lets get back to basics... starting with the butcher

Options

Comments

• Neilandrewhall
    Options
    Like my local butchers has shut down, or one of two of them, found out why they got a Food Hygiene Rating of 0!
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 February 2013 at 12:19AM
    Options
    I do feel lucky to live in a semi rural area so there are a number of farm shops and plenty of local producers around.

I shop here for my meat http://www.ashleafarmshop.co.uk/.

They started in a little portacabin affair on the farm yard and now have a shop-build on the farmyard, I think a couple of store buildings were replaced. The meat is delicious far nicer tasting than even the best ranges in the big stores.

TBH never looked at the website much, but the prices are cheaper in the store, plus they sell alot of game as well-rabbits, pheasants, pigeon all shot on their own land. Plus our famous local "goosnargh" ducks.

They also sell products from other local farms including pies and puddings. Basically the meat is delivered from them and they buy back the pies. OH was a hollands fan, but these beat H hands down.

We also have a local farm shop, again family run that sells local cheeses, veggies and fruit (obviously some fruit isn't grown here lol but all is clearly labelled with country of origin and we get alot of british apples you just don't see in the big stores). But we are semi rural here and I do feel bad that many people, especially those in inner city area don't get the choice and quality we get.

Sadly that lack of choice has been caused directly by supermarket competition wiping out those local stores.

We are on the edge of a small town and only got a Mr T about 15 years ago and a Mr A last year with Mr M and Mr A being about 6 years old. Luckily there is quite a sense of community and loyalty to older firms here and I reckon the fact alot are family run helps so the local stores haven't been pushed out.

I am sure alot of people who basically are relying on the big stores as their only option for most foods are feeling utterly betrayed and have no idea where to turn.

Good luck to ev1 I really hope this marks a turning point and people start to see how little the big stores care about customers beyond extracting as much cash out of them as possible.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Also check the butcher's food hygiene rating. One local butcher that is supposed to be popular in my area only has a rating of 3 which I don't consider to be good enough. Yuk.
  • Loren470
    Options
    mummiaaa!!! After reading the discussions i am getting more hunger.. Please get me to any treat..I am too hungry..:):)
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always buy from my local butcher, once you set up a relationship, I think some butchers will help the customer. For example when I want bail for crabbing, or bones for dog, I never pay anything.

Also if he's trying a new meal ball, home made burger (or similar) recipe he will give me one to take home and try.

I found if I buy lets say chicken fillets from the supermarket, they shrink so much in cooking, that in fact they are a false economy. For a meal for two, we'd need two fillets from the supermarket, and could easily eat one between us from the butcher as it's the same size when it's cooked as when it went into the oven.

I just wish there were more greengrocers in my area.:beer:
    :j
  • gin
    gin Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »

There's a stall in Cardiff market that sells *everything* from pigs heads to chicken claws! I've never bought anything from them, but it's really interesting having a browse!

That's JT Morgans I think. Right at the end? I would recommend them - a friend gets all his meat from them as his friend used to be a butcher with them. I have bought meat from them (I'm a veggie so dont often), but not a pig's head or chicken claw!!!
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's the one!
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    I don't agree at all, I think you are years out of date. The male is the main cook in both my parents' and sibling's households and shared in my best friend's household, I suspect her husband would do more if he wasn't so incredibly busy with work. My aunt, I and several friends of both genders cook for ourselves but we are all single so have Hobson's Choice. :p I have had LTRs where the other party was the main cook (a foodie, heavily influenced by his best friend and BF's father!), shared (a chef) and where I was (manual labourer).

As far as specific instruction my mother was taught the basics by my grandmother her father could not so much as boil an egg, my father and aunt are totally self taught which is surprising given their SAHM ran a very traditional household. Both my sibling and I are largely self taught. Many households don't cook at all these days, most top chefs seem to be male. Daughters are often daddy's girls and/ or at loggerheads with their mother from the tweens.

There are always exceptions to every rule but you'd have to admit that tradition gives the mother the role of teaching the female children and where I come from that is largely the case.
  • lindseykim13
    Options
    Ox cheeks = stew

Pig's cheeks = with lentils or slow cooked with apples and onions in cider

Feather steak - marinade in lemon or lime juice for 10 minutes or so then do like ordinary steak or use in an up-market casserole

There is also another steak cut - flat iron steak or butlers steak which is as good as rump

Ox tail - not tried this yet but Waitrose sell it - thinking soup here or cheap casserole - it is on my list.

Silverside - braised and cut into thick slices with the veg you use as a rack and the gravy it produces - yummmyyyyyy

Skirt (beef) for stew

Pork belly is also good but can be fatty (obviously)

Pork ribs can be cooked up as a stew ingredient (slow cooked) and then before serving can slip out the rib bone.

All sold by Waitrose but should also be sold by a butcher

Lambs hearts are sold by Our branch of Morrisons - get 2 to a pack - not stuffed.

Fab thanks for that, i only discovered lamb hearts last year and they are so good!
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GlynD wrote: »
    There are always exceptions to every rule but you'd have to admit that tradition gives the mother the role of teaching the female children and where I come from that is largely the case.

It was tradition to send kids up chimneys as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure