Bluegreen143
    Options
    That's me done with February!

For whoever was asking about what our budget covers, mine is breakfast everyday for 2 adults (usually cereal but sometimes bacon rolls for OH or milkshakes for me at the w/e); packed lunches for both of us during the week (HM soup with HM bread for me, sandwiches and crisps for OH) and sometimes lunch at the weekend; dinners at home usually 7 nights except for the odd night we're out for dinner; snacks are fruit for me, crisps and value biscuits for OH, plus the odd bit of home baking, sometimes he likes hummous, tinned fruit or olives. Also toiletries, cleaning stuff/household stuff and food and litter for our spoilt cat!

Have done next week's meal plan:
    • Meat lasagne with garlic bread prefer veggie lasagne but OH is making it so can't complain, have garlic bread already
    • Roast chicken legs with stuffing, veg, roasties and gravy chicken legs from freezer, veg in already
    • Burger for OH, fishcakes for me, with salad and chips all in freezer, meant to have this week but got invited out for dinner tomorrow
    • HM pitta breads with HM hummous, couscous, salad and roasted veg
    • Roasted vegetable arrabiata with salad OH making this as it's his speciality - have most ingredients in
    • Black-eyed bean curry, stir-fried spicy cabbage and rice
    • Veg and cheese pasties with beans a new recipe

Hopefully have a couple of NSDs until Mr A delivery on Sunday as going to a friend's for dinner tomorrow and getting taken out for dinner on Saturday!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure