Really worried about my dog

Options

Comments

• Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 January 2013 at 5:08PM
    Options
    A horrible thing to face but we have all been there and for the sake of your dog you need to make this last,unselfish decision.It is,sadly, the ultimate test of your love for her.

Perhaps this will help

• [SIZE=+3]The Last Battle [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]If it should be that I grow frail and weak [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]And pain should keep me from my sleep, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Then will you do what must be done, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]For this -- the last battle -- can't be won. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]You will be sad I understand, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]But don't let grief then stay your hand, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]For on this day, more than the rest, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Your love and friendship must stand the test. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]We have had so many happy years, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]You wouldn't want me to suffer so. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]When the time comes, please, let me go. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Take me to where to my needs they'll tend, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Only, stay with me till the end [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]And hold me firm and speak to me [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Until my eyes no longer see. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]I know in time you will agree [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]It is a kindness you do to me. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Although my tail its last has waved, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]From pain and suffering I have been saved. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Don't grieve that it must be you [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Who has to decide this thing to do; [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]We've been so close -- we two -- these years, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Don't let your heart hold any tears. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]-- Unknown [/SIZE]
  • SadBunny
    SadBunny Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Stephb1986 wrote: »
    I wish it was a lot easier I wish she could just go to sleep in her bed without any intervention...

I have never regretted doing it too soon - probably because I have never yet managed it.
    I have bitterly regretted doing it too late - events can take a sudden turn for the worse - I had to suppress feelings of panic, and stay calm for the sake of my pet.
    Honestly, sooner is better than later.

My last pet was pts at home.
    He was comfortable, because we acted while the last treatment was still effective.

The actual procedure was easy - very much better at home.
    I had to put on a brave face - it was very important that I should be there for him; and I think anyone who can't hide their distress should stay out of the way.

He was delighted by all the attention - beamed round at everyone.
    He was in his favourite place, with his favourite blanket and enjoyed the fuss and being groomed with his favourite brush.
    From his point of view, it was a lovely way to go - and I have to agree.... although I am feeling really choked typing this now.

Your dog will enjoy being extra close to you - your touch will comfort her.
    So sorry you have to go through this.
  • Froglet
    Options
    Out of all the pets i have had to be PTS over the years the very worst guilt i had was because my beloved chipmunk died.He was a very good age and it was likely his time but it did not stop me thinking that he died due to an illness,or in pain and i didn't notice it.

Dogs and cats rarely die in their sleep and i really think you would feel a whole lot worse if you wait for that to happen.

Better we suffer because we care than they suffer because we don't.
  • murphydog999
    murphydog999 Posts: 1,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SadBunny wrote: »
    I had to put on a brave face - it was very important that I should be there for him; and I think anyone who can't hide their distress should stay out of the way.

That's a really, really difficult thing to achieve.....:(

You know your dog better than anyone, but if you think she is miserable and suffering, or in pain.............

I wish you well in the weeks ahead x
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    We have ALWAYS had the vet home, I know its expensive but my goodness, you dont count the cost when your beloved dog is suffering. I could never have dragged a sick and frightened dog to the vet to be pts.

Like all of us, you will start doubting if you are doing it for your own sake rather than the dogs. I know we always do - but the truth is, they have no fear of death like us and it is the kindest thing to do if you can see she is in pain and struggling.

My heart goes out to you, I dread it every time and as soon as my dogs become middle aged, its in the back of my mind how long will they be with me. Totally selfish of me I know, its just not fair that they cant live to the same age as humans.

Bless you, you know its best for her - let her go in dignity and comfort in her own home.

xxx
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Hi I hope someone can help me,

I have a labrador that is 14 years old she had cancer a few years ago that was removed, since then it has come back really aggressive and her poor body is riddled with it, It would be unfair to put her through an operation to remove them all as there is too much.

This morning she hasn't been herself she's been really soft and looks like she's struggling to walk on her back legs (swaying, walking like she's drunk, falling over)

Does this mean the time has come? Please be kind with replies as she is a massive massive part of our life as I work from home so being without her would kill me.

What can I do to help her? apart from the obvious

Thanks in advance

Steph xx

I am sorry to hear that. I don't need to read past those first few words to know my answer.

The vet.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    It's just hard to let her go I've been with her all the time for the last 10 years because I work from home. She's always been there when I've needed someone to talk to.

I suppose this is the last kind thing I could do for her

Steph xx
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    It's just hard to let her go I've been with her all the time for the last 10 years because I work from home. She's always been there when I've needed someone to talk to.

I suppose this is the last kind thing I could do for her

Steph xx

Oh, believe me, I know. I've said goodbye to two cats and a tank of fish in the last year. Plus my kids leaving home and breaking off contact with my mother. One of those cats was my permanent shadow, she knew me as well as anyone ever could.

It is the last thing you can do for her - and no matter how much it hurts you - you owe it to her to do it.

She is entirely dependent upon you to make the pain stop. You have to do this because you know it is right.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think that as pet owners, the kindest act we do for our animals is to let them go when the time is here.
    I know I haven't much longer with my old dog and I am dreading that time, but I love her very much and she loves me to, so I will have to do whats right for her and not me.
    Sending you lots of hugs for you and your baby xx
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • Froglet
    Options
    jojo you sum it up in a few short words

"She is entirely dependent upon you to make the pain stop"

All animals depend upon us to do this.If it were a wild animal you found like that you would get it to a vet asap.When strong emotions come into it of course it's harder.Much much harder.I have done it for two beloved dogs and it is gut wrenching.But so is seeing them struggle on and hurting.

They can't march into a vets and ask.So it is up to us to do it for them.

We will all be here for you afterwards,we all share your pain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure