Is it worse if a company applies for you to go Bankrupt?

Options
Hi,

I have been trying to get some advice re my brother and his outstanding debts and have many helpful replies so hoped you could all help me with this also.

My brother has an IVA if he was to not make the payments on this I am led to believe that the company my file for him to be made bankrupt. If this happened is this any worse/different than if he were to apply for this himself?

Thanks!
I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Comments

• Bakeybadoo
    Bakeybadoo Posts: 810 Forumite
    Options
    It is viewed differently, it still has a certain stigma attatched to it, compared to self-petitioning for BR, for some strange reason.

Of course if a company makes him BR, he doesn't have to pay the £485 fees.

It would show on his credit file as BR either way so how it's done, regarding that, would make no odds.
    :: BCSC #71 but now discharged! ::
  • Jonto_3
    Jonto_3 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Bakeybadoo wrote: »
    It is viewed differently, it still has a certain stigma attatched to it, compared to self-petitioning for BR, for some strange reason.

Of course if a company makes him BR, he doesn't have to pay the £485 fees.

It would show on his credit file as BR either way so how it's done, regarding that, would make no odds.

I don;t think it would be viewed differently. The only people who would know the difference is you, the creditor, the judge who makes the order, the OR and the Trustee.

The last two see it all the time and wouldn't be bothered and judges are idiots and don't know what day of the week it is.
    I am only going to make 40 posts, then I am off.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I definitely think that you are treated differently if you are petitioned for bankruptcy by a creditor. My OR asked me why I did not 'self-petition' and whilst she appeared to accept my answer - that I would have self-petitioned but could not afford it - she did not give me a direct answer when I asked her if I would be treated any differently.
    Other threads on this forum would appear to concur with my opinion - however, that does not mean that I feel that self-declaration is, in any way, a ticket to an 'easy' bankruptcy. It is just the way things happen.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Bakeybadoo
    Options
    Jonto wrote: »
    I don;t think it would be viewed differently. The only people who would know the difference is you, the creditor, the judge who makes the order, the OR and the Trustee.

The last two see it all the time and wouldn't be bothered and judges are idiots and don't know what day of the week it is.
    I think you have to be in that position to be able to accurately comment. As rog did above.

I know people on both sides (including my OH) and there is a difference sadly.
  • wherediditallgo
    wherediditallgo Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Rog & Bakey. Technically, there's no difference, & financially it saves the debtor paying the fees. However, it costs creditors a lot more money to make someone BR, & I don't think they take that lightly. One of my friends was made BR by a group of creditors. At least one of them talked about it afterwards, with the result that he couldn't continue as self-employed. He firmly believes that people think it's one thing to go BR, but to leave your creditors to pay for your court action is unforgivable. I suspect the OR has that view too. I know that isn't what happens, but most people don't.

I'd say to anyone that they should petition themselves. That way you stay more in control of court dates, movement of direct debits etc.
  • Jonto_3
    Jonto_3 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Bakeybadoo wrote: »
    I think you have to be in that position to be able to accurately comment. As rog did above.

I know people on both sides (including my OH) and there is a difference sadly.

I disagree. In my experience they are not viewed any differently. In fact, in this day and age i would say debtors petitions are frowned upon my that creds petitions as there seems to be alot of people who jump on the bankruptcy band wagon.
    I am only going to make 40 posts, then I am off.
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    I disagree. In my experience they are not viewed any differently. In fact, in this day and age i would say debtors petitions are frowned upon my that creds petitions as there seems to be alot of people who jump on the bankruptcy band wagon.

Jonto,

If Judges are idiots, what experience and qualifications do you have to compare with the average judge?

You've evaded a couple of subtle questions, so please answer a couple of direct ones:

Have you ever been declared bankrupt?

What EXACTLY do you do (sell) for a living?
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Please tell us exactly WHAT experience that is.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • AlanD_3
    AlanD_3 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Options
    Ok... Ok... I'm nieve. I was just assuming that Jonto has been trying to help but that being new he/she wasn't getting the tone quite right.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but is there really a need for the Spainish Inquisition?

Sorry if I've missed something obvious here.
  • Bakeybadoo
    Options
    I think if someone keeps saying that in their experience, they know different, people are going to basically ask them to explain how. Especially if they are saying the majority of people who hold the opposing opinion, who've been there and done that, are wrong.

I see nothing wrong with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family