🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Takeaways

Options
Hi all!

This is something that has been bugging me for a bit - really could do with developing a strategy to cope. The long and short of it is this: I have debt problems, whereas my OH doesn't have any debt apart from a mortgage. His idea of relaxing is going to the pub/eating out/ getting a takeaway. I try to be all DFW about it. :A

For example, when we order pizza, I'll often make some excuse to go and pick it up as it's £8.99 (collection only deal). The OH often says, 'oh, just have it delivered', but then its a whopping £14.99 for the same pizza! If we have chinese or indian, I'll usually cook the rice in our steamer. It's usually ready by the time the main takeaway turns up. Anyway, I was beginning to feel a little bit bad about it all, so last night we had a full takeaway including rice at £4 for 2 small portions! Arrghhh! What a waste of £4!

Am I being really uptight about trying to cut back spending wherever I can?
BCSC Member 70:j

Comments

• saffronflowers
    Options
    No - you are not, but however, I would save the difference in a pot for a month or week and show your OH want a difference these little savings make. When I started saving 10p and 20p OH thought I was mad but when I had £30 within a few weeks, he thought it was an ace idea. Then get him to spend the savings on you at a fabbo resteraunt but dont take your own veg and tatties!!!

Sfx
  • Shineyhappy
    Shineyhappy Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could you perhaps point out to your OH how bad takeaways are in terms of your health?

When I pointed out to my OH how many calories the average curry/ takeaway pizza/etc had, he was actually quite shocked so I suggested we make fancy curries and freeze them in portions of 2. We keep packets of naan breads and mango chutney in stock for when we get the takeaway urge as it doesnt take long to put it all together and is much healthier and cheaper.

Or Asda do a great takeaway curry quite cheaply and that can also be frozen.

It is nice to treat yourself to a lovely meal when you dont have to cook, but I figure the effort involved in re heating a curry or sticking a pizza/garlic bread/wedges in the oven is not worth paying for!
    Debt Free - done
    Mortgage Free - done
    Building up the pension pot
  • NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No - you are not, but however, I would save the difference in a pot for a month or week and show your OH want a difference these little savings make. When I started saving 10p and 20p OH thought I was mad but when I had £30 within a few weeks, he thought it was an ace idea. Then get him to spend the savings on you at a fabbo resteraunt but dont take your own veg and tatties!!!

Sfx

He thinks I'm crazy. he actually snickered when I went to cook the rice as usual, hence why i ordered it instead. :mad: Talk about peer pressure!
  • NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you perhaps point out to your OH how bad takeaways are in terms of your health?

When I pointed out to my OH how many calories the average curry/ takeaway pizza/etc had, he was actually quite shocked so I suggested we make fancy curries and freeze them in portions of 2. We keep packets of naan breads and mango chutney in stock for when we get the takeaway urge as it doesnt take long to put it all together and is much healthier and cheaper.

Or Asda do a great takeaway curry quite cheaply and that can also be frozen.

It is nice to treat yourself to a lovely meal when you dont have to cook, but I figure the effort involved in re heating a curry or sticking a pizza/garlic bread/wedges in the oven is not worth paying for!

We've tried getting those curry packs you can buy in the supermarket, but my OH says they taste nothing like the real thing. I do think Asda's are quite nice, but my OH (who earns 50k a year) is far too snobby to go into Asda. It was really hard for me to get him to shop at Tesco instead of waitrose, which is a lovely store but everything is v. expensive.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    this was a big major problem for us as well only we didnt have the get it delivered problem it was a takeawy five /six times a week problem (no joke) and i'm not even much of a fan of them.... but i found a place that taught chinese cookery (my hubbys main weakness)so i signed hubby and myself up for it(i chronicled it in my diary (not that i'm trying to get you to readi it))i moaned all the way through but now that we are out the other side it has saved us a fortune and tastes much nicer and is far more healthy than the takeaway ...the only problem now is hubby cookes chinese every night(sometimes i just want a nice meat and two veg dinner is that too much to ask) but hey were saving a fortune now... i'm booking us on the indian course next though ...gott have some sort of a change...
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brilliant idea of Elantan's! You might check out the old style board as well, for more good ideas. You can cook much nicer and healthier food than takeaways, and it needn't take ages, and saves a fortune. We only have takeaways when there is a power cut (like last night):mad: and they are always disappointing. Now a meal in a nice restaurant is another thing.....and you don't need to 'avoid' many takeaways to save up enough to do this instead once in a while!
  • sammy115
    sammy115 Posts: 15,267 Forumite
    Options
    My husband said I was obsessed with money at one point. I told him to read 'the millionaire next door'.

Synopsis
    Reveals that the accumulation of wealth in the United States is most often done through hard work, diligent savings, and living a frugal lifestyle.
    Quality is doing something right when no one is looking - Henry Ford
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When we get a takeaway there's always way too much in it. So half gets frozen (if I can dissaude him from curry for breakfast!) and the next weekend is free. Would that work?
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NekoZombie wrote: »
    He thinks I'm crazy. he actually snickered when I went to cook the rice as usual, hence why i ordered it instead. :mad: Talk about peer pressure!

id say this is the problem- right here.

Theres nothing inherently wrong with wanting a takeout or having a meal once in a while, but the issue I find here is that you dont have t money for it. Does he understand why you dont want to spend your money on this frivaolity? you have to be straight with him, if it makes you feel bad, it shouldnt be happening. Him laughing at your efforts to get DF is undermining IMHO, does he know how you feel when he does things like this? if so does he care?

We used to have a takeaway once a month when I was getting DF, but then we had a disappointing couple and we barely bother now. personally, we could have cooked a curry & washed up in the it takes to consider what were having dialling it, then them delivering it.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • lswwong
    lswwong Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    Please don't mind me being forthright .....

If the OP has debt problems and her OH insists on spending "frills" money ....

He should treat her to the stuff and not expect her to contribute any money towards it :)

I have seen the inside of a Chinese takeaway kitchen before and believe me, I would always make my own rice!

OP deserves applaud for conserving cash - £4 will get you a kilo bag of rice and a steamer requires very little effort to use for steaming the rice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport