We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Problems with Safestyle windows

Options
Hi all,

[Sorry for long post - but just to give you the background information]

I'm at my wits end with Safestyle and the poor customer service and shoddy products they have installed in my home (three windows, one patio door and a front door).

I moved into a house with single glazing and as part of improving the property, I obtained quotes for double glazing. Stupidly, I went with Safestyle UK. Believe me, I'm completely regret this!

The windows are so poorly installed, the whole house is freezing. There is a noticeable breeze coming through every window and when the wind is blowing in the right direction, the curtains actually move. The house is even colder that when it was just single glazing.

I have complained to the company several times via phone and 'engineers' have come out to 'fix' the problems. But they're never fixed. They're made worse, or just remain the same. In addition, appointments are all day appointments at least two weeks in the future and only on weekdays. I've had to take so much time off work. The staff never know what they're doing, always make a mess and leave a poor quality job.

The large patio window was actually bowed and after refitting, they had to replace the frame. It's still heavym heard to open, drafty. They're coming back soon.

I've contacted CAB's consumer helpline who advised me to complain in writing and send it recorded delivery, which I have done.

I would like to know if anyone has ever had a similar problem with Safestyle that they have actually managed to resolve? This just seems to keep going round in circles (been going on for two years now). To be qyuite honest, I just want safe style out of my life now. I would like another company to do the work properly...but getting a refund is going to be unlikely as they show willing and come out each time?

Help please!

Just_Joe

Comments

• A.Penny.Saved
    Options
    I have seen lots of problems with Safestyle windows and their service. Watchdog did a programme on them so that indicates what they are like.

I cannot really offer any advice, you might have to take this all the way to court IMO. They have gone bust on many occasions and keep re-opening the company in different peoples names.

They called at my home trying to sell windows and I told them clear off because I would never have them do anything on my home after what I have seen of their work.

The company who fitted the D/G for a previous owner made a poor job of it so Safestyle are certainly not alone in poor work quality IMO. Even respected companies can get things wrong and not do the job to the highest standard.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    I am not a lawyer so my reponse may not be correct.

I would serve 7 days notice on the registered address complete with a full list of defects. This would demand all items rectified within that period to your full satisfaction. If it is not done appoint another contractor and go through the courts to get your costs back - unless you paid by credit card.

You will not get your money back from Safestyle - no point going there.

Do not renew the windows with a new contractor (or be aware that) this could take you over the small claims limit

Finally, Safestyle were responsible for the worst installation I have ever witnessed. What a coincidence!
  • maybe_tomorrow_2
    Options
    I have just had a few quotations for new double glazing in my home. Safe style has agreed to match the cheapest quote I have had and give me a good deal on the finance. I have had the surveyor round to measure up and was quite impressed with how much details he took and seemed more than competent. Understandably he is not a fitter so I am now having reservations about going with them.

I have not placed an order with them yet. Has anyone had a good experience with safestyle? Surely someone must have?

Is it true they contract out the fitting so its a bit hit or miss whether you get a good fitter or not?
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    people never learn
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • maybe_tomorrow_2
    Options
    Is that a no then? I think I'll probably go elsewhere then.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    Options
    Is that a no then? I think I'll probably go elsewhere then.
    You've answered your own question then. ;)

Try to get a recommendation from someone you know who has had windows fitted.
  • skintandfat
    Options
    Did you get credit from Safestyle?

If so you can sue the credit company and Safestyle- they are both jointly liable
  • maybe_tomorrow_2
    Options
    I did ask someone who recently had windows fitted and they recommended safestyle, surely they cannot be the only people who have had a good experience.

If someone knows if a good window fitter and supplier in liverpool could you please send me a private message.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Did you pay for the windows (even if it was only a part of the transaction) with a credit card?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport