We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Blow for 60,000 F&C child trust fund holders

Options
"Parents are up in arms after a child trust fund manager announced it's going to introduce an annual fee..."
Read the full story:

Blow for 60,000 F&C child trust fund holders

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,753 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSE - please note it isn't just CTF holders, it is also their Childrens Investment plans and Private Investor plans.

In some cases the charges are increasing from 0.2% to 15% for lump sum investments in addition to the annual charge.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • claret_mike
    Options
    I have done quite well out of their investments - got a statement and it was worth £340something and my child is nearly 3 - hence a £90+ return over 3 years. Beats any deposit account.

However, it seems as though this is going to undo the good work so will be looking to move and would be interested in hearing/reading about anyone else who is looking into alternatives to move it into..
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 117,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Such is a consequence of moving to explicit charging under RDR/platform review.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    MSE - please note it isn't just CTF holders, it is also their Private Investor plans.

In some cases the charges are increasing from 0.2% to 15% for lump sum investments in addition to the annual charge.

Demand for the product has probably been superceded by ISA's for regular saving.

This is a way of encouraging people to switch.
  • jimjames
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Such is a consequence of moving to explicit charging under RDR/platform review.

I know it's a crystal ball kind of question but would you expect all investment trust scheme providers to move in this direction as a result of RDR?
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't forget the option that F&C are keeping quiet about (and MSE missed in the article) to switch for free to the Stakeholder version of F&C's CTF which does not carry the annual fee. The only downside is your sole investment choice is a FTSE All Share Tracker.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I know it's a crystal ball kind of question but would you expect all investment trust scheme providers to move in this direction as a result of RDR?

I would as that is the whole point of RDR. Now all types of investment must be charged in exactly the same way whereas before some were being subsidised from the commission paid by providers on managed unit trusts.
  • jimjames
    Options
    Reaper wrote: »
    Don't forget the option that F&C are keeping quiet about (and MSE missed in the article) to switch for free to the Stakeholder version of F&C's CTF which does not carry the annual fee. The only downside is your sole investment choice is a FTSE All Share Tracker.

Except that it isn't just CTF that this affects as per post #2. We can move elsewhere but if all providers do the same thing then we will have to think again about options. Saving £25 per month is not effective when the charge is £30 per year.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 117,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

For new business yes. For existing business I suspect you will see some force a move and others leave legacy business as it is.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is a classic course work for the compulsory financial education course they want to teach young children.

Q1. Compare the performance of a child trust fund to a piggy bank over a a ten year term. The charge is 10% of fund value each year.

Q2. Assuming inflation is 2% per year, what is the value of each option in today's money?

Q3. Should you shoot the adviser who tells you to invest in either? Discuss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure