🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

Options

Comments

• Jeremy_Boden
    Options
    I always switch from SP to SP every few months since there is always an offer equal to (or better) than my current tariff on cheapenergyclub.

Each time (after several months) cheapenergyclub adds £25 to my bank account.
    No problems with the tariff changeover at SP.
  • the_bandit
    Options
    Well priced SuperSaver tariffs available via online brokers such as MSE Cheap Energy Club or uSwitch.

I submit my own monthly readings which give you an instant balance of your account and this generates a bill about 2 days later.

You can manage your DD online or if your prefer to call and they are busy they will call you back. Chat options available using smartphone app if you wish.

No problems here.
  • Ianc_71
    Options
    I’ve been a Scottish Power customer for years-regularly switching to their best tariffs.

However, last tariff switch in summer I was advised to get smart meters-to which I agreed, but they messed up the installations. Apparently Scottish Power hadn’t done something so left with no meters to read and estimated bills since.

Called Scottish Power a number of times (at least 4-lost count and angry now) unfortunately no help whatsoever.

Now what? Can’t switch easily as cannot provide meter readings, and cannot get accurate bills either! Proper stuck :-( Any advice welcome! After this will definitely be looking for new supplier!
  • tcowsley
    Options
    Have been with them for 6 years. Have switched tariffs regularly with them, through uSwitch and Energy Club. Each time has been prompt. Recently had smart meters installed and again all great. Only thing I can’t get my head around is that their best tariffs are only on switching sites, not their own! Still at £25 cash back per switch, can’t complain. Their app is good and like many here, I am on monthly billing with actual meter reads. Have always used callback when contacting them and it works fine.
  • Glevum_Owl
    Options
    We've been with Scottish Power for a number of years and until recently had no complaints; supply, support and online account have all been great.

Unfortunately all through 2019 we've received a constant stream of letters, cards, texts, emails and, most disruptive of all, phone calls about having smart meters installed. Despite promises from Scottish Power and the companies calling on their behalf, we have not been removed from the mailing and phone lists and the calls, texts and letters keep coming.

In the new year we'll look for an energy supplier that listens to its customers.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    - 5 years SP
    - changed tariff February
    - expected 8/10% price increase
    - DD took £ - 100% increase 
    - 5+ year on year annual CAC 8500kWpa
    At the 12 month point my CAC will still be CAC÷8500kWpa÷12=direct debit payments. Previously [my gift] 6 summer months, underpay 6winter months pay CAC  was ok with SP. If they want to change it it's still going to be the ± annual/monthly same but I'll bank the summer instead of SP getting interest. So I've now reduced my DD by a whole £54pm, they have accepted this figure.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Suffolkpunch_2
    Options
    Hi David,

I'm looking to switch from British Gas but have recently had Smart Meters fitted - would this be a problem?

Thanks

• Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Hiya David. 

I  very deliberately paid a higher tariff than have to agree to (contract agreement) a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter. IMO they just never swap, there are hundreds per day of people on this one forum that say this. I also know that in my distribution area code they have no meter installers because they only fit SMETS2 to high rise only.

So it's a personal individual choice on your part, SP will certainly accept you if you qualify. Whether your smart meter goes dumb I've no idea. Best of luck my friend.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Jeremy_Boden
    Jeremy_Boden Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 13 February 2020 at 5:10PM
    Options
    I think I must have managed to get on SP's no - smart meter list. They don't save any power except for the terminally stupid.
    They haven't enforced that I must agree to have "smart" meters - which seems to be in all their best tariffs. Maybe there are no meter installers in North London?
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    I'm north east, as per my nym. It's down to SmartDCC

London area has good mobile coverage. Here we use a contrived radio signal rather than the normal piggybacking on the mobile. So.the UHF band at 412-414 MHz for the uplink and 422-424 MHz for the downlink. IMO gonna be many years before we get working smart meters. But that won't stop supplier 'boot boys' forcing the population to accept a dumb meter.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure