Forum Home» Energy

Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback - Page 77

New Post Advanced Search

Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

edited 11 September 2017 at 1:59PM in Energy
1.8K replies 260.1K views

Replies

• E.ON_Company_Representative:_MalcE.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hengus wrote: »
    By switching away, you then become an E.oN new customer which may open up some E.oN deals that are not offered to existing customers.

Afternoon Hengus.

I think you mean the first Saver Tariffs we had on sale last year. The last of these were withdrawn from sale on 28 October 16. They were the Saver Fixed 1 Year versions 1-3 and Saver Plus Fixed 1 Year versions 1-5.

They were on sale for about 6 weeks in total and only available to new customers through Price Comparison Sites. They were part of the trials we've been doing as we look to redesign our product portfolio for 2017.

The tariff we released last week, the Saver Fixed 1 Year version 4, although similarly titled is completely different. This is for both existing and potentially new customers. It's available through our website or over the phone.

At the moment, all the tariffs we're currently selling through our website are for both existing and potentially new customers. There aren't currently any E.ON alternatives on the Price Comparison sites.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon Hengus.

I think you mean the first Saver Tariffs we had on sale last year. The last of these were withdrawn from sale on 28 October 16. They were the Saver Fixed 1 Year versions 1-3 and Saver Plus Fixed 1 Year versions 1-5.

They were on sale for about 6 weeks in total and only available to new customers through Price Comparison Sites. They were part of the trials we've been doing as we look to redesign our product portfolio for 2017.

The tariff we released last week, the Saver Fixed 1 Year version 4, although similarly titled is completely different. This is for both existing and potentially new customers. It's available through our website or over the phone.

At the moment, all the tariffs we're currently selling through our website are for both existing and potentially new customers. There aren't currently any E.ON alternatives on the Price Comparison sites.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Malc

Hi Malc,

As we MSErs know, nothing is set in concrete as far as sales gimmicks go. E.oN is not the only supplier that has been offering tariffs to new customers only - and I doubt that it will be the last. If you are now suggesting that common sense is beginning to prevail within the E.oN Marketing Department, then that is great news for existing E.oN customers.

My input to your ongoing research would be as follows: do away with all rewards, cashbacks, clever gimmicks, an overly fancy website etc and just offer market beating deals with good customer service. You could then do away with PCW referral fees; and at least 50% of your marketing, customer service and complaints departments.

FWiW, my number 1 top supplier for 2016 is Zog Energy. They do not have an online account or fancy website. They offer cheap gas along with exceptional customer service. I have had e-mail responses from them in minutes rather than the days that it takes E.oN.
  • edited 14 January 2017 at 6:09PM
    pineapplepineapple Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2017 at 6:09PM
    Sorry you had such a poor experience last time you switched. What happened?

Malc
    The old supplier said it hadn't heard from the new supplier which the new supplier said wasn't true. I had given my final readings to the new supplier and several times over to the old supplier for good measure. The old supplier was practically unreachable via customer service - ie there was either no response or no one who could deal with it, promises to look into it didn't happen and neither did the promised call backs.. Finally I got some response by complaining on their Facebook page (lots of similar complaints). . The old supplier then claimed there was a balance owing when in fact I had always been in credit and by this time I couldn't get into my old account to double check. I was paying my direct debit right until the start of the new supplier and had always been well ahead of actual usage. The amount was therefore in dispute then one day my bank balance went down unexpectedly - the old supplier had taken out a direct debit with no notification. This a couple of months after the new supply had started. I complained and the bank gave me the money back under the Direct Debit Guarantee.. I made sure this couldn't happen again but ultimately sent a payment to them which I believed I didn't owe.In fact I believed they actually owed ME money but I just wanted it all over with. :mad:
  • Compared to the v19 E.ON tariff I had been on, the current best E.ON tariff is 37.52% more expensive for day units and 37.76% more expensive for night units. I hope I'm not coming across as melodramatic when I say that these seem like crazy price increases. When I first saw them I thought there must have been some mistake.

The standing charge is being reduced to 16.422p from 26.019p, but that only yields a saving of £35.03 a year, not nearly enough to negate the per unit increases as they would affect me. That is to say, the net change after accounting for all price alterations is still an increase in excess of 30% (i.e., 32.3%).

This is not only worse than the old v19 plan, but also worse than many competitors' tariffs. On the comparator website I scrolled through a substantial portion of the top of the list of deals selected for me, and E.ON's name did not occur there. After 8 years or so with E.ON, I hadn't been considering switching away, but having been offered the largest price increase I have ever seen, I felt forced to. Consequently, I've entered into a contract with another supplier.

I might also mention that there seems to a problem with the E.ON website, in that it does not offer the best tariff for me if I answer "no" to the question "Would you like us to show only our Economy 7 tariffs in your quote results?" In that case it offers a tariff that is 111% more expensive than my existing contract for the same usage. Someone might wish to look into that.
  • pineapplepineapple Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have an issue - which is not Eon's fault - but when I first moved in I was clueless about E7 and the cost of storage heaters. My first bill was massive - the following was less massive and now that I have a handle on it, my consumption is a fraction of what it was originally. But it seems that all my consumption has been factored in the quote. It says that I have 70% cheap rate consumption which these days is not true. Plus the estimate for annual consumption should actually be around 1/3 lower - based on my current pattern of use. So have had to do my own calculations for what would be a typical year in the future.
    So I still wish I could do a search which simply logged the tariffs/unit rates /standing charges of all suppliers in that area.
  • edited 16 January 2017 at 11:06AM
    pineapplepineapple Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 January 2017 at 11:06AM
    inexpert wrote: »
    I might also mention that there seems to a problem with the E.ON website, in that it does not offer the best tariff for me if I answer "no" to the question "Would you like us to show only our Economy 7 tariffs in your quote results?" In that case it offers a tariff that is 111% more expensive than my existing contract for the same usage. Someone might wish to look into that.
    I checked and when you do this, it doesn't bring up a list of both E7 and none E7 tariffs as you would expect (well I did) . It just brings up the none E7 versions of the same tariffs. So if you are currently on E7 that would explain the price difference. The difference is particularly big for me as they have me down as 70% night consumption which is no longer true.
  • Hi Pineapple, I absolutely agree with you about providers not clearly displaying their unit rates so you can work out the costs yourself, which are way more accurate than their estimates. It drives me nuts and wish Ofcom or some regulatory body would make it a legal requisite. Instead I use cheap enegy clubs comparison site and then scroll to the unit rates given there. I also am on E7 so it makes comparison a little more complicated. I always do the sums myself.

I moved from Eon to Flow last year. Flow by the way are one of the few that actually list their unit rates on their website. But my tariff is coming to an end. It seems there are no really good deals about from any of the providers at them moment, so will just take the hike by going on to their standard tariff (which strangely is no dearer than their new fix) , and cut down even more on my electricity use, whilst keeping an eye for any deals that may come up and will move ship when and if that happens. I thought Eon and their website were pretty efficient and would move back if they could offer a good deal.
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    . It seems there are no really good deals about from any of the providers at them moment, so will just take the hike by going on to their standard tariff (which strangely is no dearer than their new fix) , and cut down even more on my electricity use, whilst keeping an eye for any deals that may come up and will move ship when and if that happens. I thought Eon and their website were pretty efficient and would move back if they could offer a good deal.

You may be waiting a long time. The fall in the £ and the increase in the wholesale price of oil has had some impact; however, the biggest increase has been in electricity prices not gas. Why?

In 2010/11, the wholesale cost of electricity accounted for 52p of every £ on your bill. Environmental and social policy costs accounted for 4p. In 2016/17 it is estimated that wholesale electricity costs will account for 32p in every £: Environmental and social costs have increased by a factor of 5 to 20p in every £. Personally, I would fix now and not wait for a collective offer that may not happen.

http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/customers/about-your-energy-bill/the-breakdown-of-an-energy-bill.html
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_MalcE.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hengus wrote: »
    Hi Malc,

As we MSErs know, nothing is set in concrete as far as sales gimmicks go. E.oN is not the only supplier that has been offering tariffs to new customers only - and I doubt that it will be the last. If you are now suggesting that common sense is beginning to prevail within the E.oN Marketing Department, then that is great news for existing E.oN customers.

My input to your ongoing research would be as follows: do away with all rewards, cashbacks, clever gimmicks, an overly fancy website etc and just offer market beating deals with good customer service. You could then do away with PCW referral fees; and at least 50% of your marketing, customer service and complaints departments.

FWiW, my number 1 top supplier for 2016 is Zog Energy. They do not have an online account or fancy website. They offer cheap gas along with exceptional customer service. I have had e-mail responses from them in minutes rather than the days that it takes E.oN.

Thanks for your input Hengus. Very useful as always. I've passed it on to the managers dealing with our product review.

Thanks again.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    pineapple wrote: »
    The old supplier said it hadn't heard from the new supplier which the new supplier said wasn't true. I had given my final readings to the new supplier and several times over to the old supplier for good measure. The old supplier was practically unreachable via customer service - ie there was either no response or no one who could deal with it, promises to look into it didn't happen and neither did the promised call backs.. Finally I got some response by complaining on their Facebook page (lots of similar complaints). . The old supplier then claimed there was a balance owing when in fact I had always been in credit and by this time I couldn't get into my old account to double check. I was paying my direct debit right until the start of the new supplier and had always been well ahead of actual usage. The amount was therefore in dispute then one day my bank balance went down unexpectedly - the old supplier had taken out a direct debit with no notification. This a couple of months after the new supply had started. I complained and the bank gave me the money back under the Direct Debit Guarantee.. I made sure this couldn't happen again but ultimately sent a payment to them which I believed I didn't owe.In fact I believed they actually owed ME money but I just wanted it all over with. :mad:

Hello pineapple and I can see why you're cautious about switching after such a drawn out affair. Most switches don't usually have so many issues.

With any switch, it's the responsibility of the new supplier to send their opening meter readings to the old supplier. The old supplier uses the same readings to close their account and send a final bill. This is to make sure the same energy isn't charged twice. The readings go through a third party who checks they're in line with the previous usage history held for the property. Sometimes a change is made and both suppliers need to use this same reading. This is all done via a series of electronic messages.

Where suppliers have signed up to Faster Switching (most have but there are exceptions), the supply usually goes over in about two and half weeks. Sometimes, though, it takes longer before accounts are fully up and running. One reason for this can be a delay with the messages. Not saying this is what happened to you but it's something that can happen.

As I say, most switches go through without these issues but problems can crop up as you experienced.

Malc