IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Court cases

Options

Comments

• pie_face_2
    Options
    Smart, I shall keep an eye out nearer the time
  • pie_face_2
    Options
    Actually, just a quickie question.

From the 49 cases year. How many tickets went unpaid?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,144 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 31 January 2013 at 2:49PM
    Options
    japmis wrote: »
    what happened in October 2012?

Private clamping/towing became the CRIMINAL offence it always was - but the authorities finally realised it. And in the Protection of Freedoms Act the private parking comanies (called 'PPCs' on this forum as they are discussed so often) were 'allowed' to chase the registered keeper over a fake PCN if the don't know who the driver was. Still unenforceable twaddle, just means that in England/Wales, both the driver and the registered keeper can ignore it together now!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4360185

And the PPCs had to fund an independent appeal stage which is POPLA. Thread at the top of the forum about POPLA:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Happy reading of some other threads there if you want to learn more about the scammers known as PPCs.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,144 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    pie_face wrote: »

Don't know - because even the wins could have gone unpaid if the PPC just chose it as a show-trial to put on their website to scare people. E.g. if they chose cases where all the letters were coming back 'gone away' they'd know they could sneak a default small claim win out of it (but never get paid).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • BASFORDLAD
    BASFORDLAD Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    Options
    I've just chucked an FOI request at the Crown Prosecution Service.

I'll post back as/when I hear further.

It's available on "What do they know" if you search CPS... unfortunately I can't post links as a new registration.

You have asked the wrong people
    For everthing else there's mastercard.
    For clampers there's Barclaycard.
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The cases to watch will be ones where they have claimed the POPLA fee as this gives them an actual invoice to put down on the table.
    Be happy...;)
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

The PPCs won 24 of the 49 cases, so one would assume the losing defendants would have then paid up.

Defendants won the other 25, so there was nothing to pay.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, but I think the poster wants to know how many tickets went unpaid. I think we can only estimate this (unless anyone knows different), did someone arrive at a figure of 200,000-ish somewhere? 10%?
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • pie_face_2
    Options
    Yes, sorry. I wasn't very clear. Total unpaid PPC tickets for the year.

What Manxread said
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, sorry. I wasn't very clear. Total unpaid PPC tickets for the year. ..
    According to the BPA figures, and we know they never lie, there were 1.8 million private tickets issued in 2011, of which approx. 31% went unpaid, so that's about 550,000.

As only 845 resulted in court claims, and only 49 of those actually reached court, you don't have to be Rachel Riley to work out the odds of anything happening if you ignore them.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport