Really worried about my dog

in Pets & Pet Care
48 replies 2.8K views
Stephb1986_2Stephb1986_2 Forumite
6.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
Hi I hope someone can help me,

I have a labrador that is 14 years old she had cancer a few years ago that was removed, since then it has come back really aggressive and her poor body is riddled with it, It would be unfair to put her through an operation to remove them all as there is too much.

This morning she hasn't been herself she's been really soft and looks like she's struggling to walk on her back legs (swaying, walking like she's drunk, falling over)

Does this mean the time has come? Please be kind with replies as she is a massive massive part of our life as I work from home so being without her would kill me.

What can I do to help her? apart from the obvious

Thanks in advance

Steph xx

Replies

• HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay with her and keep her comfortable as much as possible. As long as she isn't in pain (which is hard to tell) then you can delay making that choice for a while. Has the vet prescribed painkillers?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Stephb1986_2Stephb1986_2 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No I've not took her the vets yet as she finds it really distressing :( I hope I'm not being a bad owner, she means everything to me

Steph xx
  • Alisha2008Alisha2008 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really sorry to read your message, it must be very hard for you.
    I think only you will know when the time has come... but it looks to me as it has. My opinion is that our pets shouldn't be allowed to suffer, but as I said, it's your decision, and a very difficult one.

I dont know if it's possible here in the UK, but my mum had to put one of her cats to sleep recently (she was very ill and paralised from the waist down), and the vet agreed to go to her place and do it there. She thinks it was better for the cat to at least be at home.. it's just an idea.

xx
  • ailethaileth Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Alisha2008 wrote: »
    I'm really sorry to read your message, it must be very hard for you.
    I think only you will know when the time has come... but it looks to me as it has. My opinion is that our pets shouldn't be allowed to suffer, but as I said, it's your decision, and a very difficult one.

I dont know if it's possible here in the UK, but my mum had to put one of her cats to sleep recently (she was very ill and paralised from the waist down), and the vet agreed to go to her place and do it there. She thinks it was better for the cat to at least be at home.. it's just an idea.

xx

Yes, as far as I'm aware vets will come to your home to do it (and if she's really stressed by vets this is by far the best and most comfortable thing for her). They will probably charge a 'call out' fee of sorts.

I have had pets before where I was so desperate not to lose them that I gave them painkillers and stayed with them until they passed. Looking back, I really regret not having gone to the vet/have them come to me because ever since there has always been the niggling doubt of, "What if they are in pain? What if the medicine didn't work or didn't take away all the pain?" And I know in the future, as soon as I had any sort of doubt or thought that it was their time, I will always have it done, no matter how hard at the time, because I found it very difficult having all of the 'what if's' rather than them going to a happier place and no possibility of any more pain.
  • concerned43concerned43 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to find you in this position. I know how you feel as I have been through it twice now and it's not easy. I knew when the time had come and I kept going with one of my dogs for another couple of days as I could not pluck of the courage to say goodbye, I have no regrets about doing it even though it was probably selfish of me but I just could not cope and had to work on myself to gain the strength to take him to the vet, broke my heart and even now 18 months later I miss them just as much now as I did the day they went to doggy heaven.
    Just go with your instincts.
  • You can get the vets to come to your house. I have it all planned with my vet so I can just make the call when the time comes with Tyson. It won't be long :( It may be worth ringing your vet to discuss it with them, as especially with a large dog the practicalities of getting them to a vet when they are immobile without distressing them need to be thought through.

It's a horrible decision to make Steph, and I hope that it is like people say, that the dogs almost let you know when they are ready.

The way I am looking at it with my dog at the moment is; I wouldn't regret making the decision too soon as much as I would regret making it too late. I just really hope he lets me know what to do.

Thinking of you, and not far behind you :(
  • Stephb1986_2Stephb1986_2 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've given her 1 ibruprofen for now to see if that helps her for a bit it seems to have made her feel a bit better she's walking a lot better, and I'll ring the vets and make an appointment to go and see him. She's currently sat on the sofa with my mum having a cuddle.

We've known for a while that the time will be sooner rather than later the last 2 christmases we've said we're going to be lucky to have her next christmas but she always suprises us!

I wish it was a lot easier I wish she could just go to sleep in her bed without any intervention :( Just thinking about it makes me cry.

Thanks for all the kind words

Steph xx
  • zaksmumzaksmum Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear Steph. I'm so sorry.

Sadly I do think the time has come. When this happened with my last dog I knew it was time - he could be helped to stand up but then collapsed again. So I just lay with him and cuddled him till the vet opened and we carried him to the car and stayed with him all the way through.

That's all you can do really. Has the vet seen her yet today?
  • spacey2012spacey2012 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh no, hope she pulls back a bit .
    Be happy...;)
  • katsclawskatsclaws Forumite
    396 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hello Steph, I am sad for you and your labrador. Vets will come to your home and if your dog is distressed at going to the vet, it may be the kindest option.
    Our lovely springer spaniel was put to sleep in July last year, it is such a difficult thing to do. We hope that when the time comes our 12 year old labrador will die in his sleep.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides