What could you live without?

Options

Comments

• elsbels_3
    elsbels_3 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Money is tight for my family at the moment as I am currently not working in order to look after my children. We go without a foreign holiday as it really is not a necessity. The absence of the other items would impact considerably on our way of life and so we choose to camp cheaply in this country which, as well as being a great adventure for the children, is far less stressful than organising visas, dealing with long waits at airports, worrying about lost luggage and occasionally being stuck in resort that does not meet expectations.
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    I'm currently without the TV. Haven't had a foreign holiday for 2 years, and am technically homeless.

What do I win?

p.s. I'm not unhappy. Yet.
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • Garnet_Gem
    Garnet_Gem Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    Mobile phone would go first. I've now got a PAYG one so i don't use it much. Next would be TV. Can't decide between foreign holiday and internet.
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I could easily, and have in the past, gone without all the options.

I voted for the foreign holiday, purely because I have never been on one, and in no way consider it necessary. In fact, it's 2 years since I last had any over-night stay - and only had 2 in the previous 10 years.

Of the three options that remain applicable to me - the TV goes first without a doubt - I'd chuck it in the bin tomorrow if the rest of the family weren't so against the idea, lol.

After that, the (PAYG) mobile would be next - I put about £10 every 4 months if that on, so you can tell how much it's used.

The computer, and internet connection, is the one we've struggled without in the past, and the first we've reinstated each time finances recovered. We save money by shopping online, we get our daily news, chat etc, keep in contact with family through the internet. I personally also use the PC itself daily - keeping track of finances, creating things for the kids (party invites, educational sheets etc) and so on.
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • MandyQue
    MandyQue Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I voted foreign holidays too, I've never been off this island of ours in my whole life. While it would be nice, I have no great urge to go abroad at this point in my life, maybe when my kids are older and more independent I will go alone or with friends. I might be able to afford it then!

I'd get rid of the tellys but the kids wouldn't! I'm a music person, love CDs and my computer so the TV comes quite low in my home entertainment list. The computer would have to stay so I guess I'd downgrade my mobile phone contract to the bare minimum till it ends then go onto PAYG.
    I'm an MSE winner!
    2x tickets to the o2 Wireless Festival :j
    Summer Sports Set - trampoline, swingball and paddling pool worth £100 :T
  • dinahd
    dinahd Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Well this is tricky!

I ditched the TV 12 years ago and have never had nor wanted a mobile phone. I worked abroad for a few years and lived in the places I wanted to see, plus some others, so I don't feel the need for foreign holidays.
    The computer and internet are my main source of income so I'd better hang on to them!

By the way if you get rid of the TV it opens the way to becoming more creative and you can earn a bit of extra money selling the things you make...
  • mr_forward
    mr_forward Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I'm always the odd one out!! I would lose the other 3 in an instant to keep holidaying for the rest of my years.

I may have the travel bug but I can't think anything more beneficial to body and mind than taking a little time out to explore different places, people, language, cuisine, culture and history.

As you can get a certain degree of this online and on tv, I guess my mobile would be first in the bin.

If the foreign holiday in question was 2 weeks full board in a brits-abroad nightmare on the costa del chips & gravy. I would probably re-consider.
  • Daisies
    Daisies Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    Erm, well. I wouldn't consider a foreign holiday a necessity - I go abroad about once every five years at the moment, so that doesn't really count for me.

TV definitely, I didn't have one for several years when I was on a limited income as I couldn't afford a licence. Nothing beats Radio 4! ;)

I'm self-employed and work from home some days each week so the internet/computer is vital for me, the same with a mobile phone when I'm working on site!

I would like to add the car to the list of what I could do without. I only got it last year as work is in various obscure locations not reachable by public transport/bike, but I'll get rid of it asap as soon as my work situation changes. Everything else I can do on foot or by bike.
  • iceicebaby
    iceicebaby Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I couldnt live without my internet and mobile

TV i can take or leave

Holidays well ive never been on one so what you have never had you dont miss!
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j
  • JIMbo345
    JIMbo345 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    That could be another Question "where is your nearest public phone box" I just asked my son. We think there is one about 300 yards away. Where`s yours!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure