Doggy needs eye op due to ulcer.

Options
My poor doggy has to have an operation to get rid of an eye ulcer that just won't heal.

He has been on a course of antibiotic drops for 3 weeks now & although the ulcer has gotten smaller, it still hasn't healed.

Just wondering if anybody else's dog has had an op for the same reason?

Comments

• Dollardog
    Dollardog Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My poor doggy has to have an operation to get rid of an eye ulcer that just won't heal.

He has been on a course of antibiotic drops for 3 weeks now & although the ulcer has gotten smaller, it still hasn't healed.

Just wondering if anybody else's dog has had an op for the same reason?

I've had two dogs that have had that done. I think the first one had his ulcer cauterised. The last one had an op and they stitched his eye lids together for about 2 weeks to protect the eye while it healed. When they took the stitches out he was fine.
    Hope it goes ok, I'm sure it will, I think its quite a common op.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Oh dear hope he doesn't have to have his eyelid sewn together, that sounds like a nightmare. My dog will be devastated.

Maybe I should telephone the vets and ask them to explain the procedure so I can prepare for it. I know I should've asked whilst I was at the vets, but I got quite a shock when the vet said that my dog needed an eye operation.
  • Dollardog
    Dollardog Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear hope he doesn't have to have his eyelid sewn together, that sounds like a nightmare. My dog will be devastated.

Maybe I should telephone the vets and ask them to explain the procedure so I can prepare for it. I know I should've asked whilst I was at the vets, but I got quite a shock when the vet said that my dog needed an eye operation.

No, it wasn't a nightmare, he bumped into things a bit at first but then hardly noticed it after a while. It is better to have them stitched together to protect the eye rather than it get dirt in it. Certainly nothing for you to worry about. Why would the dog be devastated?
    Having had a dog that had to have an eye removed due to a tumour on his eye ball, I can honestly say that they cope really well.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Its amazing how dogs just get on with life. Whatever he has done, Im sure he will cope - dont pass on anxiety to him though will you :)

Is it due to dry eye syndrome?
    Options
    I guess your both right. I'm going to be more devastated than him & I suppose it's for his own good.

No, they tested his eyes for tear production & both are fine. I think it's due to an injury of some sort. I got him as a rescue dog back in August & to be honest, I think a lot of his health issues were there before I got him. Wasn't too long ago, we discovered he had an old fracture to the knee. His x-rays showed up a few small bone fragments dislodged in the knee. The vet advised not to try and remove them as it could cause more problems.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Well sounds like he was lucky finding you :)
    Options
    Well he is having his op tomorrow and to be honest I'm totally stressed about it.

I just wished there was other options other than surgery, like maybe trying other medications first. He has only been prescribed one type of eye drops.
  • Hillbilly1
    Options
    How did it go?

We've had several cats with eye issues. On needed surgery and I wish we had done it sooner.

There are a few different types of surgery. Most commonly taking a piece of tissue from the inner eye lid and sewing it over the ulcer, or sewing the third eyelid across. Both provide the security to heal more quickly. There can be the option of contact lenses temporarily, but they often fall out! Despit the look and need to wear a hat, the other options are better.

The animals cope well!
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    I will follow this thread with interest, having a similar problem with one of my greyhounds. She's into second week of different drops as the size hadn't reduced at last check. :(
    Options
    Well he is back home. Feeling very sorry for himself & very clingy.

He has got one of those collar things on his head as expected & his eye does look sore & weepy.

I've given him some steamed fish and he really enjoyed that.

Just got to hope this surgery works and the ulcer goes completely. The vet told me to wipe his eye using cotton wool pad and boiled water, however, not sure whether I should do that tonight or leave it until the morning. I should've asked but I was feeling quite stressed and just wanted him home.

Will see how he goes this evening & judge it from there.

The vet has stitched the third eyelid over his eye & said it would remain that way for 10 days & then the stitches would be removed. Got to go back for a post op appointment on Monday.

Thanks for all the well wishes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport