First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    250673_4725941700128_392840158_n.jpg
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was thinking that gailey about mince/frozen mince

I havent used frozen mince for years, and then i think it was only once or twice as it was carp...

This could even be the tip of the iceburg..

It could have happened small scale into one supplier, and over the years, as it hasnt been checked its just got bigger and bigger...

Could it have all started when there was the bse or foot and mouth in this country, and our beef/meat was banned from going abroad, so then food companies had to source new suppliers and short notice???? ideal time for a dodgy meat supplier to supply the demand and make a few bob;)

Now that Findus are talking about sueing their supplier, I think companies will now start sqeeling to pass the buck.

Suprised te$co and other supermarkets havent mentioned they are going to sue ???

Well least findus are sueing.

why are tesco not sueing silvercrest- a company that belongs to abp as they lost trust yet happy to get fresh meat from other abp companies surly they all the same.

It the lack legal action on their part makes me think somethings not right.

Abp irish yes but owns polish factory in poland yet our supermarket specification was irish bristish only. so moved polush meat ireland repackage and label as irish?

Comgel french company supplies findus well suspects romania.

Comigel claims it sourced its meat from Romania, which has been subjected to export restrictions due to the prevalence of the viral disease equine infectious anaemia in the country. Spanghero, the French company that supplied the meat for the Findus beef lasagne, announced it will also sue its Romanian suppliers.

The news few days ago never heard of them.

freeza foods.

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/topics/food-safety/horse-meat-fsa-reassures-on-freeza-after-mary-creagh-writes-to-paterson/236297.article

basically a meat trader called mcadam irish approached freeze food to buy meat weirdly they declined buy as good will offered to store it for them.I mean why? money i guess. Anyway seprate warehouse in Northerm ireland. When checked it contained 80%horse. freezas own meat negative horse but repuation of their company damaged.

love this quote so why store it then if consider it dogy why not alert authorities?

A spokesman for Freeza Meats' owners told us they had refused to buy the meat because they were suspicious of its state and the accuracy of its labelling with Polish healthmarks, and were merely holding it in store as a "goodwill" gesture for the company that had sent it to them, McAdam Foods.

Norther ireland uk so goverened by our fsa.

The irish have called in the police.
    The uk has not? why?

All these suppliers to consumer are not well know names yet they supply majority of uk retailers and uk food chain.

I have never brought frozen mince I buy fresh and freeze.
    I doubt if freh is safe now and horrified how much collagen is in it and not 100%beef that paid premium for.

The current fsa man is leaving to work for tesco.

I fail to see what our fsa/defra is actually doing.

Guardian ever cheerful-more to come

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/feb/08/horsemeat-scandal-more-to-come

could be world wide scam-blaming eastern european.italian !!!!!!s.

The deception scale is huge .

i do hope they now testing fresh not just frozen.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    we are extremely lucky as we got our own pigs, chickens and turkeys, so we can rear most of our meat... could buy half a lamb from local farmer etc, and buy beef from local butcher...

Hope this has a positive effect on british farmers/producers
    Work to live= not live to work
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cool triker chick were you not the original poster of walking away from supermarkets on old style before food and groceries even existed?
    you sound very lucky we have local suppliers just need to find them and get there until the im eating less meat will order local veg box from local dairy this week.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    gailey wrote: »
    The news few days ago never heard of them.

You've probably never heard of most of the companies that actually manufacture food.

....I fail to see what our fsa/defra is actually doing.

Holding a summit with the "major retailers and food distributers" and agreeing on a testing programme. Presumably to make up for the fact that the FSA stopped DNA testing back in 2003 for some reason or another.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Cool triker chick were you not the original poster of walking away from supermarkets on old style before food and groceries even existed?
    you sound very lucky we have local suppliers just need to find them and get there until the im eating less meat will order local veg box from local dairy this week.

yep a few years back started a month without using a supermarket..lasted alot longer than a month:rotfl:, but I do use them now:cool:, mainly because my business took off, and, well no excuse but conveinent:cool:

Now we go to certain supermarkets everynight for certain things..

Our local baker has stopped making bread, as he was either sold out, or had loads left, so now he just does filled rolls, cakes etc ( local comp school around the corner, so prob makes his money dinner time)
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    You took the words from my fingers Cool. Have read quite a few of Edwardia's replies and methinks she may be a little misled.

Earlier in the thread, I posted up names and websites of farms and bakeries which supply me with food. In most cases it's their name on the packaging, just like a brand.

For many people (the majority of Brits don't grow and rear own food) they can only trace it back to the supermarket and there's no certification on it whatsoever. They are relying on the food they buy being what the supermarket says it is.

Last year we bought pork loin steaks from Tesco, not value range, thinking they would be 100% pork. just plain stuff, no fancy ready for the BBQ coating. Not only was it not 100% pork (89%), it had three additives.

I don't have the land, the time or indeed, inclination to grow and rear our food. Even if I did, is there much stopping a dodgy abattoir from taking my prime cattle and sheep and giving me back a pile of chops and stuff from other animals of same/different species or previously frozen stuff ?

I'm doing the best I can in a town without farmer's market, organic butcher, bakery etc to source organic food via reputable companies and I would suggest that actually, it's more than the majority of people in the UK do.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    Earlier in the thread, I posted up names and websites of farms and bakeries which supply me with food. In most cases it's their name on the packaging, just like a brand.

For many people (the majority of Brits don't grow and rear own food) they can only trace it back to the supermarket and there's no certification on it whatsoever. They are relying on the food they buy being what the supermarket says it is.

Last year we bought pork loin steaks from Tesco, not value range, thinking they would be 100% pork. just plain stuff, no fancy ready for the BBQ coating. Not only was it not 100% pork (89%), it had three additives.

I don't have the land, the time or indeed, inclination to grow and rear our food. Even if I did, is there much stopping a dodgy abattoir from taking my prime cattle and sheep and giving me back a pile of chops and stuff from other animals of same/different species or previously frozen stuff ?

I'm doing the best I can in a town without farmer's market, organic butcher, bakery etc to source organic food via reputable companies and I would suggest that actually, it's more than the majority of people in the UK do.

If you were rearing your own animals , there is no way you would use a big commerical abattoir, as they would not be interested in slaughtering/butchering one animal etc, you owuld use a small local one... your animals are tagged, or even tattooed, Yes there are abbottoirs that are dodgy etc, BUT this is where you do your homework, and ask other breeders/rearer's for their feedback.. you can also slaughter your own animals on your land, as long as its for personal use only...

Edwina I still think you are blinkered to these so call certificates, organic status etc.. as these items are a primium prices they are open to some dodgy dealings too;)
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    .. you can also slaughter your own animals on your land, as long as its for personal use only...

The ultimate in money saving ideas.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 February 2013 at 3:24PM
    Options
    ... Yes there are abbottoirs that are dodgy etc...

I'm no expert, but surely the carcasses of different species are obviously different at this stage of the process? Certifying a horse carcass as beef is surely not going to fool anyone in the industry?
    you can also slaughter your own animals on your land, as long as its for personal use only...

Not sure my goldfish is worth the bother.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure