Contactless Cards

Options

Comments

• dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options

PS is dalesrider a banker?

Yes. I work in banking, in a area that deals with the fallout around what you are so worried about.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    Barclays Bank & I've never come across them before.. first contact!

The first contactless cards in the UK were issued by Barclaycard in 2008...
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Hominu
    Hominu Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    If you think someone is going to read your contactless card whilst its in your pocket then wrap it in tin foil, or just carry two of them next to each other.

If your worried about some thief using it after you lost it then its unlikely. Why spend £20 when its easier to spend far more.

I've carried a contactless card for over 2 years now and never had a fraudulent contactless transaction (or any contactless transaction to be honest, just shoving the card in the machine and entering my pin seems easier than untrained staff arguing with you)
  • Jack_Griffin
    Options
    dalesrider wrote: »
    The first contactless cards in the UK were issued by Barclaycard in 2008...

They did not issue one to me when I opened an a/c with them in 2011, but they did this time.

PS Generally I have lowish blood pressure.. I never get wound up about stuff like this, but I am prepared to stand up for myself & make it clear what I do & don't want.. if only more people complained.....
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options
    They did not issue one to me when I opened an a/c with them in 2011, but they did this time.

PS Generally I have lowish blood pressure.. I never get wound up about stuff like this, but I am prepared to stand up for myself & make it clear what I do & don't want.. if only more people complained.....

Think you'll find many of us have moved with the times and going on statistics the chances of someone scamming your Contactless card is about the same odds as remote control talking dolls being installed in your local kebab shop.
  • dtaylor84
    dtaylor84 Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 February 2013 at 10:09PM
    Options
    I also know RFID is v. close range, that doesn't offer a guarantee against an inventive criminal with superior technology.

The laws of physics are a pretty good guarantee against "superior technology".
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had my Barclay's contactless card for over a year now and not had any issues, I also know of at least 2 others with 1 and again not had any issues.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    I don't really understand why people care. If someone steals it and fraudulently uses it. Its the banks problem.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have one but toi be honest i forget that i do. and in certain places like fast food i try to pay cash, if i dont have enough i auto go to chip & pin card. maybe it needs to be advertised more.

i dont see starbucks pushing it! mind u they accept all kinds of payments there... phone scans, key fobs, starbucks cards... everything!
  • gusgorman
    Options
    Hominu wrote: »
    I've carried a contactless card for over 2 years now and never had a fraudulent contactless transaction (or any contactless transaction to be honest, just shoving the card in the machine and entering my pin seems easier than untrained staff arguing with you)

That is because contactless technology is new. Contactless fraud will grow over the next few years as the technology becomes more common. I have spoken to a friend who works in security and the experts in his industry are fully expecting this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure