We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Add your feedback on energy supplier Shell Energy (formerly First Utility)

Options

Comments

• Jmax_2
    Options
    Been with this CO 2yrs+ never and email.20+minto and phone been in credit upto £200 so reduced monthly DD so just because I have last large bill of winter they say they will increase it based on being moved at plan end in may to the STD plan till may 17 ! I'm leaving on 13march 16 never again no better than big 5 the co should be given d mail wooden spoon
  • snowscreamer
    Options
    I'm with sillygoose above; I have been with First Utility since May 2014 shortly after I moved into my current house. They came up the cheapest in the market for my projected use (which was probably wildly out as we use double the electricity here than we did at my old flat, but hey-ho). I suspect it would have still come out cheapest or not far off, to be honest.

When my initial fixed price period came to the end, another fixed price deal with First Utility was projected to me (this time with accurate usage!) only £10/year more than the cheapest on the market, so for ease I took up another year's fixed price deal. All extremely easy, all enacted online. Website is great, app is great, bills well laid out.

I'm now coming to the end of the current deal (£576 / year) and their best tariff for me to switch to would be £582 / year. GB Energy Supply's variable and fixed tariffs would both be £529 / year (assuming variable doesn't move around much, of course!) so for a £53 annual saving I will be looking to switch. If the difference was £20 or less I'd stay with First Utility but at £50 I'm more inclined to switch.

If next year they come up cheaper, and/or it turns out GB Energy Supply are useless, I would have no hesitation in switching back.

On another note I started out paying fixed DD as that was the only option I could see without adding admin fees, however a few months ago I saw an option to switch to variable DD on the website. I prefer paying by variable DD so there's never a credit or debit balance on the account, you only pay what you owe. So thumbs up for that feature too.
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been with First Utility for 5 years now, and have to say am very satisfied with them. I pay by variable direct debit which suits me fine, I don't owe them, and they don't owe me!
    They most certainly offer the best tariff for me, therefore I have to say Well Done First Utility.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 March 2016 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Phew ! Thanks guys. The first two companies that came out as 'best buys' both had very negative reviews here, that I thought I would never find another reasonably priced company.
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree with Snowscreamer - been quite happy with FU for the past two and a half years but I'm afraid their latest tariff is nowhere as good as GB Energy (who don't have an exit fee either) so I'll be swapping over now I'm out of my penalty period.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    2010 Posts: 5,386 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was with FU for just over a year but switched last month to a cheaper tariff and supplier.
    In all the time I was with FU I never had one reason to fault them.
    The bills were always correct and on time.
    The DD were always taken on time and for the correct amount.
    Both the switching on joining and leaving went without a hitch and today I got my final bill which was exact to the penny.

I would not hesitate to go with them again if they had the cheapest tariff.
    Excellent service all round and they put the big 6 to shame.
    I would urge anyone who find FU the best for them to switch right away.

Well done FU. :T
    2010 Posts: 5,386 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Refund of money owed in account last Thursday as promised by FU.
    Great customer service all round.

Sorry to be leaving them!
  • bettz
    bettz Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just joined First Utility 3 weeks ago (first time switching) and they've already messed up my first meter readings and estimated them even though i submitted readings. They've then gone and changed the reading that i submitted!!

British Gas are now chasing me for an extra £70 for my final bill ( which i pay monthly) even though i was £160 in credit last month and its going to take them 2 weeks to sort out.

Customer service doesn't seem great i've called 3 times so far and been on hold each time for over 15 mins

Not a good start!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bettz wrote: »
    Just joined First Utility 3 weeks ago (first time switching) and they've already messed up my first meter readings and estimated them even though i submitted readings. They've then gone and changed the reading that i submitted!!

British Gas are now chasing me for an extra £70 for my final bill ( which i pay monthly) even though i was £160 in credit last month and its going to take them 2 weeks to sort out.

Customer service doesn't seem great i've called 3 times so far and been on hold each time for over 15 mins

Not a good start!

When you say 'estimated' by how much? All meter readings given to the new supplier are subject to third-party review. Provided the opening reading on your new account agrees with the closing reading on your old account, you will not be out of pocket by very much.

If the difference is significant, then ask your new supplier to raise a readings dispute. The downside of this is that it can take some time for the dispute to be resolved.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The only beef I have with FU is their website.

For several months I've been trying to update my email address but all I have ever got is, "Sorry! We're experiencing a temporary technical problem and your details couldn't be changed. Sorry for the inconvenience – please try again later.". Though, weirdly, if you leave your email unchanged and click the very same button, it says, "Thank you. You've successfully updated your My Account details."

And if you click on 'Account Summary', all you get is "This service is currently not available"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure