Supermarkets pull items off shelves over meat fears

Options

Comments

• zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »
    But they can only test for contaminants they are looking for. So if they know its horse they test for it. Will they test for dog?

We are told this is a "criminal conspiracy" from eastern europe.
    Surely it would be more profitable for these people to get rid of any problems this way rather than into concrete motorway supports.
    Will they also test for this?
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    You can call it complacent, not sure you understand the full meaning of that word or are applying it correctly to all. You don't like communal healthy eating regs/ health professionals caring about what 'we' eat because it's nanny state but now you want communal outrage from the layman? I don't honestly see the logic. Communal interest in/ responsibility for nutrition and dietetics or not?

Please don't attempt to lecture me on my understanding of the English language. I'm quite aware what 'complacent' means. - much as as I understand the definition of 'insufferable'.

There is a world of difference between education and information on the one hand and bullying control-freakery from self-proclaimed 'experts'. on the other.

It is clear we will never agree where how far the latter should be able to run other people's lives for them.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    Actually I feel that some of the MSErs posting with a horsemeat so what attitude just want to cause a stir.

Others don't feel they have an alternative perhaps because of budget and/or time issues and are in denial.

I would not suggest there is not impish mischievousness (wouldn't call it full-fledged trolling) but certainly deny the 'there is no alternative' defence. Poor people can not afford to buy these processed foods. No poor person is buying ready-made lasagne. Any person who is genuinely poor will be buying meat and potatoes separately. An under class may not care what they shovel in off their tv trays but that is a choice and has nothing to do with education - it is only volition that is lacking.
  • raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    got stopped in metro store yesterday by an ipsos/mori man asking pertinent questions about my shopping experience, Mr T are carping it.
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    The bit which is puzzling me is that T**co share price hasn't dropped through the floor since this all came out, in fact it seems to have gone up. Every time another bank misselling scandal crops up the share prices have a wobbly but doesn't seem to translate here.

Maybe the stock market is so corrupt it sees this as a good thing that T**co and others have squeezed the suppliers so hard this is the end result. Who knows????? I certainly can't fathom it.

Why on earth would the share price go down? Surely it should be going up - wonderful opportunity for massive price increases (more stringent but costly checks blah blah higher quality blah blah).
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    raphanius wrote: »
    got stopped in metro store yesterday by an ipsos/mori man asking pertinent questions about my shopping experience, Mr T are carping it.

I've heard Tesco are going to conduct polls about the horse meat issue and they will be conducted by "Gallup". :D

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    Just partially heard BBC newsflash as passing thru kitchen and it seems that UK abattoirs have been passing off horse as beef too. :eek: BBC hoping to interview FSA soon.
  • shinkyshonky
    Options
    this does make me laugh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwe8zAPb4V8
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” Socrates

Haters gonna hate
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    The panto horse in Tesco Loughborough is weeks old news now..but when it lays down on the floor in front of the security guard that is funny..
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just heard 500 gram fresh beef bolognese sauce removed from all Asda stores because it contains horse,the snowball is gathering speed who knows where all this will end ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure